crossfit? need info.

Options
What exactly is it? Is it like a "boot camp" style workout with different drills or do you rotate stations with a trainer?

Just curious. I don't think I'm at this level yet but am looking for information.

Thanks y'all. :smile:

Replies

• Shan_Lindsay
    Shan_Lindsay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    They do hour long classes with a WOD (Workout of the Day). The class contains stretching, warm up, workout and more stretching or rolling out... Depending on the gym you go to, some make sure to make an effort that everyone is using proper technique. Some people are completely against CrossFit, others love it.

My husband does it 3-4 times a week and LOVES IT, now he's going to become a certified CrossFit trainer. I tried it, but it wasn't for me. I loved the lifting part of it, but there are things like box jumps & rope climbs that I didn't like because I have a fear of falling, so I wouldn't do them. They do offer alternatives to all workouts and for all fitness levels, but it just wasn't convenient for me time and location wise. They offer a 2 week training course before you actually do a class, if you get a membership.

It's definitely something I'd suggest trying if you are interested.
  • sarrajmann
    sarrajmann Posts: 1
    Options
    The risk of injury with crossfit outweighs the benefits, I would not recommend, its a one way ticket to snap city!
  • Michelebecker
    Michelebecker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Most CrossFit locations offer beginner classes or "free" classes, usually on a Saturday or Sunday where you do not have to have the knowledge of olympic lifting to participate. Don't ever think that you are "not at that level." When I started Crossfit I was out of shape and had to quit after 5 minutes. As time went on, I finished last... a lot, but I kept going. A year and a half later, I don't finish last anymore, but I still have to scale most of the WODs because I can't do a lot of the bodyweight things still (full push up, unassisted pull ups, etc...) Just make sure you find a box who has coaches with experience in coaching and aren't fresh out of certification, or are being overseen by someone who has been coaching awhile. If you decide to join you will most likely be required to go through a class called "fundamentals" or "on-ramp" to teach you all of the basics of lifting and movements.
  • Michelebecker
    Michelebecker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Done well and carefully, I find this to be completely untrue. (In response to the risk outweighing the benefit comment.)
  • ericalyn73
    ericalyn73 Posts: 79
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What exactly is it? Is it like a "boot camp" style workout with different drills or do you rotate stations with a trainer?

Just curious. I don't think I'm at this level yet but am looking for information.

I'd describe it as circuit training essentially, fairly generic highish intensity stuff. The Workout of the Day will vary so sometimes it'll suit, sometimes it won't. There is a lot of focus on olympic lifts, which a lot of people seem to like.

As a concept, yes bootcamp is probably closest. Very dependent on the quality of instructor, and it doesn't take much to qualify so there are risks, but the same risks as any type of class environment.

As an all round, non specific session it seems pretty good if that's your thing. As it's non specific personally I don't see much point.
  • Shan_Lindsay
    Shan_Lindsay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The risk of injury with crossfit outweighs the benefits, I would not recommend, its a one way ticket to snap city!

Like others said, if done properly, if you have the right coaches or you know what you're doing, injury isn't necessarily going to happen. Injury can happen with any type of exercise though.

My husbands been doing it for a year, 4-5x a week and has not had any injuries.