Should I Feel Ashamed? :(

Options
So today was day 2 of my C25K program. Day one I couldn't finish all of the runs (only bout 2 or 3...?) but walked briskly throughout the entire 30 minutes when I wasn't running.
Today I finished I think five of them but by that point I was so tired and so out of breath I turned directions home and had to sit on the stoop for a bit to cool down. I'm dedicated, but my body just felt like it couldn't continue.
I plan on doing day three on Thursday and repeating week one because obviously I wouldn't stand a chance on week two yet...Just, how abnormal is it to feel so exhausted?

A little about me:

I've never been a runner.
I weigh about 250 lbs
I'm 21 and have only started walking/running regularly very recently.
I've been walking 1-2 miles a day for the last week or so.

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal if you are new to a program. I gave up at day 1 :grumble: Keep at it and you will build your endurance, it doesn't matter how many times you have to repeat week 1 until you are confident to move on. And never, ever feel ashamed, you are making a change for the better, be proud of yourself :flowerforyou:
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    ashamed that you're trying your best? that's silly. Repeat as many times as necessary to get it down before moving on.
    You should never feel ashamed of trying to improve yourself... where'd you get that idea? Oh, and trying to run when you're not exactly light on your feet is NOT an easy thing to do
    trust me, Kudos to you for your hard work, keep it up.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel ashamed at all! You've never been a runner, so you should ease yourself into it, especially to avoid injuries. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going at your own pace. Your body isn't used to this type of activity, so feeling tired and sore is pretty normal in my opinion. Good luck!
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly normal to feel fatigued when you start a new exercise routine. I am at a pretty high level in my sport and I still black out mid-day during weeks when I add an extra hour of training or a new workout. Give yourself time to adapt and before you know it you will be making massive strides in your fitness (pun intended ;))
  • chandratro
    chandratro Posts: 12
    Options
    You should not feel ashamed at all! Starting out a new program will make anyone tired. Keep at it - in 2 more weeks you will be surprised how well you are doing! When i first started exercising i would do 20 min - - now i can go 120 mins!!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No, don't feel ashamed! You did great! I was never a runner either. I started the C25K program at the ripe old age of 46. It took me 12 weeks to complete because some weeks were too difficult for me and I had to repeat them (or parts of them) until I felt ready to move on. Doing something is better than nothing, and you did a lot! You should be very proud! I would caution you though, to progress slowly if you're not used to running. I did have some foot and leg issues for a bit, but they subsided. My favorite saying is "slow and steady wins the race!" Here's to the tortoise! :smile:
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    you are doing great!! :) we all have to start somewhere. don't give up, starting is the hardest part. :flowerforyou:
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    Just keeping trying and know that the more you move around the easier it will eventually become to do so. I started off running again a couple years back not being able to cover a mile and now I run Marathons. You can do this :)
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed at all. You are taking steps to get healthy and that is awesome! :flowerforyou: Everyone has to start somewhere. If you feel like it is too much, create your own program. You don't have to follow the C25K schedule. Do the first day for a week or so until you have built up strength. Then move to the next day. Keep it challenging but doable.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel ashamed at all. You can repeat the days until you're comfortable and then move on with the program however you'd like, repeating any other days as needed. C25K was one of the best things I've ever done! Keep at it, you've got this!

:drinker:
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    it is perfectly normal. running is HARD and all the people who have been doing it for a while make it look easy... and it eventually will be for you... but it's not at first. It kind of sucks. It's hard to breathe and your body hurts and you get REALLY tired. Just stick with it and you will be surprised by how quickly you improve. You can do it - don't let your body tell you different!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Firstly, no you should not feel ashamed!

Secondly, slow down - however slow you are running, run slower! You should be able to speak whilst you run, if you can't then you're running too quickly. When I started C5K I walked quicker than I ran and even now I'm not that quick. The stamina will come and don't be afraid to repeat a session. I found the last rep of a session was always tough but I'd push myself through so as not to have to repeat the session. Your body will adjust as you go through the programme. I started last year at 300lbs, I now run 20-25miles a week and have my first Half Marathon next month and it took me about 15weeks to complete the programme as I couldn't run 3 times a week because I was so heavy. Good luck :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No! You should absolutely NOT feel ashamed. Be proud. You're doing it.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal. I was about the same stats as you when I started several years ago. It takes the lungs a few weeks to adapt, but after that it will get easier and easier to breathe (the legs/stamina will still be a mind game, but you'll won't actually HAVE to stop like you do for oxygen). Just keep going. You should schedule a 5k at the end of the summer in order to keep yourself motivated. Good luck!
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    You're doing all that you can right now, which means that you are giving 100% effort. Be proud of yourself for the steps that you are already taking and NEVER feel ashamed of yourself. Ever.
  • CynNSinCity
    CynNSinCity Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Even if you tired and had to sit down to cool off give yourself credit for completing as much as you did. You know your body. Re-peating a week or day until you can totally finish that day isn't the end, it's a step closer to your goal. It will take for your body to realize wake up time to get fit!!

I'm starting my C25K today - I've never been a runner though I always envied people who could. I will get there - though it is a long process.

Do not be ashamed though! Be proud, you are taking the right steps to make a healthier you! It took years to get where you are, it's going to take more than just a few days or weeks to get where you want. Take a rest, drink some water and maybe go for a walk, not fast but just a walk to realize yes I am going to survive and yes I am going to lose this weight! Believe in yourself!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    As people have said.

1. Run slower.
    2. The D2, D3, etc. For now, see if you can do the same amount of cycles as you did D1. If you can, add a cycle until you get to the suggested amount. Then progress to the next workout.

Do what works for you, it's the only way you can make it through.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Keep repeating the weeks until you can do it. Pretty common. It took me 13 weeks to get through the 8 week program. And I completed my second half marathon earlier this month. Just because it's hard, doesn't mean you can't do it. Go at your own pace, repeat weeks if/when necessary, and just keep going.
  • klfaircloth
    klfaircloth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last year.. or tried. I never really was able to fully complete the days, I had to repeat a handful of the weeks, and I hurt my hip on "week 7" and haven't been able to run without pain since! I walk now, 3-5 miles a few times a week, because I know I can't run. It's not shameful! It's exercise, regardless of how you get it done. And no matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone who's sitting on the couch!

And in case you decide you're not a runner - walking at a fast pace (3.5 mph or better) burns just as many calories over the same distance as running. It just takes a little longer!
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Never be ashamed at making an honest effort at something new !! All Runners had to start somewhere - just like you...