Newb needing to lose 30-40 lbs.

webkaiser
webkaiser Posts: 21
edited September 22 in Introduce Yourself
I have just starting using MyFitnessPal and I have to say that I love it! I live in Texas and have a desk job. With that being said, it is kind of hard losing weight when I am sedentary most of the time.

I am wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to start losing these pounds that I need to lose?

Thanks

Replies

• DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Calories and cardio! You'll see results in no time.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Welcome! I have a desk job too. The thing that keeps me going is working out first thing in the morning. It gets me motivated for the day and keeps my energy high all day too. I would start with some low impact aerobic workout. I personally like the Cybex Arc trainer full body workout. You can adjust speed and resistance and you can build on it. I would start there and go slow and push yourself everyday.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    The best advice I can give is to be intentional & follow through with your plans. Have a good support system & let people know what your plans are so that you are accountable to follow through...

I am VERY sedentary most of the day because I take classes online. BUT when my husband gets home from work we head to the gym. Rain or shine. Sleet or Snow. Hail or Tornado [okay, we haven't gone in a tornado yet]...but you get the idea!

Good luck on your weightloss!!!!!!!!!!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    what i suggest, as i have a desk job as well, take the stairs and not the elevator, definitely walk on breaks, and try to take the longest way to get to your desk. I thankfully can get up as i walk all over my office to get stuff and file stuff, but any way to make something longer is the best way to go.
  • Hi,
    I sit at a desk job all day as well. We (a cowoker and I) walk on 15 minute breaks around the building. We walk up and down stairs and never take the elevator.

Hope this helps!
    Good luck!!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    I agree walk during break or part of your luch time and park away from the door every little bit counts!! welcome and GL!!
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    welcome to MFP the same here I want to lose 30lbs I'm down 11 so far, I have a desk job and it does get pretty hard at time but one good way to do it is set small goals for yourself and try your hardest.

good luck
  • Also, cut out "white" carbs. Stick with whole wheat items if you want to have the carbs, but still limit how much you have. The biggest thing that is helping me (and it SUCKS), it cutting out the red meat. You don't have to give it up, but stick to mainly seafood and chicken. That cuts down the calories and majorly reduces your fat intake. Chew some sugarless gum if you feel hunger coming on (when its not time to eat yet), because it will curb the cravings for a while. Lastly, drink lots of water and don;t drop your calorie intake below 1200. You may lose weight fairly quickly at first, then your body will go into starvation mode and retain it all. I have been sticking with the above mentioned ideas along with working out at least 30 minutes a day (6 days a week) and I've lost almost 20lbs so far!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    You just have to make time in your day to exercise.....I know it is not easy. There used to be a day when I told myself "I don't have time." I was kidding myself. Now I do it even if it is 8 p.m. at night or 5 a.m. in the morning or anytime in between. It is a must if you want to lose weight and get healthy. Just start out by riding a bike at home (they are very affordable these days), and lift a few dumbells at several intervals during the time you are on the bike. You'd be amazed at how many calories that will burn up in 45 mins. Ride hard for several minutes, then slow down and do 12 reps of arm culrs, then ride hard, and slow down and do 12 reps of overhead triceps, ride hard, do 12 reps of shoulder press, you get the idea. Sort of a modified circuit training????? I wear my calories burned monitor and I can rack up the burned calories easily doing this. If you are interested in staying at home and exercising, look into Beachbody--they have awesome videos as well as P90X, the newest rage. I have not done P90X but I do TurboJam and am about to start ChalEAN Extreme today. Good luck on your journey.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    I started off just parking as far away as I could, about a half mile, that gave me a mile walk every day at work no matter what. Don't make weather an excuse to stop. We all have snow and rain gear. Might as well use it.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    I have a desk job too...I try to take the longer route to the bathroom, and get up and get water as often as possible...I agree with working out in the early am before work so you get it out of the way...sometimes it is just so hard to get out of bed, but important to push thru...

I enjoy doing the elliptical at the gym, it gets me the most out of a workout...especially if you are limited with free time...
This discussion has been closed.