Best exercises to lose extra skin and fat on lower abdomen.

Options
13»

Replies

• Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I really don't get why so many people assume you're not doing anything else when you ask about some new exercises to work a particular muscle group.
    Your thread topic is throwing them off. You asked for exercises to reduce loose skin and fat. There aren't any. Now if you're looking for ab exercises to strengthen core and abs, then there are so many you can choose from:

http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exercises.com/abdominal-exercises.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well THANK YOU kindly! That's awesome! Enough things there to keep it interesting forever. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Just didn't hope for so many. Very cool.

Guess in my mind the only way to lose flab is to build muscle. Loose skin, to a point anyway, is the same to me. You have to tone and tighten to help get rid of it. That means building muscle or recovering it, as the case may be.
  • lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Someone made the comment to me on here, abs are made in the kitchen. I am finding this more and more true , my goal is to have a flat toned tummy before i shoot for abs, but as i started my clean foods diet i am seeing more of a drastic change along with working out 5x a week!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I really don't get why so many people assume you're not doing anything else when you ask about some new exercises to work a particular muscle group.
    Your thread topic is throwing them off. You asked for exercises to reduce loose skin and fat. There aren't any. Now if you're looking for ab exercises to strengthen core and abs, then there are so many you can choose from:

http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exercises.com/abdominal-exercises.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well THANK YOU kindly! That's awesome! Enough things there to keep it interesting forever. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Just didn't hope for so many. Very cool.

Guess in my mind the only way to lose flab is to build muscle. Loose skin, to a point anyway, is the same to me. You have to tone and tighten to help get rid of it. That means building muscle or recovering it, as the case may be.

The problem is you keep saying you are eating at a deficit, but then saying you want to build your ab muscles. You can't do both at the same time. If you want to build your ab muscles, you need to be in a calorie surplus. If you want to cut fat, you eat at a deficit. You don't do both at the same time.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Wow. Those were all such great suggestions for exercises to add to my current routine. Seriously. Way to comprehend what you read and respond with an actual answer to the question.

Try table pushbacks and fork put downs. Seriously, if you have 50 lbs to lose, start there. And don't blame your "2nd son" for this.

lol maybe could have left off the latter sentence but this ^ is solid.

Can't spot reduce fat.. Lord knows I tried... wasted months doing it as well.. its diet, or its full body exercise or if you want to look ideal its both.

I eat at a deficit, I do cardio daily, I do yoga most days, and do strengthening excercises 5 times a week. If I choose to target my abs and work at rebuilding those muscles during 3 of my 5 strengthening days, that's my prerogative. Before you tell someone they need to not eat, maybe you should see if they're already addressing that. I really don't get why so many people assume you're not doing anything else when you ask about some new excercises to work a particular muscle group.
    :noway:
    It certainly is your prerogative, and its not even a bad choice, its a great choice. - just laying out what the ideal is.
    And I never said "need to not eat" ...I eat about 5 times a day.. eating increases your BMR.. I highly recommend eating, I just recommend eating the right things.

And I didn't mean to come across as hostile in my response - it was an attempt to assist :flowerforyou: .
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You won't like this either but it's great advice and had exercise suggestions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

This. It was written by me. I had two kids (got pregnant while I was obese) and I have visible abs now. It does include exercise suggestions. The most important parts to take away are:

1. It's going to take time.
    2. Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. Can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Core exercise will help the muscle if you don't have too large a diastasis recti, diet will help the fat. Time is what you need to help the skin.

Three years after my c-section my muscles had returned to almost normal (I did P90X) and I had the fat under control, but my skin was still a mess. I had a modified tummy tuck to lop off the excess skin.
  • cnickolem
    cnickolem Posts: 15
    Options
    I started diet and exercise along with MFP 2 weeks ago. I also have a flabby belly and loose skin that I've been trying to get rid of but I don't think there is a sure fire way to do it unless I choose surgery. I have focused on core cardio and ab workouts, which has since built up the muscle behind my loose skin and flabby belly and actually toned it up and filled it in. I'm just glad its not flabby or loose anymore.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You won't like this either but it's great advice and had exercise suggestions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

This. It was written by me. I had two kids (got pregnant while I was obese) and I have visible abs now. It does include exercise suggestions. The most important parts to take away are:

1. It's going to take time.
    2. Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. Can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet.

one of the best threads I've ever read on mfp.

and love your 2nd point ;) very clever !
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's no way to dump the skin unless it wants to leave on its own. The only thing i can exercise for it now is patience....in finding a sugar daddy to pay for its removal.
  • Sherbear1109
    Options
    Core exercise will help the muscle if you don't have too large a diastasis recti, diet will help the fat. Time is what you need to help the skin.

Three years after my c-section my muscles had returned to almost normal (I did P90X) and I had the fat under control, but my skin was still a mess. I had a modified tummy tuck to lop off the excess skin.

Thank you for sharing how long it took to get your muscles back to what they should be. I was not prepared for the complete uselessness of your muscles that the c-section caused. So far it has been a struggle just to get those muscles to where I can actually feel them again. It has been very frustrating. It's nice to know how long it took for someone else to recover.
  • Sherbear1109
    Options
    I see what you're saying Hornsby. Maybe a better way to put it is that I'm trying to shed my extra inches, but I'm also trying to rehab or rebuild my lower abdomen. It took close to a year after the c-section just to be able to feel or use my lower abs. Now that they are functioning, if poorly, I am trying to get those muscles working properly again. So I put extra focus on them to help them recover.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I see you got offended by my saying not to blame your son. From your profile: "My short term goal is to repair the ridiculous amount of damage my 2nd son caused to my stomach. " If that is not your mentality, then ok, your wording is just poorly chosen.