I am supposed to eat 2146 healthy calories?...

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Are they? I have no idea about that...I am very newb at nutrition. At the moment I am just looking for healthy carb, fat and protein stuff to reach my calorie goal...I have another 860 calories to fit in today and they are supposed to be 90/27/70 carbs/fat/protein remaining. I think the problem is I don't really know how to sort that out except for plugging food in and seeing what it does to the macros and changing it if it doesnt fit properly.

pre log each day and build your meals round the protein and fat that you need. if you then need some carbs grab a doughnut.
  • bleweydgrl
    bleweydgrl Posts: 55
    Options
    Not all those calorie need to be "healthy". Part of the fun of not starving yourself and eating more food is that you get more wiggle room to fit in the treats. I absolutely agree with peanut butter, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. But would also add ice cream to that list!

^Talenti gelato, even.

Once your nutrient needs are met you don't get extra credit for getting more -Eric Helms. Hit your macro/micro targets and stop looking at food as good or bad! :D
    ^^ This! It might take some time to adjust your mindset but it can also feel so good to realize that food is just food and with the right balance, you can enjoy all kinds of things.

The problem is that I have spent a lot of years perfecting the art of eating crap and I always felt deprived when on a diet only eating low fat food. Then recently I read somewhere someone said 'If you quit smoking would you feel deprived if you could never have a cigarette again? Even when you are doing something for yourself that is really healthy and good?' So it make me think that probably my eating crap is an addiction and I am not deprived by not eating it I am giving myself a healthy body and life. I dont by any means think I will never touch chocolate or ice cream again but I will definately be looking for a more healthy way to make myself feel fulfilled and happy.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Low fat does not equal healthy.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Not all those calorie need to be "healthy". Part of the fun of not starving yourself and eating more food is that you get more wiggle room to fit in the treats. I absolutely agree with peanut butter, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. But would also add ice cream to that list!

^Talenti gelato, even.

Once your nutrient needs are met you don't get extra credit for getting more -Eric Helms. Hit your macro/micro targets and stop looking at food as good or bad! :D
    ^^ This! It might take some time to adjust your mindset but it can also feel so good to realize that food is just food and with the right balance, you can enjoy all kinds of things.

The problem is that I have spent a lot of years perfecting the art of eating crap and I always felt deprived when on a diet only eating low fat food. Then recently I read somewhere someone said 'If you quit smoking would you feel deprived if you could never have a cigarette again? Even when you are doing something for yourself that is really healthy and good?' So it make me think that probably my eating crap is an addiction and I am not deprived by not eating it I am giving myself a healthy body and life. I dont by any means think I will never touch chocolate or ice cream again but I will definately be looking for a more healthy way to make myself feel fulfilled and happy.

Healthy is in context of your whole diet, not individual foods. That's where I think you're missing the point. If you enjoy cutting things out and you don't feel like you'll be prone to binge or relapse on old habits because you like eating those foods you've labeled "bad", more power to you but understand this. No foods are bad. There aren't "junk" food. There's less nutrient dense foods and are only bad if that's the only thing you eat. It's a game of balance.

As far as addiction. I don't think so. Chips, ice cream, pizza, etc are tasty, of course you'll want to eat them. That doesn't make them addictive. People a lot of times put unnecessary terms on an item
    I was prone to emotional binges, I used food as an outlet. Was I an addict? Most certainly not. I found new ways to satisfy that response that wasn't food.

Also, fats are vital for hormonal control and overall health. So low fat is by no means healthy
  • bleweydgrl
    Options

^Talenti gelato, even.

Healthy is in context of your whole diet, not individual foods. That's where I think you're missing the point. If you enjoy cutting things out and you don't feel like you'll be prone to binge or relapse on old habits because you like eating those foods you've labeled "bad", more power to you but understand this. No foods are bad. There aren't "junk" food. There's less nutrient dense foods and are only bad if that's the only thing you eat. It's a game of balance.

As far as addiction. I don't think so. Chips, ice cream, pizza, etc are tasty, of course you'll want to eat them. That doesn't make them addictive. People a lot of times put unnecessary terms on an item
    I was prone to emotional binges, I used food as an outlet. Was I an addict? Most certainly not. I found new ways to satisfy that response that wasn't food.

Also, fats are vital for hormonal control and overall health. So low fat is by no means healthy

I like this, somethings to think about there!
  • bleweydgrl
    Options
    Low fat does not equal healthy.

I have just figured this one out hence the eating overhaul :)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    This is a good read, if you get a chance♡

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

When I started out last year, I thought healthy meant buying all those low fat and diet things that are marketed so well just about well...everywhere! It made no sense to me I could still incorporate the foods I loved into my diet and lose weight and maintain my health. But that's exactly what I did. It really opened my eyes.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Cheese, avocados, nuts and pumpkin seeds are my go to calories for when I want something with an extra punch. I also added a fruit and protein powder shake in the morning and post workout.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    olive oil! roast veggies in olive oil, a good splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salads, stirfry with sesame seed oil and a few cashew nuts thrown in, or lovely fresh pesto, olive oil, basil leaves, pinenuts, parmesan, (sundried tomatoes and roasted pepper for red pesto) and garlic all zizzed up together in a blender (or just buy some from a deli) oh yeah and I guess adding sundried tomatoes/olives/any other anti-pasta roasted veggies that have been marinated in olive oil to your food.

And as others have said nut butters, avocado, dried fruit and nuts, coconut cream for curries, full fat hummus etc I find muesli with a sliced banana, yoghurt and honey mixed in on a morning is healthy and calorific.

And there's nothing wrong with the odd helping of chocolate or cheese :D

mmmm all my favourite things.... stupid 1440 sedentary calories ;_; *kicks rock*
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I think you're putting a lot of psychological weight on food, and that might be something to think about. Food isn't really addictive the way nicotine and heroin are, and I think expecting any one thing to make you "feel fulfilled and happy" is setting yourself up for failure. There's no one way to eat healthy. It may take trial and error to find combinations that work for you, and over time, you'll have a set of go-to meals and snacks. But even if you managed to eat 2146 calories in a perfect 40/30/30 balance, I don't think that alone would make you, or anyone, "fulfilled and happy."

Instead of looking at this as a math problem, what do you *want* to eat? Let's pretend you have no goals, no requirement of eating "healthy," no real world constraints. What do you want to eat? Once you have that in mind, there are probably ways to fit in the things you truly enjoy eating or to adjust them a little to make them fit in. Denying yourself pleasure from food because the internet told you to eat cottage cheese and peanut butter is setting yourself up for failure because you're just going to make yourself miserable and fall off the wagon.

TL;DR: IIFYM isn't going to make you "fulfilled and happy"; getting actual pleasure from putting foods in your mouth will
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Cook with olive or coconut oil. Drink some milk.
  • bleweydgrl
    Options
    olive oil! roast veggies in olive oil, a good splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salads, stirfry with sesame seed oil and a few cashew nuts thrown in, or lovely fresh pesto, olive oil, basil leaves, pinenuts, parmesan, (sundried tomatoes and roasted pepper for red pesto) and garlic all zizzed up together in a blender (or just buy some from a deli) oh yeah and I guess adding sundried tomatoes/olives/any other anti-pasta roasted veggies that have been marinated in olive oil to your food.

And as others have said nut butters, avocado, dried fruit and nuts, coconut cream for curries, full fat hummus etc I find muesli with a sliced banana, yoghurt and honey mixed in on a morning is healthy and calorific.

And there's nothing wrong with the odd helping of chocolate or cheese :D

mmmm all my favourite things.... stupid 1440 sedentary calories ;_; *kicks rock*

^this sounds AWESOME! thank you :happy:
  • bleweydgrl
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all your replies, it has been very eye opening!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything everyone else said.

I like to prelog my day in the morning while I eat breakfast. I make sure I hit my protein goal and then I fill in the rest with goodies/tasty foods that fit in my calorie goal.

Works well, keeps me happy and I lose weight at the same time.
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    High quality chocolate bars
    Ice Cream with natural ingredients
    Eat bigger steaks
    Make some bacon
    A couple big glasses of milk
    Chocolate chip cookies made from scratch

There are so many fun non-processed food choices! Enjoy the fact that you get to eat more and have some fun!
  • bleweydgrl
    Options
    High quality chocolate bars
    Ice Cream with natural ingredients
    Eat bigger steaks
    Make some bacon
    A couple big glasses of milk
    Chocolate chip cookies made from scratch

There are so many fun non-processed food choices! Enjoy the fact that you get to eat more and have some fun!

Thanks Leo, I think I will have to keep this in mind, I did think about trying a nice big steak tomorrow!