Concerned: pics of kids

Options
edorice
edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
Maybe it's just me...
It concerns me when I see so many pics of kids on this site. It's so easy to get to this site without logging in or being a member. To browse around and copy, paste, add to photo bucket any image on this site. It is so easy for people to re-use other people's images. Does this bother anybody else?

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. Someone wants to use my picture, feel free, but I'm pretty sure no one wants to be me that's not me.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Not terribly much. I don't add a lot of pictures of my kids, but I doubt there are a lot of "predators" looking around on this site. I'm not being ignorant, but I just think that's an unneccesary worry! Facebook and the like are more problematic.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a kid pic on here in 5 months... ? As long as the images are not illegal, abusive, or malicious in nature- it seems unlikely someone would want to copy them... and why would anyone ever want to do that? Easier just to Google if they want to put "fake kids" on their site... ?

I'm just generally confused by what you mean with your post.
  • Aquamarine7
    Options
    I have to agree. People are way to quick to show pix of their little ones on the net.. it's scary. I also think that mandijo is right about Facebook, it has to be the scariest place to put your personal info IMHO.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    While I share your concern, we can't let fear rule us and prevent us from sharing our lives with others. In today's connected world we no longer have control of our images. Even if I were to never post images on the web, nothing stops friends and family from doing so. I'll bet most of us have a picture on the web that someone else posted without our consent.

This is not really just a myFitnessPal issue but rather an issue that concerns any social site such as Facebook.

Good topic to discuss though.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a kid pic on here in 5 months... ? As long as the images are not illegal, abusive, or malicious in nature- it seems unlikely someone would want to copy them... and why would anyone ever want to do that? Easier just to Google if they want to put "fake kids" on their site... ?

I'm just generally confused by what you mean with your post.

They are all over this site. There is a saying that you can never be too cautious.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me...
    It concerns me when I see so many pics of kids on this site. It's so easy to get to this site without logging in or being a member. To browse around and copy, paste, add to photo bucket any image on this site. It is so easy for people to re-use other people's images. Does this bother anybody else?

I don't see a problem with it. Any pictures I post of my daughter have me in them though I would imagine that Google, Facebook and Myspace would be more a place where people are looking to steal pictures from. I only say that because a lot of people don't think about privacy settings in the social networking setting. A lot of people tend to just see it as them and their friends list so they are more likely to post personal pictures ect.
  • sweetiekayk
    Options
    I really don't think it's anything to worry about. If people want to steal pics of kids they can get them from almost anywhere. My daughter's pic was in the newspaper twice this week (most newspapers also have an online version with the same pictures). My son has had news stories done about him so his face is on the internet. He was also on the Ronald McDonald House Website. As long as they're not inappropriate pictures, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. My kids are on my ticker cuz they're the reason I want to lose weight and get healthy. I feel proud when I look at it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    There are scarier places to find your kids pictures...we just commented on the stalking website...where they can see a picture of the front of your house...or the website that shows you were all the perverts live in your area...we have to face facts that our lives are no longer private, and in order to protect your child you have to be aware of your surroundings. Instead of trying to shelter them, educate them about strangers and gut feelings...that's what I do anyways...the cutest picture in the world is my facebook picture...and it's my son rocking out with a paper jam.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It does concern me since there are so little privacy features on MFP, that is why my profile picture is just me instead of me with any of my siblings/friends.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have pictures of my kids up and while I am not ignorant to the evil out there, it's just my kids pictures are everywhere anyways. I have family across the country and they all post pics of family on family websites, ancestory.com, FB, etc. My kids pictures are in the papers for sports, visiting the nursing home, etc.
  • JGCowboy
    Options
    I am proud of my son and he even works out with me some nights trying to do the P90. It has helped us bond and he is keeping me motivated. There are sick people everywhere no matter what. Let's say you never post a pic on here, who's to say that some gross person isn't drooling over your children when they get off the bus or playing at the park. I am really not concerned about the net, I would be more concerned about someone actually trying to come into my home or get near my son. I don't worry much though because I have a patrol trained German Shepherd and a readily available Glock22.... I believe that each person will have their own level of comfort with the technology in society today....
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My kids are grown up so I don't have to worry about that. The lilttle girl in my profile pic is me as a little girl. Child predators wouldn't want me now because I'm not nearly as cute as I was then. :laugh:
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I am like that with myself and my kids! If you see a picture of me my face will never be shown. I always edit the photos to chop my head and blackout my childrens faces but it is rare they are even in a pic I post. Even on other websites I may post a pic of my child but take them down shortly after posting JIC. I am paranoid like that though:wink:
  • Aquamarine7
    Options
    I am like that with myself and my kids! If you see a picture of me my face will never be shown. I always edit the photos to chop my head and blackout my childrens faces but it is rare they are even in a pic I post. Even on other websites I may post a pic of my child but take them down shortly after posting JIC. I am paranoid like that though:wink:

Exactly what I do. :D
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Not really..I have a few of my kids in my profile
    How about all the adults in their bras and underwear
    I know we are trying to track and show our weight lose/progress which is great (which everyone should be proud of) but I think there is a line some people cross...intentionally
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    Not terribly much. I don't add a lot of pictures of my kids, but I doubt there are a lot of "predators" looking around on this site. I'm not being ignorant, but I just think that's an unneccesary worry! Facebook and the like are more problematic.

I agree with mandjo - I just posted a pic of my little people because I have built up so many neat friendships on this site - just wanted to boast a little as I am a proud Dad!

Cheers!
    Don
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Not really..I have a few of my kids in my profile
    How about all the adults in their bras and underwear
    I know we are trying to track and show our weight lose/progress which is great (which everyone should be proud of) but I think there is a line some people cross...intentionally

I promise to never post a pic of me in my training bra and granny panties. :laugh:

What??? :embarassed:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I promise to never post a pic of me in my training bra and granny panties. :laugh:

[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with granny panties...at least you aren't picking your butt floss out...now that's classy lol:embarassed:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Your posts are killing me today Shannon and I have sexy granny panties that come up to my eyeballs, but they are comfy so I say screw it!
    :ohwell: :embarassed: