Substitutions for Mayonnaise

Options
npostemni
npostemni Posts: 102 Member
I tend to eat a lot of Mayonnaise on things and it is really adding up and taking away my calories. I was wondering if anyone had any good substitutions that they use? I mostly use mayo in egg salad, on sandwiches and in tuna.

A few that I know of are hummus, olive oil, yogurt, avocados and mustard. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!!!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How about light mayo? It's a bit different but it works fine on sandwiches for me. For salads I just use Greek yogurt and mustard.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Light mayo is an abomination ;)

If I'm doing a sandwich, I try to be happy with a half serving of mayo, which is only 7 grams or so so that's rough.

For tuna salad, mayo-based salad dressings, etc - half mayo, half Greek yogurt works really well. This is especially true if you're adding a bunch of other flavor to it, like a bit of a spicy mustard or sriracha in the tuna. I make several amazing salad dressings and I've literally shaved the calories in half by subbing out half the mayo for yogurt, and I cannot even tell the difference.

You really won't save many calories subbing in avocado, but you may up the awesome-factor.

I seriously love mayo, though. It is the best condiment of all the condiment.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip.

sometimes the extra calories are worth it. :wink:

/thread
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I hate mayo. Try Dijon mustard, it tastes better and has virtually zero calories.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hellman's/Best Foods Olive Oil mayo has fewer calories that others for reason, without being considered "light." It's what I use, and I didn't realize this until I was at my mom's house this weekend and her mayo had 50% more calories than mine. (90 vs 60 per Tbsp)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I sure hope no one suggests mashed up cooked cauliflower :sick:

I use light / half fat mayo...the fat-free stuff is gross. Hummus is nice on sandwiches as well.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I really like mayo, although my favorite is Best Choice Light Olive Oil Mayo (also super cheap since it's generic). I guess a lot of people hate light mayo, though?

I'd say just try to cut back the amount you use and see how that works.
  • npostemni
    npostemni Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I might have to try light mayo. I'm not a fan of regular mustard but maybe a spicy mustard would be better.
    I don't use dressings on my salads so I don't have any extra calories from that :)

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it!
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have tzatziki on a lot of things. You could try that -- not that it would go great in Tuna.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt seasoned with salad dressing packets, maybe?
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    seasoned greek yoghurt and mustards are great (i.e horserdish mustard or blue cheese yoghurt)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt! I hate mayonnaise.
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have tzatziki on a lot of things. You could try that -- not that it would go great in Tuna.

Actually, I tried it with tuna, and actually preferred it over mayo. :)
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip

ETA: If you dont like the taste of Mayo....Miracle Whip might be for you.

If you are trying to cut calories. Dont bother, unless you have extra cauliflower laying around that you want to experiment with.

Any modifications made to real mayonnaise are similar to reduced fat oreos or chips ahoy cookies. You save 20 calories and it makes it taste like azz
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Smaller amounts of mayonnaise
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Salsa or mustard or Frank's Red Hot Sauce, are all great.
  • krysannboggs
    krysannboggs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has some good suggestions. You could also make your own mayo at home. SUPER EASY and I love the taste. I use the following recipe with avocado oil :)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I use Miracle Whip Light for things like egg salad and tuna salad. Of course, I already liked Miracle Whip for those things.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I like horseradish sauce.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I like to use seasoned plain Greek yogurt... and if it's too thick, mix in a little sour cream.