Frozen veggies

Options
Ice_Arrows
Ice_Arrows Posts: 46 Member
Are they really just as nutritious as the fresh variety? Is there any way to cook them other than stir fry or soup?

The fresh vegetables where I live can get kind of expensive, 4 dollars for a small head of broccoli or a cauliflower and a 300g pepper(stem and seeds still attached) in the fridge cost me almost 3 for an example. I love them all and could easily devour them in just a few days but that would add up quick for someone living on their own with not that great of a job.

Sometimes they will go on sale but mostly I find myself buying the cheaper bags of frozen veggies and hoping they're as good for you as some people claim.

Replies

• Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Ive heard and read that frozen veggies are just as good because they are picked at the point where they are picked at the peak of ripeness and freeze them so you get all the nutrients. :)

Eat away! :)
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read says that frozen are just you as good. Try the steamfresh kind that you put the bag in the microwave they come out great. you can get them seasoned or plain. I stay away from the sauce because that can add lots of calories.

I often nuke my frozen veggies in a bowl. just plain. peas are perfect that way.I will add tomato sauce for flavor if needed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read says that frozen are just you as good. Try the steamfresh kind that you put the bag in the microwave they come out great. you can get them seasoned or plain. I stay away from the sauce because that can add lots of calories.

I often nuke my frozen veggies in a bowl. just plain. peas are perfect that way.I will add tomato sauce for flavor if needed.

this.

I only add S/P and butter to mine- I LOL at "serving" sizes on those steamables- it should just say "1 bag = 1 serving"
  • Ice_Arrows
    Ice_Arrows Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone =)

Never tried them microwaved yet. It sounds interesting will have to try it soon =D

And yes, those steamables are definitely considered one serving at my place as well :laugh:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Love frozen veggies. Great healthy side dish for a speedy dinner.
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend this youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjsOOT347cA

In short, frozen might be even better than fresh...
  • localised
    localised Posts: 25
    Options
    some studies have shown that produce high in vitamins c & b can lose some nutrients when frozen.

on the other hand, fresh produce begins to lose nutrients as soon as it's plucked off its vine/tree/whatever so it's a toss-up i think. i go with frozen because it's more compact and i don't need to worry about eating everything before it spoils. :)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    They are just as good, but check the back of the bags for confirmation.

I love to steam veggies, and I know their is evidence to the contrary but I don't use the microwave to nuke them because I worry they will lose nutritional value (it's a bit of a tic).

But here's advice to help microwave them anyway!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/21/health/upwave-microwaving-food/

But where I live the steamfresh microwave veggies are really expensive - kg for kg, it's cheaper to buy fresh.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are they really just as nutritious as the fresh variety? Is there any way to cook them other than stir fry or soup?

Ugh, I am a serious frozen veggie junkie. I have had days where all I want to do is nuke a whole bag of cauliflower and broccoli or Brussels sprouts and just go to TOWN on them. I almost always microwave frozen veggies and they're just dandy by me.

Some frozen veggies can also roast well without much if any nutritional loss. That is to say that roasting in general doesn't impact the nutritional value, but some frozen veggies would probably turn to mush. Firmer veggies are better. Corn roasts just fine frozen or fresh. Frozen zucchini, on the other hand, would probably be goo where fresh holds up better. Ditto with grilling.

I often use frozen spinach {thawed and drained} in baked dishes as well as soups.

And you can always do assorted frozen veggies in smoothies if we aren't talking strictly serving things up hot.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

But where I live the steamfresh microwave veggies are really expensive - kg for kg, it's cheaper to buy fresh.

Yeah, it's more expensive than just buying plain frozen veggies, so I stock up when they are on sale. Just so much easier to steam in the bag though than having to take them out and put them in a bowl... they never turn out as good that way for some reason.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love bags of plain frozen vegetables. You can get almost anything - although I do find freezing changes texture. That is I prefer the texture of fresh spinach to frozen or fresh steamed broccoli to frozen. But they're still a God-send, and very cheap and easy to use.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    We live in a more northern climate so buying fresh produce isn't cost effective year-round. There are some things that I enjoy better when cooked from fresh (carrots, broccoli, onions, potatoes). Other things don't matter to me (peas, corn, green beans). We have a healthy amount of frozen veg around at all times. It really makes meal prep much easier.
  • time4change2k14
    Options
    One of my favourite snacks is steamed frozen broccoli with a bit of olive oil, garlic and a pinch of salt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    on the other hand, fresh produce begins to lose nutrients as soon as it's plucked off its vine/tree/whatever so it's a toss-up i think. i go with frozen because it's more compact and i don't need to worry about eating everything before it spoils. :)

This. In season I tend to prefer fresh, but in the winter or for things they have to bring in from far away anyway or for items you are going to have sitting in your refrigerator for days, frozen may be even better. It kind of depends on how you are using them, but for a lot of stuff frozen tastes just as good too. Also, you don't have to worry about it going bad.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I keep a stock in my freezer. There is a lot less prep work with frozen veggies. But some do freeze better then others.
    I usually just steam it, sometimes make fajitas, or throw it into soup, stir fry, pasta sauce, etc.

I don't have a microwave so its stove top or oven cooking for me.
  • stevensdaniel717
    Options
    According to mens health magazine frozen vegetables are better than fresh from the store because they are blast frozen immediately. It causes small ice crystals that protect the plants cells from breaking down keeping all of its nutrients.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are great for you. I like to roast my frozen veggies just like I do fresh with coconut oil, sea salt and pepper. Still yummy. Sometimes i'll eat up the mixed frozen veggies, add some butter and then toss it with rice and seasoned ground turkey. Another way I eat them is with my roasted chicken. I toss a bunch of different frozen veggies like potatoes, brussels, baby carrots, broccoli and put it in the pan with the chicken to roast in the oven. It gives the frozen veggies tons of flavor from the chicken and spices.
  • brittanylyse
    brittanylyse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bahah...I feel the SAME way, girl! 3 servings = 1 of my servings ;) Gotta love being fit & healthy!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are just as good as fresh ones, some say even fresher because they are usually flash frozen after being picked. This applies to the vegetables that do not have additives.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are great for you. I like to roast my frozen veggies just like I do fresh with coconut oil, sea salt and pepper. Still yummy. Sometimes i'll eat up the mixed frozen veggies, add some butter and then toss it with rice and seasoned ground turkey. Another way I eat them is with my roasted chicken. I toss a bunch of different frozen veggies like potatoes, brussels, baby carrots, broccoli and put it in the pan with the chicken to roast in the oven. It gives the frozen veggies tons of flavor from the chicken and spices.

Edit: Wanted to add that I think it is a great money savor to buy frozen veggies. They go a long way and don't go bad fast like other veggies.