cheeky1
cheeky1 Posts: 4
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hello all,
I just joined yesterday and so far I am very happy with this site, seems easy to use which is always a plus.
My story is that a about a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid and grave's disease which meant that I could disgustingly loose weight with out really trying. As great as that sounds my heart was going crazy and that is how it was found. Well since having my thyroid level stabilized I have gained 25-30 pounds and 3 sizes (all goes to my butt and thighs).
A few months ago I quit Weight Watchers because after 3 months I only lost 5lbs and got incredibly bored
with my food. So I'm trying again here by doing it myself. The hardest part is cooking for my family and then for myself. That gets pretty frustrating, but I'm sure thats just part of the journey.
I look forward to reading the forums and getting this thing going.
:happy:

85654.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• cheeky1
    Hello all,
    I just joined yesterday and so far I am very happy with this site, seems easy to use which is always a plus.
    My story is that a about a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid and grave's disease which meant that I could disgustingly loose weight with out really trying. As great as that sounds my heart was going crazy and that is how it was found. Well since having my thyroid level stabilized I have gained 25-30 pounds and 3 sizes (all goes to my butt and thighs).
    A few months ago I quit Weight Watchers because after 3 months I only lost 5lbs and got incredibly bored
    with my food. So I'm trying again here by doing it myself. The hardest part is cooking for my family and then for myself. That gets pretty frustrating, but I'm sure thats just part of the journey.
    I look forward to reading the forums and getting this thing going.
    :happy:

85654.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • monica5237
    monica5237 Posts: 450
    I have found that you can eat what you cook for your family but use a smaller plate and don't eat as much. I wish you all the luck in the world. You can do this. It will be hard at times but we are here to help you through the hard times and in the good.

Welcome to MFP
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    I was just told I have hyperthyroidism and I'm going for scanning next week (i'm on the low iodine diet right now...ugh). I'm not really showing any symptoms of it though, so I don't know what to expect. I've been gaining for the last couple years so I'm worried about gaining more with treatment. I guess I'll have to wait and see!

Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Welcome!! THE ANGEL TREE!! I think right?? I was just looking at that exact pic yesterday haha
  • cheeky1
    Yes it was but i was just trying to decide which pic, went with my kitty instead.
    Thanks for the welcome.
  • cheeky1
    Hi, ugh, I remember the no iodine diet..YUK. the no seafood was a bit harsh for me and now salted french fries!! So right after my scan I went out for shrimp and fries. lol.
    The scan itself is not that big of a deal just laying still for what seems like forever. I was having really bad heart palpitations I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest pretty scary. My Endocrinologist put me on anti-thyroid medicine for a year and my levels went to normal, I've been off it for about 9 months now and my levels have remained normal so I didn't need to have the thyroid removed. So now were monitoring every year unless the heart thing happens again.
    If you ever want to chat about it let me know. I was really scared at first but its not so bad. Good luck and pretty soon you'll be able to have salt. :smile:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Well I'm glad you have it under control! The only reason I found out about it is that a previous doctor that checked a swelling in my throat told me mine felt full and I should get it checked, so about a year later when I had insurance I did. That and my mom got hers checked and it turns out she as 4 cists on each side of it, but they don't know why or what caused them yet.

I'm just nervous because I really don't know how it is affecting my body at this point and what kind of treatment I'll have to undergo. I'll get through it though. :happy:
This discussion has been closed.