Hi Support belts for heavier squat and deadlift

Options
prium01
prium01 Posts: 306 Member
Hi All,

I am currently into heavy lifting and have been for an year with a break of two months in between. My trainer suggests me to wear support belts for heavier squat and deadlift to save my lower back...Is it that important? Does anyone wear those. Do I need to wear if my form is correct, which I presume is correct..

Thanks!!
Prium

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am currently into heavy lifting and have been for an year with a break of two months in between. My trainer suggests me to wear support belts for heavier squat and deadlift to save my lower back...Is it that important? Does anyone wear those. Do I need to wear if my form is correct, which I presume is correct..

Thanks!!
    Prium

It's not necessarily needed. I guess it comes down to personal choice. I have back issues, but focus on form first and don't use a belt. Some will say it hinders your core development, which we all know, Squats and Deadlifts are awesome for.

Since I don't wear a belt, I can't offer much advice in terms of brands and price. But one thing that I've heard and read, is that you want a belt with good thickness and also the same width all the way around. Not the ones that go from narrow to wide width.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I only wear belts if I am maxing out on compounds or lifting heavy loads 5+ plates on DL or Close to 4 plates on squat.

I highly recommend Belts by Inzer (Lever or Single Prong) it is what I have been using for a while and a lot of my powerlifting buddies swear by it.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response!! I am though only through with 65 kg deadlift and 50 kg squat...so not much...
  • Archanasatyam
    Archanasatyam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    good question.. i squat 60 and deadlift 80kgs prium.. the gym guy tells me the same.. as long as u focus on good form.. the chances of injury are less.. goodluck
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A belt won't "save your back". A belt helps assists with intra-abdominal pressure. I personally only use one for my working sets of Deadlifts.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you are indeed are lifting heavy ( as oppose to heavy for you ) then it may be worth considering - think about it - many MANY olympic lifters wear belts - Most people I know when they start getting to a certain point use a belt
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Adding to this conversation, at what point do people recommend starting to wear a belt? My squats are over 200 lbs now, and my deadlift at 225. I weigh 180, and am a female. My PT said that it's probably time for me to start looking for a belt for my heavy sets. Thoughts on that?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am currently DL 200lbs and have squatted 180...yet to "need" a belt...I weigh 152-153...when I was squatting 180 I was 165...

Not sure if I will ever go heavy enough for a belt on my squats..DL maybe..
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used to use belts for deadlifts and squats and stopped after an unrelated injury made me take some time off. I started back with the philosophy that if I couldn't lift a weight without a belt, strap or wrap then I didn't need to do it. That philosphy has slipped as I'm can't hold my current deadlift without wraps, and I'm looking at a powerlifting competion in the fall and will be using one then, so I probably start training with one in advance.

They will improve your performance slightly though nothing dramtic. Inzer is a top name and a quality belt that will outlast you, but you'll pay $90 to $100 for it.

Edit to add I'm at 425 for squats and pulling 545 and a slovenly 285 male.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've heard that 225 lb is a good place to start using a belt, but I have just recently returned to deadlifts and squats after not doing them for a few years. I prefer raw lifts and don't use any straps, wraps or belts. At 205 I can deadlift 325, bench 305 and haven't maxed my squat but recently did 245 x6. I also rarely lift with a spotter so this limits my range. Best advice I can give is to make sure your form is on point before worrying about heavier weight, that alone will save you from injuries.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't think that needing a belt is as much about the weight that you lift (how many pounds) but more as in how much it is compared to your max. I generally use it at weights 85% of my max and above.

I can't remember where, but I read that using a belt will actually help with your core strength. Using a belt just adds pressure and gives something to press against. You still need to engage your core.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    A belt won't "save your back". A belt helps assists with intra-abdominal pressure. I personally only use one for my working sets of Deadlifts.

this- most people are using them incorrectly.

The belt stabilizes you (and your back) by giving your abdominal muscles something to brace against- allowing everything else to be protected.

The belt doesn't do the protecting itself....which means your trainer sucks- get a new one.

I use mine for my 80% and higher squats- I'm not as happy using it for DL- but I will when I'm 90% or higher and I'm feeling shakey.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Use a belt to lift more. Don't use it to protect your back. Learn proper technique, form and breathing to protect your back.

Belts are aids to lift more. I wouldn't try to dress it up any more than that. Having said that, I have several awesome belts. I'd get one from Inzer; either single prong or lever. Good belts will last years.

ETA: The belt in my profile picture is a custom form Bob's belts. It's three shades of blue, embroidered on the back and a thing of beauty. It was a gift from my husband :smile:
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

This. They aren't some magic device.