Anyone Workout When They Shouldn't

Options
Shin splints aren't that bad. Plantar fasciitis, I'll work around. No fuel no problem.

Anyone else have troubles slowing down when they're in a good workout groove, streak or meeting milestones?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yep.

You know that saying "the only workout you regret is the one you don't do"?

That's bull$hit. The workouts I regret are the ones I shouldn't have done due to exhaustion, injury, or some other issue. I invariably end up either more hurt or so battered down that the rest of my life suffers.

Days off for rest, recuperation, and recovery (of muscles and injury) are as essential as days on, in my opinion.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've learned a long time ago that it's best to take a day off when there's something wrong that prevents you from working out at 100% capacity. I've come to associate that mentality with a degree of psychological obsession and at that point it's no longer healthy, but in fact, a form of self-harm.
  • Nuccia2012
    Nuccia2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I definitely have. There was a period of time where I was working out daily and pretty intensely, even when I was sick or just plain run down...never a smart idea. I've started listening to my body (rest is a good thing!) and scaled back a bit to 5 days... just try to stay active on my rest days (walking, etc).
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I miss the days where I could play sports 3 hours a day and 7 days a week. Three hours of hockey with buds leaves me feeling it two days later.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Several small injuries accumulated from pushing myself on rest days has convinced me of the benefit of proper rest and recovery.

As you get older you have to spend more time on stretching and recovery. I recently added a consistent 10 mins of foam rolling and 10 mins of stretching before workouts. I used to just do a couple half-hearted stretches and jump right in. It's made a huge difference to how fast I can bounce back after workouts.
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to just do a couple half-hearted stretches and jump right in. It's made a huge difference to how fast I can bounce back after workouts.

Great advice. It's an underrated necessity.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that! Except this time.... Back problems - compressed discs and pinched nerve. It hurts to even sit so I'm just hanging out doing my DR appts and then I'll be back at it full force
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Too many times, yes.

I ran through pain in October, gave myself both Runner's Knee and Jumper's Knee (wtf, knee - I wasn't even jumping). Since then, I've only now started being able to use the elliptical, and even then it's 30 mins and nothing more or I feel like my knee will pop. I can't squat, I can't deadlift, I can't do half my moves in karate, I can't run.

Basically, I can't do anything fun.

So I've been building my upper body strength like nobody's business, but I'm signed up for a 5k in August. Best case, I run it leisurely and ice my knee for the weekend after. Worst case, I walk it with my buddy who also has busted knees.

Lesson learned - I now stop the second I feel pain in my knee and I don't push it. It makes me angry as all hell, but then I go and do pull ups or throw punches at a bag and feel marginally better. I've resolved to give myself until October of next year to make a full recovery. From there, I plan to be super freakin' slow about getting back into running - the last thing I want is to permanently injure myself. I'm getting healthy so I can do a one-armed pull up with my kid when I have one - not so I can hobble along with a gimp knee when I'm 30.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've learned a long time ago that it's best to take a day off when there's something wrong that prevents you from working out at 100% capacity. I've come to associate that mentality with a degree of psychological obsession and at that point it's no longer healthy, but in fact, a form of self-harm.

The same here.Also, I do not want an injury to ruin the rest of my performance permanently.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    yep...................it was stupid - but I did it.

Had Shingles last fall - worked out anyways - was in excruciating pain before, during, and after the workout. My husband said I deserved the pain because I was being stupid - I have to agree with him.

I've worked out with a full-blown-migraine - will not do that again - don't even want to describe the results - let's just say 'Resolve Intensive Carpet Cleaner' took care of most of it.
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was in a car accident a month ago, on a Tuesday, and went running that Saturday, and was in terrible pain afterward. I tried to pretend the accident didn't effect me, but in fact, it had messed up my back muscles. I just wanted to continue working out everyday, but the doctors hold me to relax and lay low! :noway:

Just finished physical therapy last week - no pain for 2 weeks - and have been getting back to the gym. I'm glad I did not push myself into further injury. The past is over and I'm ready to give my workouts 100% again!

Rest is definitely a good thing. Stretching and foam rolling are very important to keep the muscles loose.