MFP targets

Options
At the moment, MyFitnessPal has me on 1260 calories for .5 a week weight loss. However, this seems a bit low to me. should I give it a go first or use another method of calculating my calories?
ETA: I'm 5"2, 109lbs

Replies

• Short_n_Plump
    Options
    Bump because no replies
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you whether you want to try MFP's recommendation or use another method to figure your calories. Just remember that the MFP site expects you to log any exercise you do and eat back at least a portion of the extra calories you earn.

I like this post for walking you through the two most popular ways of figuring your calorie goal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just do whatever MFP tells me to do. But if you wanted, you could double check the math by determining your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). From your info, you seem thin and short, so your BMR (the calories needed for your body to perform daily living) will be low anyway (like around 1280 or 1300 probably). Take in to account the fact that you want to lose 0.5lbs a week, and I'm sure you'll find the math works out the same way, MFP just does the work for you. I would try it and see how it goes. If it's too low, then increase your daily calories by changing your goal, or you can increase your activity level, which will give you more calories to eat.
  • londonwoman67
    Options
    at 5'2 and 109 lbs, is actually at the bottom of the idea GOAL weight ..congratz on that ...alot of us would love to be at our goal weights :)

for a person who is 5'2
    small frame : 108-121, Med frame: 118-132, Large frame: 128-143. so if anything you should be on maintenance to keep from losing anymore or gain a bit if you dont have a small frame. just my thoughts on it.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    At the moment, MyFitnessPal has me on 1260 calories for .5 a week weight loss. However, this seems a bit low to me. should I give it a go first or use another method of calculating my calories?
    ETA: I'm 5"2, 109lbs

I follow MFP and have had success doing it. Give it a try.

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way. You are 109lbs and 5'2" - try lifting weights and toning your body instead of loosing 5lbs. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Squats are a girls best friend. You won't look like a man - I swear.