Is Shakeology Worth It?

Options
A friend of mine is trying to talk me into doing the shakeology shakes. I just ask, is it worth the money? Will it help me lose the weight? If there anyone on here who has used them and what kind of results have you gotten out of using them?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) Is it worth it?

No.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/445106-is-shakeology-overpriced

2) Will it help me lose weight?

If it causes you to consume fewer calories than you burn then yes. However it is not uniquely responsible for doing that as you could simply track your intake on MFP and lose weight without shakeology.

3) Not using it myself, but I also am not stabbing myself in the eye with a knife because I know better.

Your friend has a financial interest in selling you his product.

Best of luck!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is a type of multi-level marketing scheme. Much like a pyramid scheme, the people who already bought the product get more at a discount if they sell it to unsuspecting friends.

As for product effectiveness, it's a milkshake that's a calorie deficit. There is nothing magical or special about it.
  • Scheezo
    Scheezo Posts: 13
    Options
    Get your protein and fiber from real foods, not shakes. Your friend is trying to make money off you. Oh and stay away from protein powders too. I know a guy who dead lifts near 600 lbs and he doesn't take any of that crap.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    I know many people who swear by it, but honestly you can make your own shakes for a 1/4 of the price and it will taste way better lol.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Get your protein and fiber from real foods, not shakes. Your friend is trying to make money off you. Oh and stay away from protein powders too. I know a guy who dead lifts near 600 lbs and he doesn't take any of that crap.

What's wrong with protein powders???
  • swesthoelterstubbs1
    Options
    You all say what wrong with protein powders. Well Shakeology isn't a protein shake. And I have tried protein shakes and didn't work for me I got sick and didn't have engery. With Shakeology I have more energy, gotten my past plateu lost last of the weight and now goal weight. And just so you all know it doesn't have to be a meal replacement I actually drink a shake with a meal. I do eat 3 meals a day and at least 2 snacks and 1 shake as well.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    1) Is it worth it?

No.

If it causes you to consume fewer calories than you burn then yes. However it is not uniquely responsible for doing that as you could simply track your intake on MFP and lose weight without shakeology.

3) Not using it myself, but I also am not stabbing myself in the eye with a knife because I know better.

Best of luck!

Seriously, listen to SideSteel. He speaks the truth!
  • LaPipebomb
    LaPipebomb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it? I don't know how to answer that. If you're budgeting for everything else as is, then it's probably not for you. It is definitely a lot of money to shell out for about a month's worth of breakfast (assuming you're drinking one shake every morning).

Personally, I loved it. It was freakin' delicious, it helped control my appetite, and I did lose weight while on it. I was also eating healthy, and working out on a pretty strict and rigorous routine. So really had I removed the Shakeology from my morning routine, I'd likely still have lost the weight.

I used to be a BB coach, but I really couldn't bring myself to "sell" people on the idea of buying Shakeology no matter how much I really liked it. I feel a lot more comfortable talking something up when I don't have anything to gain from it.

Bottom line, I personally think it's a worthwhile product, but only if I'm not breaking the bank to buy it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    1) Is it worth it?

No.

Best of luck!

This man knows his stuff.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Is it worth if? No. I tried (was even talked into trying to sell) a similar product, which it didn't take me long to quit both. Did I lose weight? As long as I kept replacing real food with it. Did it stay off? No. Eat real food, get some protein powder if you need it for smoothies and such. You will lose weight, learn to keep it off and save a bunch of money.
  • Walking2myDestiny
    Walking2myDestiny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like it too, but like a lot of other of people said it is good, but pricey!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it? I don't know how to answer that. If you're budgeting for everything else as is, then it's probably not for you. It is definitely a lot of money to shell out for about a month's worth of breakfast (assuming you're drinking one shake every morning).

Personally, I loved it. It was freakin' delicious, it helped control my appetite, and I did lose weight while on it. I was also eating healthy, and working out on a pretty strict and rigorous routine. So really had I removed the Shakeology from my morning routine, I'd likely still have lost the weight.

I used to be a BB coach, but I really couldn't bring myself to "sell" people on the idea of buying Shakeology no matter how much I really liked it. I feel a lot more comfortable talking something up when I don't have anything to gain from it.

Bottom line, I personally think it's a worthwhile product, but only if I'm not breaking the bank to buy it.

I completely agree with this. I use it, I like it, I'm a coach so i get a discount, not to sell it. Are there better products out there? I'm positive there are. I actually like the taste of this one though and I like having it auto shipped to me so I don't worry about running out.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You could also buy Red Mill Whey powder, Stevia, cocoa powder, and powdered vanilla extract and make your own thirty shakes for less than thirty five dollars. Tastes just as good, but it doesn't have as much good stuff as shakeology, but I take a multi-vitamin and eat fruit and veggies, so I'm good.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You all say what wrong with protein powders. Well Shakeology isn't a protein shake. And I have tried protein shakes and didn't work for me I got sick and didn't have engery. With Shakeology I have more energy, gotten my past plateu lost last of the weight and now goal weight. And just so you all know it doesn't have to be a meal replacement I actually drink a shake with a meal. I do eat 3 meals a day and at least 2 snacks and 1 shake as well.

You a beachbody "coach"??
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I agree with this as well. I get a discount, right now, so for me, its affordable. I like that its an automatic shipment. Was I losing weight before I started Shakeology? Yes. I like it b/c its convenient for my first meal of the day and it tastes great, IMO.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    1) Is it worth it?

No.

Best of luck!

Another vote for listening to this guy. ^

You can achieve the same results (or better) just eating normal food at a moderate calorie deficit. It worked for me.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I want to try it at some point but I have no money, lol.

It's $4.33 per shake. I think it depends on how much you normally spend in the morning for breakfast and if you're willing to switch out the coffee for a shake because it's a meal replacement.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my Shakeology. I have such a sweet tooth, but when I drink a shake, the craving is gone all day. It gives me energy. It fills me up. I enjoy the taste.When I am busy and don't have time to sit and eat, I make my shake and go. I no longer take 10 different vitamins, because it's all in the shake. And I hate taking pills!! Yes, I am a BB Coach. I don't pressure people to buy the product. I have given samples out before for people to taste and see for themselves.
    So yeah..I believe in the Shakeology.
  • simplyshannal
    simplyshannal Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Everyone offering me samples is wanting to charge me like $25 for 5 samples and I don't think that is right. My friend is willing to give me 5 for only $10. I am going to give a try and see if I even like it and then go from there. Now that summer is here, I have been at the pool every morning to swim laps and I seem to be getting a ton of energy from just that and my gym time. Thank you so much to everyone for their perspective and time! It is greatly appreciated!
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tried a bag , is it worth it NO! Cost me like 135.00 and after a few days sure i dropped a few lbs but really did i want to drink ,my meals NO! I like food too much I like chewing foods to much. So my 135$ bag is sitting up in the cupboard .