Not going down - low energy - something wrong?

Options
Hi there...I started a week ago now. I am 40 Lbs overweight and it has been adding up slowly since 2004, when I moved to Canada. I used to live in a Caribbean country and walked a lot. That's the only difference. I basically eat the same as before: I'm not a pop drinker, nor eat too many cakes. My "problem" used to be pastas and bread (white).
A year ago I had surgery and gained more weight than ever. My eating habits had not changed, but I walk less as my work requires I sit at the computer for hours. I don't have any workout machine at home, except for a mechanic "walker", and I don't have money or time to go to a gym. My only options are walking my dog twice a day over the weekends and on Spring-Summer everyday, as now it is too cold/rainy/dark to walk outside.
I've noticed that my energy levels are very low, I tend to get sleepy after lunch and around dinner time (so tired I cannot go out or do anything), my knees hurt and I can't stay at the walker for more than two minutes: my legs hurt and I lose my breath.

I have two questions:
1) A year ago I cut the sugar in tea and coffee. Nothing happened, I continued gaining weight (I have to say that I didn't cut bread, cookies with the coffee nor pastas or fats) - A week ago I cut all fried things, butter, all sugars (no cookies anymore, just nuts and apples), changed to whole wheat bread, no pastas or rice, added lots of veggies and some more protein and reduced portions except for breakfast and veggies, that I allow myself to eat as much as I want (saldas with olive oil and avocados, lettuce, spinach, carrots, etc). I started with 177 and went to 174, then stopped: nothing has dropped since last Tuesday (three days ago). What may be happening? I have not noticed anything on my clothes either: same bloating, same problems with pants...

2) Does anybody have ideas of how to boost your energy when can't do more tha two minutes in that machine? I can walk for 30-40 minutes (fast pace with my dog), but cannot make it with the walker machine (it is more an stepper), and feel too tired to do anything after 6 pm...any ideas???

Replies

• eternalchimera
    eternalchimera Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have two thoughts: Get your thyroid checked, and try taking a vitamin D suppliment. Many people I know start dropping weight when they start taking vitamin D.
  • FeistyKitty808
    FeistyKitty808 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This could be important: have your Doctor do a blood test to see how your vitamin levels are. The reason I say this is because you could be low in Vitamin D, your body naturally makes Vitamin D when you are in the sun, if you are spending more time indoors you could be low on D. This can affect your energy levels big time, I had this happen to me. I had to start taking D suppliments and feel better. Google Vitamin D and you can see all that this can affect. Moving from a sunny location were you spent more time out of doors to a less sunny place and spending a lot of time in front of a computer can make a BIG difference. Some people that are in areas that don't enjoy as much sunny weather use artificial sun lamps for a period of time every day, this helps to maintain both their health and their moods. Just a thought.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I agree with both of those recommendations! I have low thyroid and can really feel it when I miss a dose or need the dose adjusted. you are also used to gettting a lot more sunlight, and so vitamin D would be good. I posted last month for advice about winter blahs and somone recommended Vitamin D drops instead of pills, what a difference I feel!!! so much more energy and optimism too. of course it's always a good idea to check with your doctor...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Along with the vitamin D, have your B's and iron checked. You may have also reduced your intake too much. Shoot for the recommended 1200 Net per day, maybe up the protein a tad too. I had the problem of getting sleepy in the afternoon and had to add a protein snack when that happened.

Good Luck!