New Chapter New me! My Gastric By-Pass Journey.

Options
kbear621
kbear621 Posts: 32 Member
Good morning MFP family!

As I am preparing to embark on the next phase of my weightloss journey, I thought it would be nice to tell you a little more about me and maybe find some more support. (The support I have found on MFP so far has been amazing!)

I am having the Roux-en-y (Gastric By-Pass) next Wednesday! I started at 557 pounds, lost 5 on my own and then started on MFP.

I had to lose 57 pounds before I could have the surgery and so far have lost 64 since joining MFP at the end of January for a total of 69. It has been a whirl wind couple of months getting ready for the surgery but I feel uber prepared and ready to take on this next challenge.

My goal weight is slightly above my "healthy" range at 200 pounds but I am 5'11" and cannot wrap my head around being 170 lbs. I haven;t been below 300 in my entire adult life. So right now I am shooting for 200 and I will see how that feels when I get there!

So if you have done the math that is a whopping 357 pounds to my goal from my highest weight (288 to go). I cannot put into words how good it feels to know that I will NEVER be 500 pounds again! I have been dieting since I was 12 and it will feel so good to make a change that is life long and not until I get bored or discouraged. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Atkins...the list goes on and on and on and they all have one thing in common, eventually they stop working! They are all great programs but for me they just were not enough.

So here I am, ready to take the plunge. In 5 days! I would love some more supporters and friends to come along this journey with me!

Kara

Replies

• hkabashi82
    hkabashi82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's such a difficult and courageous decision to make, to have surgery! Congrats on your success so far and wishing you continued success!! Keep me posted about everything goes in the next week or so!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good luck next Wednesday and for the rest of your journey. You Can Do It!!!!!
    and congrats for the weightloss thus far, that is awesome.....
    feel free to send a friend request if you want to ......
  • kbear621
    Options
    It's such a difficult and courageous decision to make, to have surgery! Congrats on your success so far and wishing you continued success!! Keep me posted about everything goes in the next week or so!

Thank you so much! Tomorrow is the big day so I probably won't be doing much more than logging my food for the next few days but I will definetly keep you posted! Congrats on your success too! I am rooting for you!
  • kbear621
    Options
    Good luck next Wednesday and for the rest of your journey. You Can Do It!!!!!
    and congrats for the weightloss thus far, that is awesome.....
    feel free to send a friend request if you want to ......
    Thank you! And congrats on being over halfway to your goal!
  • tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm adding you, congrats on the decision and good luck on the follow through :)
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Let us know how the next week goes. I don't know anyoe who has done this. Kind of interesting.
  • disneymama73
    disneymama73 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Best of luck tomorrow! I hope that all goes smoothly!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You go girl!

My husband had a gastric sleeve done in December, and has lost 160lbs since he began his journey. It's an amazing transformation, and a very courageous decision, since there's no going back! Congratulations on your successes so far, and lots of good luck to you for your surgery and recovery. I'd love to send you a friend request. :flowerforyou:
  • kbear621
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will defenitely keep everyone posted. It has been a long road getting here and a lot went into the decision to go this route. I can;t wait to see the results and share them with my MFP Friends!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    So wait a minute. First of all, congrats on your loss so far. You've done an excellent job. Here's my question, only because I don't understand gastric bypass and I'm intersted in the way people think. If you've already lost 69 lbs since January, that's 5 months. So about 70 lbs in 6 months, just to give us a round figure. You'd reach your goal weight in just over a few years at a healthy pace. That's just a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your life. Why not just keep up with whatever lifestyle change you've done to get this far and skip the surgery? Again, I'm not saying don't do it. I'd just like to understand the mindset of someone contemplating surgery for weight loss. I'm not here to judge and to each their own. Just pure curiosity. :smile:
  • tinkbaby101
    Options
    So wait a minute. First of all, congrats on your loss so far. You've done an excellent job. Here's my question, only because I don't understand gastric bypass and I'm intersted in the way people think. If you've already lost 69 lbs since January, that's 5 months. So about 70 lbs in 6 months, just to give us a round figure. You'd reach your goal weight in just over a few years at a healthy pace. That's just a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your life. Why not just keep up with whatever lifestyle change you've done to get this far and skip the surgery? Again, I'm not saying don't do it. I'd just like to understand the mindset of someone contemplating surgery for weight loss. I'm not here to judge and to each their own. Just pure curiosity. :smile:

I can give you my husband's response to this exact same question.

Without the prospect of surgery, the diet is very difficult to maintain. Also, since it's a permanent solution, there's a very tiny margin for being able to gain it all back. Very tiny. My husband was put on a very specific diet pre-surgery, in order to prepare his body for the procedure. That included 2 weeks of nothing but protein shakes, which is completely NOT sustainable long-term (and during which he lost 20lbs). It's that specific, super restrictive diet that allowed him to shed 50lbs before he had the surgery. Not something he could have maintained, and without surgery, he would have continued to struggle immensely with staying on track.
  • madhatter2013
    Options

Without the prospect of surgery, the diet is very difficult to maintain. Also, since it's a permanent solution, there's a very tiny margin for being able to gain it all back. Very tiny. My husband was put on a very specific diet pre-surgery, in order to prepare his body for the procedure. That included 2 weeks of nothing but protein shakes, which is completely NOT sustainable long-term (and during which he lost 20lbs). It's that specific, super restrictive diet that allowed him to shed 50lbs before he had the surgery. Not something he could have maintained, and without surgery, he would have continued to struggle immensely with staying on track.

So, is he on this same diet post surgery as he was pre surgery? Is the diet to prepare you for the way you'll need to eat after the procedure or just to get you down a certain amount of lbs before they can operate?
  • tinkbaby101
    Options

So, is he on this same diet post surgery as he was pre surgery? Is the diet to prepare you for the way you'll need to eat after the procedure or just to get you down a certain amount of lbs before they can operate?

He's on a completely normal diet, now. There's nothing that's off limits except for carbonated beverages (because they'll expand his stomach). The pre-surgery diet, for him, was to prepare his body for the operation. They had him cut out carbs to help shrink the liver, since his was a laparoscopic surgery. Then, two weeks of protein shakes only, to flush his system of solids - that's the only part I'm fuzzy on for its specific purpose. He had a restricted diet after, during recovery, but those restrictions came off as he healed.
  • kbear621
    Options

He's on a completely normal diet, now. There's nothing that's off limits except for carbonated beverages (because they'll expand his stomach). The pre-surgery diet, for him, was to prepare his body for the operation. They had him cut out carbs to help shrink the liver, since his was a laparoscopic surgery. Then, two weeks of protein shakes only, to flush his system of solids - that's the only part I'm fuzzy on for its specific purpose. He had a restricted diet after, during recovery, but those restrictions came off as he healed.

I will answer all of this at once. :laugh: I have been on more diets than I can count and I am great to 75-100 lbs, then my body adjusts to the way I am eating and I start to level off and get discouraged and ultimately it goes back on plus some. The by-pass is a more permanent solution. In addtion, I am very aware that there is still a chance for regain, some, but I have prepared myself for the total life change this surgery is going to bring about and i am ready for that. This surgery is not a quick fix, it is another tool in my weightloss arsenal.

It is not for everyone, I would not suggest it to anyone except as a last resort. For me it is absoulutely that. I have the drive to get the most out of it and keep the weight off. I just need the permanent help the surgery will give me.
  • kbear621
    Options
    Oh And thank you for your encouraging words too! I really appreciate them!
  • madhatter2013
    Options
    Well,good luck on your journey. I'm rooting for ya!
  • kbear621
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I came through the surgery with flying colors! I lost 19.6 pounds in the first 10 days. Counting the 5 i lost before I joined MFP I have lost 90.6 lbs since January 27th (my high point in my doctor's records was 557 recorded that day).

I am still in the pureed food diet for the next 6 weeks or so. So far I have been able to keep some pretty good varitey in my meals even though it all has to be pureed. Eating 2 oz of Protien and 2 oz of fruit or vegetables at a time sure makes groceries last a long time!

There are two chalenges I am having right now, not drinking 30 minutes before or after a meal and not being able to return to my full exercise routine yet. I think that given the complications that could have arisen post-op, I will deal with those minor challenges and just keep walking until the dotor says otherwise! Although I do miss my Yoga!

Thank you again for all of the support!
  • lynnierose9
    lynnierose9 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello I had the gastric sleeve done on 5/29. My highest weight was 454.8 lbs this year. I lost 11 by myself and the rest with the pre-op diet and after. This morning I weighed in at 398.8. I am so excited not to be in the 400's so I can definitely understand where you are coming from. This is my first day on mfp. You can add me if you would like. Here's to continued success and congrats on your weight-loss thus far. I am on full liquids now hoping to be in the pureed stage on Thursday.
  • lynnierose9
    lynnierose9 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Just from another one who had the gastric sleeve. I have been on diets since I could remember. I would loose a little bit and then I would sabotage myself. The past year has been a challenging year and my health wasn't bad but it was going downhill. I was trying for 5 months to loose weight and only lost 11 lbs by myself. At that time, with the Drs help I decided to go for the more permanent solution of wls.
  • kbear621
    Options
    I AM OFFICALLY AT MY LOWEST WEIGHT IN 5 YEARS!!! Yesterday I broke through the 20 minute mile barrier on my walk, which I have been shooting for for month...and I didn't just break through...I blasted through and walked an 18 miunte mile! I am feeling great and am even more convinced that the decision to have the gastric by-pass was the best one for me!

Thanks again for all of your support