So I had to take a break from C25K

Options
It's been about 12 days since I last ran. I got to Week 6 Day 3 and completed it.
I am 5ft 1 and I weight around 12st 8lbs (I only weigh myself once a month and it's not muscle).

It's a combination of excuses and valid reasons. Long work days 12 hours+, migraines and feeling blue. It's all combined it make me feel really ****ty about myself so I need to get back out there.

What I need now is should I start again at the same place in the program? I am really scared I am going to fail because I don't know how well I can handle it after this long of a break. For the runners, do you find the first one back harder? Did you take a break like this and you were fine? What's your best advice?

Replies

• spartanliam115
    Options
    maybe do week 6 again (you have already done it so you know you can)
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I took three weeks off running due to an infection, my first run back was absolute murder. Before I got sick, I could run 12 miles without stopping, my first run back i had to walk at the first mile point. I would jump back a couple of weeks in the programme so as not to discourage yourself if you dont manage week 6.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I got to W5D3 and got an injury which has taken a few weeks to get over. Last week I restarted and did the whole of W5 again. Moving onto W6 tomorrow. Well done for getting to the end of W6 in the first place: it's quite an achievement. In your position I'd re-start at W6 as it isn't that much different to 5 and see how you get on. Good luck and I'll be with you :smile:
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I had to take a break as well I was on week 5 last time I ran was on May 13 I think I am going to skip back to week 4 day 1. I would say try to go back to where you were but don't be discouraged if you need to go back.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What I need now is should I start again at the same place in the program? I am really scared I am going to fail because I don't know how well I can handle it after this long of a break. For the runners, do you find the first one back harder? Did you take a break like this and you were fine? What's your best advice?

I would suggest stepping back at the very least to the start of week 6.

I've had a couple of twoweek breaks and find the first couple of sessions a bit harder to deliver on, as you're still learning I'd suggest doing something you know you'll complete as your first objective.

What's the worst that can happen, a nine week programme takes 12 weeks to complete. That's what I did, for a variety of reasons, and it's not harmed my running a year on.
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I missed all of last week because of calf/foot pain that I am getting checked out today. If I get the green light from my doctor, I plan to repeat the last day I did (W3D2). Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    why not just go running without the app? just go for as long as you'd like, as far as you'd like. don't be chained to the app to determine how much you're progressing.

and in my experience, i've realized that the short runs add up. after not having run for months, i would warm up on the treadmill before lifting weights by running a half mile up to a mile. and then one day after 2-3 weeks, i went out and ran a nice and fast 3 miles.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It's been about 12 days since I last ran. I got to Week 6 Day 3 and completed it.
    I am 5ft 1 and I weight around 12st 8lbs (I only weigh myself once a month and it's not muscle).

It's a combination of excuses and valid reasons. Long work days 12 hours+, migraines and feeling blue. It's all combined it make me feel really ****ty about myself so I need to get back out there.

Stop being scared of failing. If you can't complete the workout do what you can and keep at it till you move onto the next phase. The only way you will fail is if you quit.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I've doen c25k.

for me it was a short break and as such i tried goign back where i left off and I was fine. I'd try that first without pushing but just as an assessment.

then decide from there if you want to go back a few sessions or just go forward.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. It's all gratefully received.