I feel like such a failure

Options
This week I weighted myself and did not lose nothing. I feel like such a failure like I just messed all this up trying to get healthy to lose the weight. I have lost 27 lbs since March 26, 2014 so I guess that is good. My calories were messed up last week in not knowing what I could and could not have. I started at 1510 lost 10 lbs then it dropped me down to 1200. So there four some days I had a hard time making it 2 900 a day then for a couple of days I went way past that. So I guess this was just one of many weeks I will be let down. The feeling of not seeing the scale move is so intense to me. I just want to set here and cry.

Replies

• 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and pictures. The scale is a dirty liar. Also:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I've only lost 15 lbs since December, but I'm down 2-2 1/2 sizes. From 14-16's to 12-10's. I even have a couple pairs of pants in size 8 now. Don't get discouraged. It takes time and patience, and you can do it! Focus on one day at a time.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!! You're doing something right :smile:
  • purplerunnergirl
    Options
    Please don't feel like a failure! Look at how much you have achieved! 27lbs lost is amazing! Sometimes it will stall for a bit - I KNOW how frustrating that is! Look at other ways you may feel different - maybe take measurements as that can change more than the scale. Maybe the drop in food was too much for calorie intake, maybe you should try eating at 1400 or something and gradually drop down. There are so many factors that affect scale weight so please please don't feel like a failure, you've done awesome to lose all the weight you have so far, stay strong and it will move again!
  • swinnie239
    swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try resetting your loss rate to a lower number. MFP sometime really likes that 1200 number, which is pretty low. If you lower the rate, it'll give you back some of those calories. Once you get used to it, maybe you can put the rate back to where it was, but give yourself some time.

There's also always exercise, go burn some of them off and you'll get a bit more that day.

Chin up, though!
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    First, deep breath. This is a long term life change, not a quick fix. We are all here because of a lifetime of bad habits/choices. They will not go out the window in just two months! Give yourself some time and permission to have weeks that aren't as good as others. Heck, sometimes we have months that aren't as good as others. Just remember your goals, and why you want to be here.

Also, you need to eat enough to fuel your body. If you don't eat enough it is harder to lose weight. Visit http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It will tell you what you need to know. It sounds to me like you aren't eating enough! It is easier to keep up a diet if you are not trying to eat a measly 1200 calories! It probably dropped you that low because you have quick loss goals, but MyFitnessPal won't drop below 1200. I would HIGHLY encourage eating much more than that. No one wants to lose weight fast then gain it back because a caloric goal isn't sustainable.

You aren't a failure. 27 pounds is 2 months is a HUGE loss, you might need to change your expectations a bit as you continue weight loss. GOOD LUCK!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    And not sure if it helps, but whenever my dirty rotten nasty scale stops moving, I always lose inches that week. It's a weird thing, but it happens almost EVERY time. I'm fine with that because that's the ultimate goal. No one will ever know the number on the scale unless you tell them, but they will SEE how hot you are everyday!
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    no tears for you now come on !! You look what you have accomplished so far, and where would you be if you never started this healthy eating and working out. You would be no where except in a state of wishing!!! I messed up for 12 days,that is not going to stop me. we have a knew ice cream/ bread/ baked goods in the neighboring community that just opened up, she is a pastry chef, and her Cibatta bread is awesome. I found myself going over the bridge to her place & indulge .I did almost nightly after work.
    now my stomach feels bloated like a beached whale. I did this to myself over a piece of nightly food that I did not need.i thought a tatse her and a taste there would be okay, well guess what NOT. So you can look at your entire menus work outs and mix or add something different. Do not give up!!
    Judy:smile:
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    This week I GAINED 5 pounds and I'm not pregnant or an invalid! So maintaining would have been a success!

Don't feel badly; at least you're not losing ground!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    So there four some days I had a hard time making it 2 900 a day then for a couple of days I went way past that. So I guess this was just one of many weeks I will be let down.
    Something to think about...the days you barely make it to 900...those days set you up for days of overeating. You restrict too much and the body's response is IM HUNGRY. If some days you aren't feeling hungry enough to reach your goal, just eat more calorie dense foods. A handful of nuts is 200 calories and barely takes up room in your belly. Cook with olive oil...bam, another 100 calories. If you do not feed your body and provide it appropriate nutrition, it will eventually demand more food.
    The feeling of not seeing the scale move is so intense to me. I just want to set here and cry.
    I do not say this to be mean...just to be realistic: get used to it. Some weeks the scale won't move. Some weeks you will think you've been perfect, but the scale will show a gain. Sometimes, you'll have a crazy cheating weekend and a few days later wonder how the heck you are 3 pounds down. Do not let the scale dictate your mood. It's just one tool you have to track progress. If it upsets you that much...put the scale away. Weigh yourself once a month just to check in. You will know if you're on track (or not) by how you feel and how your clothes fit.
  • Dragonborn79
    Dragonborn79 Posts: 161
    Options
    And not sure if it helps, but whenever my dirty rotten nasty scale stops moving, I always lose inches that week. It's a weird thing, but it happens almost EVERY time. I'm fine with that because that's the ultimate goal. No one will ever know the number on the scale unless you tell them, but they will SEE how hot you are everyday!

I like this. I was down the other day because I had a jump in weight. Then I tried on some old jeans that I couldn't button few months ago...they were loose. Like, I can pull them down while they're zipped up loose. I didn't care about the scale anymore. I need to start measuring myself consistently though. It really is a good idea.