What do you do about clothes?

Options
I have only dropped one size really so far and have a long ways to go. Just wondering if you have any suggestions on clothes for the in between times. I don’t want to and can’t afford to buy clothes in every size. There’s not a decent thrift store or exchange store around me. But maybe that’s what I’ll have to find. I have a sewing machine but am really not good at altering things. I’m ok with a lot of my work clothes, adding a belt and just wearing them loose, layering things up, but that won’t last and I really just need a pair of jeans right now, I only wear them every other Friday to work and have one pair that now fit and one pair that I usually wear that I’ve been pulling up all day. But a decent fitting pair of jeans is expensive! And I don’t want to be this size long enough to make them worth buying!! Anyone who’s lost a lot have any tips? What did you do for clothes and the sizes went down?

Replies

• cbevan
    cbevan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think I would just buy a few inexpensive things to tide me over between sizes - mostly pants, because too-big shirts aren't as much of a problem. They might not fit as well as expensive jeans, but will fit better than jeans that are a size or two too big.

Look for sales - when Old Navy has them on sale, you can get their jeans for under $20. Also check out TJ Max / Ross / Marshalls / Burlington Coat Factory - the sell overstock and "last season" clothing, so it's priced well below normal retail, and you can get better quality stuff for less expense.
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I shop at Goodwill and the Salvation Army thrift stores. Clothes are in good condition and affordable. When I lose more and the clothes become too big again I donate them back. Everyone wins that way.:smile:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've done a combination of having stuff altered (costs about $10 to have waist taken in on a pair of jeans) and buying from Lands' End. If you wait for their special, super-duper, free shipping plus big bucks off type sales, you can get a nice quality pair of jeans that fits well for about $21.

I don't have the time, energy or patience for shopping second hand, otherwise I'd be haunting Goodwill/Consignment shops.
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    As I have gained I've always kept my smaller sizes in a box in my basement, this way I wouldn't have to worry about those inbetween times. However, I know Amazon has some nice priced things and good clothes - or you could check the clearance racks at Macys and such - being a former employee I know you can sometimes find pants (if you look hard enough) for pretty low price - I got a pair of Ralph Lauren for $27 one time!!! Or check out like Family Dollar or Dollar General - they Might have something too. :) Good luck!

Also word of advice - rip the zippers or buttons off the pants that are too big for you - that way you won't have the mind set (I have this size i can go back in to them if I need to).
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I just keep wearing my saggy baggy jeans and look like a frump. I buy one pair of cute jeans that fit for going out. No one cares what I look like at work because I work all alone.
  • sziemba1
    Options
    Well you have quite a problem there. I would advise setting some clothing goals such as treat yourself to several new wardrobe items after losing so many pounds. Maybe treat yourself to a shopping trip for select items after losing 25 - 30 lbs. If you are like me you cannot afford to replace you entire wardrobe every time you change a size. So be selective on what you need and what you discard. There were some clothes like T-shirts, shorts, PJs and underwear that I hung on to till I lost my entire 60 lb goal. But there were other items that had to go -- fancy dresses and more dressed up outfits.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you ow it to yourself to buy a new pair of jeans in each new size. Something like that can be achieved at Walmart or Target for around 25 bucks. It a treat that you deserve. Personally, I can hold out for 2 sizes before I need new pants, but I do not work outside the home and yoga pants are not a big deal. Winter coats hide a lot of loose or ill-fitting clothes these days, too.
  • cbevan
    cbevan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As I have gained I've always kept my smaller sizes in a box in my basement, this way I wouldn't have to worry about those inbetween times...

Also word of advice - rip the zippers or buttons off the pants that are too big for you - that way you won't have the mind set (I have this size i can go back in to them if I need to).

I have clothes in every size between 8 and 16 in my closet, so I don't have to buy new. Although I worry that by the time I get back to my 10s, they will be really out of style!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

Might be less wasteful to donate them. :wink:
  • skinnyclothes
    Options
    If you buy them a size or 2 to small you can go to a maternity store and buy this thing called a belly band. That way if the jeans are too small it holds them on you. Your jeans will last longer and then when they actually fit or get to big you will have a huge feeling of accomplishment. Also check for sales. I've even bought jeans at wal mart marked down to like 5 dollars.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I would go down a size about evey 10 pounds...that gets expensive.

However, the clearance rack became my VERY good friend. I would look for pants and skirts in my current or next size smaller and pick up a few items. If you don't pay a lot for them, you don't really care if they are too big in a few months.

I still invested money in nice blouses and sweaters (w/a bit of stretch) because I got a lot more wear out of them. Shoes, purses and jewelry don't care how much you weigh!!
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    As I have gained I've always kept my smaller sizes in a box in my basement, this way I wouldn't have to worry about those inbetween times.

always a good idea.

i shop at goodwill. super cheap and when the new clothes dont fit any more, you just give them right back and get new ones (or go to an exchange store, sometimes you can end up with "free" new clothes over and over again). also bargain hunting. hunt down every sale you can find and go search for the cutest cheapest clothes. it actually ends up becoming really fun (at least for me) getting cute clothes for WAY less than normal is a total thrill. its a little work because you have to find where the sales are but it can be totally worth it. (also clearance racks! you wouldnt believe some of the stuff they have for up to 75% off, its nuts sometimes!)
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I've only lost 2lbs right now, but I still clothes in smaller sizes from before I gained weight so I'll just be wearing them as I lose the weight, and then I have a shopping spree planned for when I get down to my goal weight!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have clothes in every size between 8 and 16 in my closet, so I don't have to buy new. Although I worry that by the time I get back to my 10s, they will be really out of style!

HA! HA!! I did get back into a couple of pairs of my "skinny" jeans...and promptly donated them!! I had a good chuckle that I had held onto them for so long, only to get rid of them.
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I get mine at walmart for like $12... also... I check out burlington,ross, and burkes... they all usually have pants for like $10 most the time....that way you don't spend to much till you reach your gooal
  • skinnyclothes
    Options
    I hoarded all my skinny clothes so I have everything from a size 3 to size 18 plus maternity... I am currently in a 16 but hoping to be a 15 in a week.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I asked for a sewing machine for Christmas! :happy: I've been taking in the waist of my work pants so they don't fall off my butt. Everything else I don't really care if it's baggy.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    No
    As I have gained I've always kept my smaller sizes in a box in my basement, this way I wouldn't have to worry about those inbetween times...

Lol! I used to too, but lost everything I owned in a housefire a year back, so all I have was bought or donated to me in my biggest ever size, have already donated a box of the largest size.
    Thanks for the ideas everyone, might have to find a thrift store close enough to make monthly trips to.
  • dmossett
    Options
    You may want to try a consignment shop. You can put your clothes that are too big on consignment and use the money you make when they sell to buy new clothes.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I shop at Goodwill and the Salvation Army thrift stores. Clothes are in good condition and affordable. When I lose more and the clothes become too big again I donate them back. Everyone wins that way.:smile:

I went from a size 14 to a 2/4...I shopped the thrift stores about every 2 sizes...Good luck!
    BTW-I still frequent the thrift store. I have found some really great pieces there.