Detox diets

Options
What are everyone's opinions on doing this?
As a beginning to your weight loss journey.

Replies

• sherrywoody1
    Options
    I don't know but glad you post, hope you get a lot of feedback.
  • withanurgency
    Options
    I did a "detox" once. Reacted badly to it. Got a headache, was annoyed and cranky. Couldn't sleep. To me, it wasn't worth it. A lot of people swear by it. I just started eating better and cleaner day by day.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Oh you will get a lot of feedback.

Personally- I think they are kind of extreme and a bit of a waste of time. I'm good with the "little engine that could" method.
  • MsTrudy66
    MsTrudy66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This one is right up my alley! LOL I am the detox queen! I have to because my body has a hard time eliminating toxins, so I see a Naturopathic Dr. to help me. Instead of a professional intensive detox, just go to a drug store or a natural food store and buy a detox kit. I am on day 8 of a 14 day detox.. It contains a fiber supplement, a gentle laxative, and milk thistle supplement. It is great for your liver and getting toxins out of your organs and out of your gut. Then when you start eating wholesome fresh fruits and veggies, you will have so much energy you'd think you were taking energy drinks! Haha. Yes, I highly recommend doing an occasional, or seasonal detox. It's so beneficial.
  • MsTrudy66
    MsTrudy66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    On a side note, just to explain that if you feel sick or sluggish when doinga detox. When your body eliminates toxins (which is the goal) the toxins make you feel sick. That's normal. It's temporary and goes away. Be gentle with the exercise during this time, and drink lots of water to flush the toxins out.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have spoken to my Dr and a dietician about this subject to confirm my thoughts . . . they are crap. The companies that sell these products are in the busines of making money, they don't care about your health.

They are for people who think they will get a "weight loss jump start" . . . but that is just another "fad". There is no short cut to losing weight, it is simple, eat "clean" healthy food and move more . . . there is no quick jump start. They are just for people who don't want to put in the work but get instant results . . . but in reality they do not work at all. Results are temporary at best.

The best "detox" you can do is to eat VERY clean and healthy and drink a ton of water, stay away from fatty protein and alcohol . . . go back to the basics.
  • Jerri_Thompson
    Options
    Cleaner eating is the best way! Getting more fruits (especially berries)and raw veggies is a great start. Also regular excercise also helps rid of those toxins as well! Drink 8 or more glasses of filtered water a day (more if you are active) and eat healthy. Thats the natural way to detox. Unfortunatly, those medicine adn drinks and such are just ways of companys to make money off your hopes of "cleaning" out your body. I hope this helps but its your decision. I think most of us are on the same boat of not recommending those "quick fixes". :flowerforyou:
  • KayakDeb
    Options
    I love the ladies in Hollywood who "de-tox their bodies" - then have Botulism injected into their faces!?

Our bodies get rid of what needs to be gotten rid of. With or without our interference - otherwise, you'd be dead. The best thing you can do is supply your body with nice fresh foods - and let it do its "thing".
  • Tonika44137
    Tonika44137 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My detox method is VERY clean eating....9 days straight I'll eat nothing but oatmeal (in the morning) and fruit and veggies all day...I drink lots of water and exercise
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies and water is your best bet.