Vegans: tryptophan

Options
kirili3
kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
Hello!

I was just wondering how people who try to get tryptophan (for seratonin) from plant-based sources go about it.

A serving is apparently 380mg, which can be found in about 4 ounces of turkey (about 114g), 2.5 oz (about 71g) of mozzarella and a bunch of other non-vegan sources, at a reasonable number of calories. For vegan sources, it would take about 3.5 oz (about 100g) of sesame seeds or 4 oz (about 114g) pumpkin seeds, which are rather a lot of calories.

Some websites say that it's in spinach, but about 500g spinach.

Does anybody have a way around this?

I've added mozzarella with vegetarian rennet for now, but I'd prefer to use non-animal sources if practically possible.

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    This is reason 1001 as to why vegan lifestyles are not enough to be balanced for good health. There are many deficiencies that come from this lifestyle which leads to depression and other ailments.

Why not look into being a Pescetarian?? Its a much more balanced lifestyle and much more sustainable for good health.
  • oneluckysquirrel
    Options
    Chia seeds! Still high calorie but more mg/serving than other seeds.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a nutritionist? I think they also make a supplement. I found one article online that talked about sources.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/09/tryptophan-milk-and-depression.html
  • kirili3
    Options
    Thank you all! Excellent links, will be upping chia seeds :) As for fish, it's a good idea but it's possible to get essentials from plant-based sources, with effort and help!
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is reason 1001 as to why vegan lifestyles are not enough to be balanced for good health. There are many deficiencies that come from this lifestyle which leads to depression and other ailments.

Why not look into being a Pescetarian?? Its a much more balanced lifestyle and much more sustainable for good health.

What a load of crap.
  • amywise10
    amywise10 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Many (if not most) choose to be vegan for more than just health reasons (environmental, ethical, etc.) I can tell you that I'm a lot better off eating vegan than I was chowing down ground beef, deli meats, hot dogs, and Kraft single slices.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    why not just go to your local health food store, for me complete nutrition does the trick for me, i think you're better off just doing that
  • kirili3
    Options
    Thanks, I'll consider supplements if necessary, but it would be nice to get essentials from food instead.
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It looks like dark leafy greens are your friend - 500+ per serving, and remember that leafy greens cook down a lot - what may seem like an awful lot raw will be totally reasonable cooked.. Remember also that you don't need to get it all at once - it can be spread out through the day.