What do you do when you just don't feel like eating?

I'm going through a very emotional time right now and in a clinical depression that will probably be short. This might sound super dumb but I've made the decision to put my pet to sleep. It hit me really hard this morning and my stomach is in knots. The idea of eating makes me feel sick to my stomach.

I know my body needs nutrients and energy from food but I just can't think about it.

Help?

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Hmmmmmm. Never have had that problem. I could only pray!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I'm sorry to hear about your pet. It's never easy to do something like that.

I've rarely found myself in a position of not wanting to eat. More often then not, I stress eat, and use food as my emotional counselor. Since going to a therapist and dealing more with my emotions, I've been finding myself with my stomach in knots more often.

Best you can do is just be cognizant that you do need to eat. Put something as nutritional as possible in your stomach at reasonable times.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    I don't know. WishI had that problem lol.

Mine is always "what do you do when you feel like eating all the time?" lol
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Call a doctor because I'm probably sick.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    Maby make yourself some smoothies and protein shakes?
  • anfielle
    anfielle Posts: 1
    Eat your favourite food!
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Just make sure that whatever you do eat is going to be good for you, if nutrients are your main concern. Try some fruit and nuts or a good sandwich then at least you'll be able to get the main food groups in

I'm the same when I'm sad, food just tastes like cotton and feels like lead in my stomach. But being hungry ultimately makes the negative emotions worse, so try and eat a bit of something if you can.

Sending my sympathies your way - losing pets is just one of the worst things.xx
  • tsubaki4
    tsubaki4 Posts: 24
    Personally if I don't feel like eating, I just workout. That tends to provoke my appetite. Also drinking your calories is a great option.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    One thing to consider is to let those emotions you're feeling out and make sure you don't keep them penned up inside. When we had to put down the family dog that had been with me through really stressful (and sometimes downright) periods in Junior High, High School, College, and my battle with cancer, I tried to keep it together and wound up making myself physically ill (as in I thought I was going to throw up). But when I finally gave in and let it all out, I felt better.

Beyond that, you do need to focus on the point that your body needs those nutrients, just like your car needs gas and your computer needs electricity. That may involve things like the aforementioned smoothies and shakes, or it may involve simply making yourself eat small amounts at a time. There's no need to force yourself to gorge on more than you want, but you might find that it helps if you prevent "hunger" from being one of the things weighing you down.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    I'm so sorry about your pet. I've been through times like that too, depending on my emotion, I eat too much or too little. Sadness always prompts a period of weight loss for me. I at least try to eat enough to get me through each day, some crackers or apples, and drink plenty of water. Also, some tea with honey has always helped.

I hope you find some comfort and peace with your decision.
  • TXSweety09
    TXSweety09 Posts: 30
    I'm so sorry to hear you had to make that difficult decision. Our pets are like our children and I can't imagine having to have one of mine put down. (((hugs)))

I agree that you do need to put something in your stomach. Protein shakes would be a good option as you could just sip on them. Just be sure to make good choices so you don't jeopardize your progress.

God Bless!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear about your pet :(

You should eat something so you keep some energy to get through a difficult time. Cereal, toast, etc - that's what I'd do.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    The only time in my life that I couldn't eat (besides stomach flu) is when I had to put my cat to sleep. It's horrible. Try snacking a little bit just to keep your energy up. Your pet needs you right now so even if you can only nibble to keep your energy up, try to get something in your stomach. You can also drink some calories.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Oh, those are always horrible decisions to have to make. Hugs for you. I get like that, too, sometimes, when things are really difficult. I don't force myself to eat when I'm in that state, but I also don't let it go for more than half a day, either. After a certain point you'll start to get lightheaded and that will make things worse. Keep it light and nutritious, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, and let yourself grieve. You'll be back on track soon enough.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    So sorry to hear about your pet. When my cat passed away someone shared this with me:

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

*hugs* to you a pet is part of the family, take the time you need to grieve and take care of yourself.

Karen