25 lbs. lighter and no one has noticed

Options

Replies

• HLindsayA
    HLindsayA Posts: 46
    Options
    I can kinda relate, but in an opposite, but no less discouraging manner.

I'm down about 30 pounds now (my ticker is off :/ ) and I've had family and friends comment, but their comments actually irritate me, because it almost feels like they're lying, because * I * don't see it. I see the scale moving, and to some degree my clothes sizes changing (I HATE that I can wear a 12 in one pair of jeans, but STILL a 16 in another, it irrtates the CRAP outta me).

Anyway, I'm frustated that I'M not seeing the changes, and I'm trying so hard not to get frustrated. All I can tell you, is what I tell myself- don't give up. I started telling myself, 'today is a day I will keep going, so today is a day I will not give up'. Sounds silly, but I have to appreciate my successes moment by moment, to acknowledge that I haven't given up.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'1", but no one said anything until I lost 40 pounds. Now, everyone mentions it!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it for yourself or other people?

THIS.

I know it sounds douche-y, but 'tis truth. Most people are so wrapped up in their own drama they barely notice others exist, let alone lost weight. This is about you anyway, so fck 'em.

YUP. YUP. YUP
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP. I know how tough it can be when it feels like no one is noticing your weight loss. Last year I went to my hometown on vacation and was down 45lbs and no one said a damn thing.

But you have to remember that you're not doing this for them and 25lbs is very often hard to see, especially from the people who see you daily.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It took me 60pds before people said anything to me
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's not really good to congratulate someone on losing weight.. that's like pointing out how someone has gained weight. What if you are not trying to lose weight? What if you are losing weight for reasons such as poor health or depression which you can't control? We shouldn't comment on each other's weight because we should accept everyone regardless of their body type...

Now, if you have a gym buddy or someone who is working with you to a common goal.. then I would expect them to congratulate you!

25 lbs is a lot! Congrats on your amazing progress :)
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Most likely they have noticed, but don't want to risk saying something and being wrong or implying they thought you were overweight in the first place. They worry that it might just be something else, like clothes or make-up, so they will wait until they are very sure and even then they will down play it so they don't sound like they thought you were fat before. Some won't say anything until they see you are lighter multiple times and until they are sure you aren't dying of something. Heck, I started at 220 and some people didn't say anything until I lost 50 lbs a year later. In other words, I lost nearly a quarter of my body weight before most people said something like "did you lose a bit weight recently"?
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bit taboo to ask unless you are close friends... like asking a woman if she's pregnant based on belly size :huh: One doesn't like to be wrong!

And congrats - that's a lot of hard work!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It will come; just keep at it. 25 lbs is less noticeable on taller folks than on those who are more height challenged. Also, body composition can be a factor as well. It is also possible that others are noticing but don't want to comment - some folks don't like to be singled out ...
  • chazza55
    chazza55 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    nobody started commenting on my weight loss until 30lbs down......even then it was only one or two comments.

i am now 50lbs down and since 40lbs the comments have been flooding in.

I think people are less likely to comment on women's weight loss than a man's as it may be seen as impolite.

I am sure the comments will come in time and in moderation they are nice to receive, but for now remember it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks and don't pin your motivation on other people's comments. As others have said at the end of the day you are the #1 reason why you are on this journey.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was down 30 before anyone noticed and now that I hit 50 even more people are noticing.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The bigger you are, the more you have to lose before people will notice. My sister is 5'3", started at 230 & is down to 195; I can just now barely tell a difference.

^This^ I'm 5'4 and started at about 220 lbs. It took me losing about 25 lbs before my husband could actually see a difference. And even then, I think he was just being polite. He said it was because he saw me every day that it was not so noticeable. I realize that it really is that the bigger you are, the more weight you have to lose before anyone else can notice. I'm now about 175 lbs and I've stopped caring if my husband notices so much. The fact that I can see and 'feel' every two pounds I lose now is enough to make me happy. It did take till about the 40 lb mark before everyone else seemed to notice, or at least comment.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm about 6'1" and overall have lost approximately 70lbs. I haven't been able to change to new clothes, and have received very few comments outside of MFP friends regarding my appearance and how it has changed.

I disagree that people do not say anything because they are jealous or whatever a lot of people like to say. The fact of the matter is, everyone is in their own bubble, and frankly, they probably don't pay enough attention to your body to notice. When you have a lot to lose, as we do, even good-sized chunks of weight are very hard to notice, especially since you're losing overall, and not just in one area.

You really do need to remember that it's about yourself. Do you see a difference?

One of the things that will get you the most attention is going to be the confidence you exude. Carry yourself with pride, and people will wonder. Live a healthy life, and it will come more and more naturally to you. However, waiting for someone else to comment... it's kind of a recipe for disaster.
  • suzhutt
    suzhutt Posts: 1
    Options
    It only matters that YOU notice. People are quirky and you can never guess why they say or don't say something. Be awesome for you, the Hell with everyone else. : )
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and have over 100 to lose. People didn't comment until I was down 50lbs. Which was fine with me, I don't discuss my weight or what I'm doing with anyone, so it's not like they knew I was trying. Now that they've noticed, I say thank you if they comment and only if they ask, do I tell them what changes I've made to get here. To me, it's still not noticeable. Sure, my clothes are looser, that # on the scale is different, but I don't see it when I look at myself. If I don't see it, how can I expect anyone else to?
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It will depend, amongst other things, on how big you started. I lost 15% of my bodyweight before my own sister noticed! So long as you feel you're progressing (and you are by the way, congrats on 25lbs down) then don't worry so much about what others do/say.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well done on 25lbs!

Agree with previous comments about it being a mixture of people not noticing and people not wanting to comment. Isn't there something about it takes four weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your loved ones to notice a difference and 12 weeks for others to notice a difference? Not sure if I have the timings right there and I'm not sure how that might translate into numbers on the scale, I guess that will be different for different body types.

By the way I'm 5'10" too so I do understand. It can be a little frustrating sometimes that the difference between the next dress down for me is probably about 15-20lbs yet for someone quite short it can be 7-10lbs. However, there's not a lot we can do about our height!
  • blackizbutiful
    blackizbutiful Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous statement as well I am also a 5"10 female and no one is complimenting really on my weight loss. I am also an endomorph body type my weight is in my midsection. But the way I look at it is that I am progressing my clothes are fitting much looser. And also take tonnes of pictures I do comparisons just to keep me on track
  • jjwilde265
    jjwilde265 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    no one really notices until it goes off your face. then I get annoyed when they tell me to put weight on. lol like other people said they will notice eventually. just keep doing what your doing. :-) x
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I asked a friend whether sh'ed lost weight....she said yes, about 4 stone!! that's 56 pounds! now I'm not her best friend and we only see each other every other week...but really..I suppose her larger bosom may have disguised belly shrinkage (she doesn't wear tight clothes) and were I to see a picture of before and after I would see a big change...I was gobsmacked