What to put on my rice cakes?

Options
I have been looking for a lower calorie alternative to bread for a while, with the lowest calorie bread I could find being approx 85 calories per slice (170 calories per sandwich!). I recently thought of rice cakes which are about 30-35 calories each.

I do like them plain, but that would make a boring lunch box day after day.
Any ideas for something low calorie to put on them?

Replies

• kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Tuna low fat mayo and finely chopped peppers. Or tinned red salmon mixed with cottage cheese or low fat cream cheese and cucumber. I love rice cakes
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and raisins.....sooooo yummy!
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    no sugar jelly!!
  • hjackson6
    hjackson6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nature's own makes a bread that is 35 calories a slice. Its not bad.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nature's own makes a bread that is 35 calories a slice. Its not bad.

The honey wheat is actually really good!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I use rice cakes a lot - especially the low sodium ones...

For Breakfast I put a little lite mayo on it and some spinach and a cooked egg white.

For lunch: Anything I might put on a sandwich... tuna salad, lunch meat, pulled pork, peanut butter, etc...

I love my rice cakes!
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Healthy life also makes bread around 35-40 calories a slice. My husband and I buy the sugar free wheat bread and it's 80 calories for 2 pieces.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like the tomato basil rice cakes with 95% fat free philadelphia cream cheese, then I dice up tomatoes and let them sit in calorie wise italian and spoon some of that on top! So good!
  • danni31487
    Options
    Rice cakes tends to be dry, what I normally do is save the bread for breakfast like a slice and for lunch if I have a sandwich I will use a half of a wheat wrap which is around 60 calories. Or you can also try st josephes pita breads and bread ofcourse all low calories if you have half the intake! Enjoy! :)
  • bucky17h
    bucky17h Posts: 120
    Options
    I love almond butter!
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow lite cheeses. They have all kinds of new flavors now!
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    "Flat Out"s are fantastic alternative to bread. They're marketed as pissa crusts but they're actually flatbread. They have all kinds of different varieties (they're sold in the deli section of my store). They're 100 calories (90 for the light version) and they make a mean sandwich! I do turkey, cheese, hummus, spinach (or lettuce), and a dill pickle all wrapped up in a flat out. And honestly, it's so big I usually eat half and eat the other half later. Yummmm.... now I'm hungry. :)
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I dip mine in greek yogurt or will put natural pb with some banana's :)
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    sliced avocado.
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have some avocado and Greek yoghurt so will try both of those.
    The light cream cheese and salmon sounds good and if I can find some light peanut butter I will try that too.

Unfortunately it seems that both Healthy Life and Nature's Own bread are only available in the US. I will try some health food shops here and post if I find any low calorie UK alternatives :o)
  • meredith414
    Options
    Peanut butter and bananas! Sooo good. Also, I'm pretty sure Sara Lee makes a 40 calorie bread but I wouldn't recommend it because it won't keep you full. I always eat Ezekiel sprouted wheat bread. 80 calories and very filling.
  • selenamortgage
    Options
    I am addicted to Trader Joe's Crunchy Cookie Butter and the Chocolate Swirl Cookie Butter. DELICIOUS! It's a great snack on rice cakes.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hummus! Jam! PB2!

All delish. Or plain, can't go wrong there either.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You could probably make mini pizzas out of them; tomato sauce, shredded cheese, veggies, ect.
  • whalecb
    whalecb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be rice crackers. There are wraps and sandwich thins and bagel thins.... many many options out there