Eating out tonite - Mexican

Options
Could use some suggestions, I guess on what may be the best choice for me to order. I know I should stay away from the chips and cheese dip, which are my fav. I usually order the chimichanga's, but since they are loaded with cheese, I am thinking I should try something else.

I dont think our restuarant here is big on doing any type of salads, unless it is a taco salad...and that is loaded with cheese and also served in that fried shell bowl.

I am thinking maybe the fajitas, steak and chicken and shrimp, and maybe limit my tortilla consumption?

I am not real sure they do any type of soup either?

Help?

Replies

• alex51026
    Options
    I have avoided Mexican excpet Chiptole and Qdoba because of calories. I hope to see some good suggestions from this post as well. I miss my $1 Enchilada and $1 Pabst Blue Ribbon nights at my favorite Mexican Restaurant right next to my gym!

Good luck!
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Tortilla soup is fairly low in calories, I think.

The Mexican salad is ok if you do the following. DO NOT eat the fried shell. Use salsa instead of salad dressing. Maybe ask for grilled chicken on the salad if you can.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Try seeing if they have soft serve tacos with grilled chicken. If so, add the lettuce and pico de gallo. This is what I order when we go to a Mexican restaurant.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I went to my favorite Mexican restaurant the other night. They have no nutritional info listed on their website or their menus - I have no idea how many calories, fat gms, etc. are in any of their food, and one dish looks just as bad (nutritionally speaking) as any other. I ordered what I love, ate about 1/3 of it, and got a "go box" for the remainder. My son loved the enchiladas I brought home and I fed two people for one. :) I don't know if this helps, but it's what I did.
  • sabell82
    Options
    Usually I will look up the nutrition guide online before I go and I won't even look at the menu because I will change my mind and get something horrible if I do. Hoping the restaurant has their nutrition guide available. If they don't have it online, most should have one if you ask for it in person.
  • mbnharrison
    mbnharrison Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A trick I learned from Lone Star is that most restaurants make their fajitia shells thick enough that you can actually peel them apart and make two from one which is a nice surprise because then you may have your fajitias and eat them too! I would go with the faijitia - as long as you can make your own. You can also ask for the vegetables ie. onions and peppers to not to sauteed with any oil and ask for the cheese and sour cream to not even be brought out. Also ask if you could have straight up avocado instead of their version of guac. as it's guarenteed to be loaded with everything you're trying to avoid but one should never avoid avocado in healthy amounts...or that's how I feel :)
  • snickersnomore
    Options
    You can have fajitas and request steamed corn tortillas instead of flour ones.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    well, No there is no nutritional values online, this is a small mexican owned resturant locally owned here where I live. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Dawnminuscupcakes
    Options
    I have taken my own celery to munch on with the salsa, I need that crunchy fix sometimes.

I usually order chicken fajitas, but ask them to cook it with as little oil as possible. Then, I shove all the goodies I can into one wrap so i'm not wasting calories on the tortilla.

Good luck!
  • meredith414
    Options
    I always get vegetable fajitas (ask for them to go light on oil) and corn tortillas (much better for you than flour) and a side of guacamole to go on top. It's really good and probably one of the lowest calorie things on a Mexican restaurant's menu.