how do you handle trigger foods

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
I have been told on this site that I need self control but if I had any I would not be on here but I am trying. I try to not have my trigger foods in the house. If I buy choc cake I buy one piece. Same with chips, small packages or I eat the whole bag. Do you buy and eat trigger foods when you are getting cravings or substitute something and the cravings go away. Is it better just to have some of what you are craving, last week it was pizza, ice cream waffle cone, ice cream sundae and Chinese. I ate all this in two days and was over about 1000 calories over each day. Seemed to have gotten it out of my system and now eating healthy within my calorie limits.

Any suggestions. I just realized I should have put this under maintaining. Do ya just have what you want or make substitutes or get that self control I keep hearing about.

Replies

• cherow123
    cherow123 Posts: 13
    Options
    Mine is chocolate and I have no self control whatsoever when it's in the house. So I don't keep it in the house. If I need a fix I buy a single serving so I can't binge on leftovers.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have a similar approach to OP. I do not have it in the house but will buy a small package if I really really crave it. The funny thing is I really don't crave any of my trigger foods the way I did last year. I have actually been at a party and had 3 potato chips and stopped.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Self control does not happen over night. It's something you really have to want and work at. Also a bit of trial and error, in finding out which foods you can eat in moderation and which ones you can't. (no matter how hard you try)

I'll eat foods as I crave them, because if not, I will just binge on them later. Brownies and certain cookies are trigger foods for me, I will eat the whole box if they are around. So i'll go to a local bakery (instead of sobey's or Walmart) and buy just one brownie. That way there's no more lying around and I've satisfied my craving. (Btw, they do look at you funny when you buy just one lol. "You know dear, it's cheaper if you buy them in a dozen")

Or with pizza or chinese food, try microwaving a bowl of frozen veg, while your waiting for it to delivered. (or ready for pickup) That way you won't be as hungry when it gets there.

Just some things that worked for me :wink:
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Eating them daily is part of my diet prescription for ED recovery. So, I eat them. In small amounts on rest days, larger amounts on workout days.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think relying only on self-control is dangerous and often sets you up for failure. I prefer to look at the underlying reasons because if I can figure those out, I can probably find a solution that (1) will work better in the longterm and (2) won't be so much an issue of my battling myself with self-control as my only weapon.

So, I'd suggest looking at your trigger foods and why they trigger you. Here are some of the issues I've explored:

(1) Am I getting enough calories? I find that if I'm not genuinely hungry, the cravings are a LOT more manageable. So, I'll eat something nutritious -- often veggies with a good fat and some protein (like broccoli with cheese and some tasty chicken) -- and find that the craving is greatly reduced or eliminated altogether. Never go to Costco hungry!

(2) Am I getting enough nutrients? I've found that when I have intense cravings, it's often because I'm not eating very nutrient-dense foods. Instead, I'm eating stuff with more empty calories -- usually sugar or junk from highly processed foods. They're made that way to make you crave more -- no coincidence there. So, when I focus on eating more nutrient dense foods (vegetables in particular, but good meats and fats too), a lot of the cravings dissipate or they're satisfied with a small amount of the craved fodo. I won't greatly overeat them.

(3) If I'm satisfied with those two, then I start looking into psychological issues. Am I bored? Am I anxious? Am I sad? Frustrated? All common things that will drive me towards sweets personally. Once I realize I'm doing this, I can usually refocus the behavior and eat more mindfully rather than mindlessly. If I'm bored, I'll find something useful to do -- work on my never ending "To Do" list or chores that need to be done. If it's the others, I'll usually opt for a bath, a long walk, some heavy bag work or meditation to calm and process the emotions rather than soothing with food.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    There are some times when I can eat unhealthy foods/meals and get right back on the healthy track afterwards. Other times I feel like that opens the door to the *kitten* its, and then *kitten* it, I went off the rails, I might as well keep going.

I do like having one treat meal per week, usually burgers and fries, Thai or pizza. But lately—and I have been pretty stressed lately and know I eat emotionally—I feel like I get derailed more easily.

Over the years I’ve already given up drinking, smoking, caffeine, avoid added sugars and severely limit my diet soda intake. I’m reluctant to take my treat meal off the table altogether. How can I have one treat meal to look forward to (and help me not feel deprived) without it opening the door I don’t want?

How do you get right back on the healthy track after you eat an unhealthy meal? Or do you just avoid the treat foods that are the worst (for me it’s pizza) for a certain period of time?
  • shammathews
    shammathews Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I absolutely cannot have in my house is Oreos. I will eat an entire package in two days. Everything else I'm great at self control, but those little devils get me every time.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I purchase prepackaged single serving quantities of foods I know I struggle with, such as Doritos. Additionally, for things like pizza, I go out to places that give you pizza by the slice and I never ever get delivery unless I have my sister's kids over.
  • mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I buy small quantities of food I know to be triggers. And if somehow something makes it into the house, I pour syrup and toothpaste on it so that I won't eat it.
    I feel pathetic about it, but I don't eat the food then.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is for me. I can keep dark chocolates in stock and be ok. Debbie cakes and chips I simply cannot buy because I will not rest until they are gone lol!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I avoid cheesecake. Period.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat it and work out more to make up for it
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If trigger foods mean if I see it then I will want it then just about all foods are triggers for me. The best way to handle it in my opinion is to work the foods of your choice into your calorie limit for the week.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't really have "trigger" foods (and to be honest I think people bandy the phrase around a bit too much).

Certainly chips and chocolate are things I can happily just keep eating and left unchecked I will. But eating some chocolate doesn't trigger some uncontrollable urge to devour all the chocolate in the house.

That said the whole "will power" thing is overstated as well and even people with a supposedly iron will are going to fail eventually. So I make sure I'm not too hungry at any time, that I don't have huge quantities of chocolate in the house at one time and that what I have is already portioned out into suitable amounts that I can fit into my calorie goals.

Treating the whole thing as a logic puzzle rather than an emotional one works for my brain type.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    If there are chocolates/cake around and I don't have any, I'm okay. But once I have one piece/bite, it's game over and I binge. So when people bring snacks into work, I generally avoid them altogether. If it's in my house, I will eat it, so I keep it out of my house. Or if I do buy something, I will do like you do and just buy a small portion of it.

I've also found that flavoured teas really help my sweet cravings. I can have a cup or two of Creme Caramel, or Salted Caramel tea and the sweetness of that is enough to curb the craving.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    OP wrote "Is it better just to have some of what you are craving, last week it was pizza, ice cream waffle cone, ice cream sundae and Chinese. I ate all this in two days and was over about 1000 calories over each day."

I'll occasionally have some of my trigger foods but not if it will put me over my calories for the day and especially not if it puts me 1000 calories over!

I might have a trigger food once a month but I don't say to myself that I can have "pizza, ice cream waffle cone, ice cream sundae and Chinese) every month, though some might. Eating like you did last week won't help your weight loss. ("pizza, ice cream waffle cone, ice cream sundae and Chinese) Try choosing one item and only a small serving, once a month.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    LIke you said - Individual Servings ! 2 chocolate chip cookies from McDonald's, individual ice cream for grocery store, etc. How can I get some Ritz crackers without buying a box ? That I don't know...... :explode: :noway: :flowerforyou:
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think relying only on self-control is dangerous and often sets you up for failure. I prefer to look at the underlying reasons because if I can figure those out, I can probably find a solution that (1) will work better in the longterm and (2) won't be so much an issue of my battling myself with self-control as my only weapon.

So, I'd suggest looking at your trigger foods and why they trigger you. Here are some of the issues I've explored:

(1) Am I getting enough calories? I find that if I'm not genuinely hungry, the cravings are a LOT more manageable. So, I'll eat something nutritious -- often veggies with a good fat and some protein (like broccoli with cheese and some tasty chicken) -- and find that the craving is greatly reduced or eliminated altogether. Never go to Costco hungry!

(2) Am I getting enough nutrients? I've found that when I have intense cravings, it's often because I'm not eating very nutrient-dense foods. Instead, I'm eating stuff with more empty calories -- usually sugar or junk from highly processed foods. They're made that way to make you crave more -- no coincidence there. So, when I focus on eating more nutrient dense foods (vegetables in particular, but good meats and fats too), a lot of the cravings dissipate or they're satisfied with a small amount of the craved fodo. I won't greatly overeat them.

(3) If I'm satisfied with those two, then I start looking into psychological issues. Am I bored? Am I anxious? Am I sad? Frustrated? All common things that will drive me towards sweets personally. Once I realize I'm doing this, I can usually refocus the behavior and eat more mindfully rather than mindlessly. If I'm bored, I'll find something useful to do -- work on my never ending "To Do" list or chores that need to be done. If it's the others, I'll usually opt for a bath, a long walk, some heavy bag work or meditation to calm and process the emotions rather than soothing with food.

I've looked at your diary for the last month and the advice that you were given above is perfect for you.

Looking at what you've eaten, your body must be starving! Please ditch some of the processed foods and replace them with whole foods that are high in vitamins, minerals, good fats and protein. Learn how to cook for your own sake.
  • kyoshiwarrior
    kyoshiwarrior Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I've looked at your diary for the last month and the advice that you were given above is perfect for you.

Looking at what you've eaten, your body must be starving! Please ditch some of the processed foods and replace them with whole foods that are high in vitamins, minerals, good fats and protein. Learn how to cook for your own sake.

I know your intentions are probably good, but that was kind of rude. It's one thing to give advice to someone who asks for it, but quite another to tell other people what's best for them unsolicited. What a person decides to eat is their own business.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Either don't keep them in the house OR make them fit into your daily allowance!

Little & often ; )