how to get defined butt

Options
2»

Replies

• George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I second hip thrusters. Glute bridges are good too but I think you get greater range of motion with hip thrusts. I gained about half an inch on my booty doing those (eta: and squats/deadlifts of course) and eating at a slight surplus for a month.

I find squats to be quad dominant, probably because high bar is much more comfortable than low bar for me.

Another authority on the subject! :love:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I second hip thrusters. Glute bridges are good too but I think you get greater range of motion with hip thrusts. I gained about half an inch on my booty doing those (eta: and squats/deadlifts of course) and eating at a slight surplus for a month.

I find squats to be quad dominant, probably because high bar is much more comfortable than low bar for me.

Another authority on the subject! :love:

:smooched:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Loads of butt knowledge for us to look into. X

A subject that definitely deserves further investigation

His is pretty solid too! (I mean, I'm assuming.)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    In for booty experts! And cause it's hump day
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I low bar squat and DL...I have rounded mine out quite nicely...or so I've been told...

I have yet to incorporate glute bridges or hip thrusts in...

But to give you an idea most people believe my hips are 36inches...(narrow hips) but they measure 38 due to the butt...:drinker:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will need to drop body fat a bit more, but I second the Bret Contreras recommendation.

Romanian Deadlifts, Glute Bridges, Hip Thrusts are all great.

I also do cable kickbacks, adductor, and weighted step-ups.

Another vote for checking out Bret and adding Hip Thrusts to your lifting routine.

And another vote for Bret. Check out his Strong Curves program. I started adding hip thrusts as an accessory to Stronglifts and the shape of my butt improved quite quickly. Now I'm doing Strong Curves and it really hits the glutes and gets them working. I'm only 3 weeks in, but I would like to think things are shaping up even more.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options

And the panel is complete.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

+1
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    In for butts. I'm still debating a bit on adding in accessory work. I'm doing SL right now but eating at a deficit so while I've started working in some hip thrusts since I figure it can't hurt anything, I'm not sure how much good it will do since I'm not likely to be adding any mass.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Idk, but can I just say I'm super jealous of your stomach?
  • snivvy
    snivvy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Big thanks to everyone who recommended Bret Contreras. Apparently its called the glute-hamstring tie-in and bodybuilders like it and actively try to define both muscles whereas I think what myself and a lot of other women are after is a Jen Selter style booty that 'pops' out.
    Bret says to isolate butt exercises, like many of you guys recommended, hip thrusts are the way to go. You can do them on a normal bench too...now to try it, on my own, in a very male-focussed gym...awkward.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Bret says to isolate butt exercises, like many of you guys recommended, hip thrusts are the way to go. You can do them on a normal bench too...now to try it, on my own, in a very male-focussed gym...awkward.

It is awkward at first. You'll get used to it...
    Now I just feel like a badass when I'm doing them (3x a week, yep, in a mostly male gym as well). There is something empowering about loading up that barbell and guys are wondering WTF I'm about to do with that weight... Yep, thursting!! Haha. I've had 1-2 person come up to me and ask me what exercise that is. I actually don't notice that many stares, really, men at my gym are mostly into looking at themselves in the mirror.

I was doing squats and deadlifts, as well as lunges and step ups but I credit the new amount of muscle in my butt to the Strong Curves program... and hip thursting! Bret Contreras <3
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just started Jillian Michaels "Killer Buns and Thighs" last week and can already tell a difference. The workout is intense!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    yeah squats and dealifts with progressive loading is the best way to go already. But dropping BF could work, or bulking for a while to build some muscle in that area and then dropping again.

Yup! +1