When should I start weight training??

Options
Hi all and thank you in advance for the responses! I am 34, mother of 2, 5'7 with 85 lbs to lose!! I do at least 30 mins of cardio 6/7 days a week. So far, since I started on May 9th 2014, I am losing about 2lbs a week. I was wondering when I should start weight training? If I start now, will I build muscle over the fat I currently have? Will I look "bigger" if I start now rather than if I lose weight and then start to weight train? I really have no clue! Thank you!!

Replies

• ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Muscle builds under the fat that you have. And it's never too early or late to start weight training! Lifting is one of the first things I did when I started losing weight and it certainly pays off - my arms and upper chest (as a lady, this namely means my collarbone area - so smexy) tend to be where I lose fat first and seeing the work I put into them come out as muscle is soooo nice.

I don't think you'll "look bigger" if you start now. A lot of people just build muscle first (typically a "bulk" cycle to add more mass) and then lose the fat covering it later (a "cut"). As muscle builds under fat, starting now rather than when you're thinner won't make a difference. (I think - I may be wrong - hopefully someone with more experience can clarify this if I am.)

If you're losing weight now, it's actually better to do some weight training as you lose to make sure you're not accidentally losing muscle instead of fat. In that regard, you also want to make sure you're getting enough protein. Getting down to 158lbs but having very little muscle won't look the same as being 158lbs after lifting!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Start now
  • janeybean30
    janeybean30 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your post could have been written by me, including stats n dates . I'm looking for this answer too, just bought a book on strength training and free weights training and would like to start but need to lose a lot of fat too. So I'm keen to see replies to your post. Sorry I can't help, I'm new to all this
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Start now

This
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree start now. Women often dont lift because they are afraid they will get too bulky and in most cases that doesnt happen unless that is what you are working towards. Having healthy muscle is important, not only will you look and feel better but strength based exercises will help strengthen your bones which is really important for us women as we get older. Also have muscle will help boost your metabolism and help your body burn fat better.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yup, no reason to wait. Start today!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you should have started last year. if that is not possible, starting today will suffice.
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Capt_Apollo, I should have started MANY years ago!!! :wink:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Muscle builds under the fat that you have. And it's never too early or late to start weight training! Lifting is one of the first things I did when I started losing weight and it certainly pays off - my arms and upper chest (as a lady, this namely means my collarbone area - so smexy) tend to be where I lose fat first and seeing the work I put into them come out as muscle is soooo nice.

I don't think you'll "look bigger" if you start now. A lot of people just build muscle first (typically a "bulk" cycle to add more mass) and then lose the fat covering it later (a "cut"). As muscle builds under fat, starting now rather than when you're thinner won't make a difference. (I think - I may be wrong - hopefully someone with more experience can clarify this if I am.)

If you're losing weight now, it's actually better to do some weight training as you lose to make sure you're not accidentally losing muscle instead of fat. In that regard, you also want to make sure you're getting enough protein. Getting down to 158lbs but having very little muscle won't look the same as being 158lbs after lifting!

some of this is on point. I will say you will not be building muscle in a deficit (there is a minor chance at noob gains within the first month or so of strength training with ideal conditions, but I wouldn't even worry about that). You will, however, retain your current muscle by doing a good weightlifting routine getting a good amount of protein (typically 1g per pound of lean body mass ) and having a moderate calorie deficit (too aggressive can cause you to lose muscle over time).

Ideally, with weightlifting, you don't want to bulk until you've dipped down to a certain BF% (typically below 20% for women). The more fat you have, the less likely muscle conversion will happen, to my understanding. Bulking is also difficult, especially for women. We don't have the testosterone men do.

Sorry if that was long lol. I'm currently working on my first bulk and I have been weightlifting for a year, all during my weight loss and on. Definitely lift now!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Right now.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    you should have started last year. if that is not possible, starting today will suffice.

This
  • caquandt2012
    Options
    Start now. Muscle revs your metabolism and may help you drop weight faster. Be sure to eat enough protein so you lose fat, not muscle.

AND (best of all) it's really FUN!! Lifting keeps me motivated. I complain about the weight my trainer chooses when I'm lifting, but it's actually pretty cool when I think about what I've accomplished. (Don't worry about being the only woman in the weight room! Most of the time when I'm working through a set, I don't even notice the other people in the room.)
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yes, start now!! I love weight training and seeing the strength gains each week. Don't worry about gaining size - it's HARD to gain size for most of us women. Strength is another matter, though! I love tracking the amount of weight and reps and seeing those numbers climb. A great NSV!
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    some of this is on point. I will say you will not be building muscle in a deficit (there is a minor chance at noob gains within the first month or so of strength training with ideal conditions, but I wouldn't even worry about that). You will, however, retain your current muscle by doing a good weightlifting routine getting a good amount of protein (typically 1g per pound of lean body mass ) and having a moderate calorie deficit (too aggressive can cause you to lose muscle over time).

Ideally, with weightlifting, you don't want to bulk until you've dipped down to a certain BF% (typically below 20% for women). The more fat you have, the less likely muscle conversion will happen, to my understanding. Bulking is also difficult, especially for women. We don't have the testosterone men do.

Sorry if that was long lol. I'm currently working on my first bulk and I have been weightlifting for a year, all during my weight loss and on. Definitely lift now!

Thank you! I forgot to touch on no muscle adding while deficit eating. I definitely think I had some noob gains going on - but I got my bench from 50lbs to 75lbs and that was so exciting.

Good luck on your bulk! I'm a fair bit away from that myself. I'm aiming to get down to 18-19% before I try it. Long ways to go, unfortunately. ;A;
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Now.