I don't own a scale...

Options
So, I was wondering how it would be possible to track my weight? I know all scales weigh differently, so I'm not sure if I want to trust the scales at the Plasma center I donate at during the summer. I have a Wii balance board, but my entire apartment is carpeted so I'm not sure how accurate that would be. Any suggestions? Do those machines outside of GNC weigh you?

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you don't go buy a scale and weigh yourself in your bathroom?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Scales suck anyway. Take measurements: waist, hips, thigh, arm. You'll be able to see results that way as well.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So, I was wondering how it would be possible to track my weight? I know all scales weigh differently, so I'm not sure if I want to trust the scales at the Plasma center I donate at during the summer. I have a Wii balance board, but my entire apartment is carpeted so I'm not sure how accurate that would be. Any suggestions? Do those machines outside of GNC weigh you?
    Create a balance in your apt with water in bucks. Get enough it the buckets to make it even. Then next week hop on again and if the water side goes down it means you lost weight.

Or you can just buy a scale.
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have next to no money and I know the cheap $15 scales are inaccurate, that's why I don't own one. Thanks for the sarcastic rudeness though. :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale place the scales on a flat board. Don't move the scales or the board. It doesn't matter if its a true reading or not as whatever you start from will be accurate after that.

^^Same advice but place the wii balance board in one spot & don't move it around.
  • Scheezo
    Scheezo Posts: 13
    Options

Do you have a Publix grocery store nearby? They usually have scales.
  • VaporeonSugar
    Options
    Buy a scale place the scales on a flay board. Don't move the scales or the board. It doesn't matter if its a true reading or not as whatever you start from will be accurate after that.

^^Same advice but place the wii balance board in one spot & don't move it around.

Thanks. Will this work on carpet or will it cushion it?

@ Scheezo: No... I just googled it though and it looks rather interesting. I'm on the west coast, so not sure if we have anything like that.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have next to no money and I know the cheap $15 scales are inaccurate, that's why I don't own one. Thanks for the sarcastic rudeness though. :)

Inaccurate? What does it matter as long as they are consistent. Your wii balance board on the carpet will work fine...doesn't matter if its 10 pounds off from your "True" weight whatever that means as long as you can track your trend with it thats all that is needed.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You are quite welcome. Appreciate the kind words.

I have more if you like. Such as maybe if you cut out some of those breakfast claws, blueberry muffins, trips to the paradise bakery and cafe and money to have a wii and obviously some games then maybe you can afford a scale.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Pardon my intrusion and I know this is unrelated to your question but I have a concern about your health so I am going to voice it.

I notice from your diary that your protein consumption is quite low and flipping through I saw no red meats. You mentioned the scale at the plasma center and having little money which suggests that perhaps you are donating blood? Your profile image (sorry for being blunt) shows dark circles under your eyes which is a classic symptom of severe chronic anemia.

Are you getting enough iron? Anemia can be pretty devastating long term and its common affliction especially in women, especially especially in women who are dieting and especially x1000 in women who are dieting who are giving blood (if you are).
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You are quite welcome. Appreciate the kind words.

I have more if you like. Such as maybe if you cut out some of those breakfast claws, blueberry muffins, trips to the paradise bakery and cafe and money to have a wii and obviously some games then maybe you can afford a scale.

Dang guess I'm not the only one riding my witch broom today lol *pops popcorn*
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate? What does it matter as long as they are consistent.

+1. Don't get wrapped up on accuracy. Consistency is plenty to know if you're gaining or losing weight! Just don't be shocked if you go to your doctor's office and they weigh you a few pounds different.
  • VaporeonSugar
    Options
    I probably don't get enough iron. I take a multivitamin, but I know that doesn't absorb well. Most of the food I eat is when someone else pays for it, like my fiance always wants to hang out by going out to lunch. I just buy whatever is heavily discounted. I don't eat meat besides fish, and even then I try not to spend $6 on 14 fillets even though I know they'll last a while.

And @ person who will not leave me alone - I don't pay for the food any time I eat out and the Wii is my ex's because he got the Wii U, so bite me. I make $1000 a month which is nowhere near enough to go run out and buy a new scale for me or to weigh food or any of those other fancy gadgets after taxes are taken out.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Go to a recreation/leisure centre with a gym
    It's under $5 admission and they have scales and you can work out.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a YMCA or a gym? Every month just go there and tell them you are thinking of joining. Walk around and stand on a scale.:p
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Or tell fiancé instead of taking you out to eat save it and buy you a scale.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly, it took me a lot of time to afford to buy a digital scale.

What I would do is pull out a notebook/binder with some extra paper to use as a measurement journal, and then buy a measuring tape from the dollar store. Won't cost more than $2-3, and they will typically be the flexible kind (i.e., not the retractable metal ones) which is ideal.

Take measurements around your neck, upper arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs, and calves. If you are unsure of accuracy, have your partner or a trusted friend do it for you, and write all the numbers down. Re-measure once per month.

Poof! :D Then you aren't obsessing over a scale, for one thing, and measurements will keep you accountable in making smart choices in your food and overall lifestyle. :)
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Buy a good soft measuring tape and go buy measurements instead of the scale:)
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What I would do is pull out a notebook/binder with some extra paper to use as a measurement journal, and then buy a measuring tape from the dollar store. Won't cost more than $2-3, and they will typically be the flexible kind (i.e., not the retractable metal ones) which is ideal.

Take measurements around your neck, upper arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs, and calves. If you are unsure of accuracy, have your partner or a trusted friend do it for you, and write all the numbers down. Re-measure once per month.

This is really good advice. bodybuilding.com has a pretty good section on taking measurements. It shows you where to measure so that you're consistent, and even has videos to explain. I take measurements too, and it tells me a lot more about what's going on than just a number on the scale.

Good luck!
  • VaporeonSugar
    Options
    Do you live near a YMCA or a gym? Every month just go there and tell them you are thinking of joining. Walk around and stand on a scale.:p

Will... will they let you do that? There are three around my area, I guess I could try that.

@ runningagains: I have a measuring tape for sewing. I've never really thought to take my own measurements as a way of tracking. I wanted to track weight in order to figure out my BMI, but I guess that should do.

I'll also see about keeping the Wii board flat and in the same place, but my apartment is rather small so I put it away when I'm not using it. The YMCA idea sounds neat if that works.