I don't own a scale...

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a YMCA or a gym? Every month just go there and tell them you are thinking of joining. Walk around and stand on a scale.:p

Will... will they let you do that? There are three around my area, I guess I could try that.

@ runningagains: I have a measuring tape for sewing. I've never really thought to take my own measurements as a way of tracking. I wanted to track weight in order to figure out my BMI, but I guess that should do.

I'll also see about keeping the Wii board flat and in the same place, but my apartment is rather small so I put it away when I'm not using it. The YMCA idea sounds neat if that works.

BMI is a ridiculous measurement that has no real-world meaning. Measurements + appearance will give you a better idea of your goals. You do want a waist measurement less than 30" though.
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fit board to weigh myself, it makes fireworks every time I hit a small goal so it's fun. I bought a scale for 5 dollars, it sucks i mean really bad lol so i would stick with that. Also it is no one's business about you money, I would use the wii fit board, oh and I also use a a measuring tape to measure myself, i am not sure if it is the kind you would use for sewing but i think so :)
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have next to no money and I know the cheap $15 scales are inaccurate, that's why I don't own one. Thanks for the sarcastic rudeness though. :)
    You are quite welcome. Appreciate the kind words.

I have more if you like. Such as maybe if you cut out some of those breakfast claws, blueberry muffins, trips to the paradise bakery and cafe and money to have a wii and obviously some games then maybe you can afford a scale.

She did not ask you for financial advise try being helpful instead of a jerk.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have next to no money and I know the cheap $15 scales are inaccurate, that's why I don't own one. Thanks for the sarcastic rudeness though. :)

I have more if you like. Such as maybe if you cut out some of those breakfast claws, blueberry muffins, trips to the paradise bakery and cafe and money to have a wii and obviously some games then maybe you can afford a scale.

What the **** is wrong with you?
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Personally, I enjoyed the water in buckets comment. It made me laugh and when I laugh I feel good. When I feel good I don't feel the need to go searching for my husband's potato chip stash. When I don't eat extra potato chips, the water buckets start getting heavier than I. See, that image just made me laugh again! :laugh:
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a YMCA or a gym? Every month just go there and tell them you are thinking of joining. Walk around and stand on a scale.:p

Will... will they let you do that? There are three around my area, I guess I could try that.

@ runningagains: I have a measuring tape for sewing. I've never really thought to take my own measurements as a way of tracking. I wanted to track weight in order to figure out my BMI, but I guess that should do.

I'll also see about keeping the Wii board flat and in the same place, but my apartment is rather small so I put it away when I'm
    not using it. The YMCA idea sounds neat if that works.

I use a sewing measuring tape to take my measurements. It is defiantly a great way to see if you are getting smaller without a scale. I measure once a month.
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have this cheap-o scale, and it's been incredibly accurate for the 3ish years I've owned it. It's within 2 pounds of the scales at my doctor's office, and if it does start to get wonky (which mine finally just did a couple weeks ago) replace the battery and you're good to go.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Healthometer-LED-Split-Mat-Bath-Scale/10264542

Also, most community health clinics have no problem with you coming in to weigh yourself once a week or month.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Does your workplace have a scale?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Make a want for free post on craigslist. I'm sure some poor soul who's given up on tracking their weight will give you theirs. Or ask family etc. Or buy a cheapo one new or used. My scale likes to give me bogus readings so I have to "calibrate" it with two 10 lb weights each time before weighing. Yeah I trust the readings :)
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way is to have a scale and weigh yourself weekly at the same time in the morning. I'm not sure about other ways, but if you have access to the plasma center, I'd see about going weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc to weigh yourself. Wear the same clothing and go at the same time of the day, early morning before breakfast is typically the best time, but whenever works as long as you're consistent. That way you can get a good overall trend. If you have access to any sort of fitness center with a scale in the bathroom, that's good too.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    And @ person who will not leave me alone - I don't pay for the food any time I eat out and the Wii is my ex's because he got the Wii U, so bite me. I make $1000 a month which is nowhere near enough to go run out and buy a new scale for me or to weigh food or any of those other fancy gadgets after taxes are taken out.

When is your birthday? Because this year I got a scale (husband and son), and a food scale (in-laws) for my birthday. They thought I was kinda nuts, but it was what I requested. Start putting the diet/fitness stuff you want on a wish list, tell your love that items off this list are what you want instead of flowers or other gifts.

Do you do protein shakes? I do Total Lean 25 (GNC) and it's $40 a tub (with GNC membership). One tub is 16 servings, so that works out to $2.50 a meal since all you have to add is water. You don't even need to own a blender, just a blender bottle will do. If you watch for sales you can do buy one get one 50% off which works out to $1.88 per meal. Each one will give you 25g of protein, 8g fiber, and 20% of your iron. There are probably other options out there with similar or lower pricing, I just like the GNC ones because the high fiber makes them filling.
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I'll also see about keeping the Wii board flat and in the same place, but my apartment is rather small so I put it away when I'm not using it. The YMCA idea sounds neat if that works.

I just wanted to chime in and say that the YMCA, at least where I live, has a policy that prevents them from turning anyone away due to financial reasons. I don't know the specifics but I do know that a friend of mine has a membership for $4/month because of her limited income. If you qualify for an affordable rate then you'll have access to a gym AND a scale. Yay!
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I bought my scale at a thrift store for two dollars, people throw them out all the time, tested it next to other scales for accuracy, was fine, did this a few years back as well, think I paid one dollar for that one
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I used a Wii Balance board for a long time (in a carpeted living room). And when I went to the doctor, I compared my weight to the balance board. It was always off by as much as 2 lbs. But for how much I was trying to lose, I really didn't need it any more accurate than that. I mean, if I was only trying to lose 5-10 lbs, it would drive me crazy. But for trying to lose 100 lbs, I only needed my relative weight.

I had to adapt my thinking. It's perfectly normal for weight to fluctuate, so I have get used to bigger fluctuations. So long as the overall trend was downward, it really didn't matter.

I should add the I did end up buying a better scale. I think it cost $20 on clearance. My biggest reason was just that it takes too long to boot up the Wii and everything just to weigh myself. If I felt like I was in any kind of hurry (and I usually did) I just didn't bother weighing myself at all.

Another drawback is that stupid Wii Fit character. When you gain a little weight he asks you why you gained weight like you did something wrong. Considering how much my weight fluctuates, that's really annoying.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Another drawback is that stupid Wii Fit character. When you gain a little weight he asks you why you gained weight like you did something wrong. Considering how much my weight fluctuates, that's really annoying.

Yes! And when you're obese he has to tell you EVERY weigh-in in that sad voice, "That's obese." :tongue:
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fit board to weigh myself, it makes fireworks every time I hit a small goal so it's fun. I bought a scale for 5 dollars, it sucks i mean really bad lol so i would stick with that. Also it is no one's business about you money, I would use the wii fit board, oh and I also use a a measuring tape to measure myself, i am not sure if it is the kind you would use for sewing but i think so :)

I haven't actually used it with the Wii Fit game yet... so I'll see if I can hook the thing up and find the disk this week. And yes, a half-inch thick measuring tape is what I use for sewing, the kind you roll up, not the metal, retractable tool ones. I usually use it for patches or other projects, so I feel a little stupid not thinking to use it for health purposes.

@ FireOpalCO: My birthday is in August, so I guess I can ask for fitness stuff. I don't tend to ask for presents in general since I'm never given any. My family isn't big on birthdays and my fiance isn't a gift type. I might mention it to my STB mother-in-law though since she likes buying us stuff.

@ jrose1982: Thanks for the input. I didn't really think of it like that. I have a large amount to lose, so I guess for the next few months to year or so wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'll start using the Wii board and worry about it more when I notice the weight being gone.
  • Trinehar13
    Trinehar13 Posts: 19
    Options
    You can always buy a cheap scale then get a weight like a 10 pound dumbell and weigh that to see how inaccurate your scale is and go from there.

Today I weighed my 10 pound kettlebell and it weighed 10.6 pounds on my scale which told me I need to subtract an extra .6 pounds when I weigh myself.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Are you more interested in/important that you know your actual weight or just that you lost? If it is more important that you know your loosing compared to the actually number then don't worry about how accurate the scale is at the place you volunteer or wii fit on top of carpet is and use it anyways. My weight always shows a difference between my home scale and dr office. When my dr weights me, it always shows that i'm 2lbs heavier then my home scale however they always reflect the same amount of loss. So if I am down a lb at the dr office then my home scale shows that I am down a lb. Maybe different numbers but regardless one number smaller then the week before. I always go based off the same scale. What is important is consistency with what scale you use, where it is located and the time. For example always use your wii fit board, located by the living room wall, sun morning before you eat/drink. .
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can always buy a cheap scale then get a weight like a 10 pound dumbell and weigh that to see how inaccurate your scale is and go from there.

Today I weighed my 10 pound kettlebell and it weighed 10.6 pounds on my scale which told me I need to subtract an extra .6 pounds when I weigh myself.

Oh wow! This is a wonderful idea. I have 5 lb weights and I can put them on the Wii board to see if it says they weigh what they actually do. Awesome tip! :3
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Oh wow! This is a wonderful idea. I have 5 lb weights and I can put them on the Wii board to see if it says they weigh what they actually do. Awesome tip! :3

Except the innacuracy of scales is largely due to the surface they are on and is therefore NOT a linear innacuracy. What that means is if you have your scale on a floor that has a little bit of give then the first part of the weight is used to press the floor down before it starts to press the scale down. Once you put enough weight on the scale the floor is completely compressed and that innacuracy goes away.

What that means is that a scale, on like a carpet or a floor that bends a bit, will be very innacurate with a light weight like 5 or 10 pounds while being fairly accurate with a heavier weight.

What I would really do to test the accuracy is stand on the scale yourself (thereby compressing the floor) and then stand on it again holding the weight. Then it should read more by the amount of weight you are holding. If you just put a 5 pound weight on the scale it will seem wildly innacurate unless your floor is very hard.

Not to mention a lot of digital scales won't even register a low amount of weight at all.