Female lifting alone.

Options
2»

Replies

• lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    THANKS for all of the response! I think my thing was my anxiety of doing it alone just because i have had the support of my friend "spotting" me from day one, and quite honestly she never actually did anything besides stand there and guide me and be support in case i had an accident lol. I do not max out but i do push myself always. I use a squat cage for squats, and bench press i just will have to start at my min weight until i feel safe to do alone! :drinker: I know i can do it, like i said i am so used to her support is scares me to think of doing it alone! I have actually been avoiding heavy weights for a few weeks now due to this. its more of a mental thing now that all of you pointed that out! No more cardio for a while! lol:laugh:

Use your squat cage for your bench, too. Just move the side bars down so they catch the barbell. This way, you can continue to build your bp weight.

If you're squatting alone with a squat cage, you can bench alone with a squat cage. :smile:
    :drinker: good idea
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Also- it's important to learn how to properly fail a lift- even in a rack or power cage mistakes/accidents happen.

Learn how to fail properly- there are several ways for a bench- but for squat's it's pretty much just sit down and don't tip forward or back.

Yup this...it's not pretty and you feel like an tool but learn to fail....:bigsmile:

know your limits and if you aren't sure ask for a spotter at the gym or go into a power cage for the spot benches as that is the only thing you should need a spotter for as you should be squatting in the squat rack anyway...

As to the smith machine...just no..:noway:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5x5 and I lift alone for every single workout. I'm up to 115 lbs on squats (my bodyweight is 134 lbs) and I've never needed a spotter. I also don't have safety rails, which is a good thing to have if you're working out alone. I plan on getting a power rack soon, which will take care of that, but I haven't had to bail out of a single exercise on my own. Still alive!
  • lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Also- it's important to learn how to properly fail a lift- even in a rack or power cage mistakes/accidents happen.

Learn how to fail properly- there are several ways for a bench- but for squat's it's pretty much just sit down and don't tip forward or back.

Yup this...it's not pretty and you feel like an tool but learn to fail....:bigsmile:

know your limits and if you aren't sure ask for a spotter at the gym or go into a power cage for the spot benches as that is the only thing you should need a spotter for as you should be squatting in the squat rack anyway...

As to the smith machine...just no..:noway:
    :noway: got it!