Alcohol

Options

Replies

• aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest problems right now are:

- the fact that I never really know when my bf is going to bring home beer, and I'll drink one without thinking about how it fits into my calories.

- the fact that I have a broken foot and no pool access. The doc also recommended that I don't use a stationary bike bc it puts pressure directly on my metatarsals.

Log it first. If you think he is going to bring home beer, work it into your calories before you drink it. If I log it first, it makes me more mindful of what I'm eating or drinking. Sorry about your foot! That stinks! Cheers!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I always have justified having my alcohol in my diet... but think for me, it is definitely hindering progress.

Too many weeks I go have too many drinks, which ultimately also lead to bad food decisions.

My suggestion is that if it fits into your lifestyle, go ahead and stop drinking all together. Or at least limit yourself to only 1 or 2 per day. But if you can stop, I'd say go for it while losing weight.
  • danahubley
    danahubley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am currently struggling with the same issue. The problem is once I have a drink or two I find myself mindlessly snacking and going way over my daily goal so I've decided to stop drinking while I am still trying to lose a significant amount of weight.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I cut it out completely for other reasons, but yes, weight loss is much easier now that I am not trying to fit alcohol into my daily calories.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I fit it into my weekly goal.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've cut back - mostly because I can fit a few glasses of wine in a week - not a few bottles!

Probably healthier to drink a little less anyway - but I still drank over the holiday weekend -way too much in fact - now I'm cutting back again.......

I do better when I drink less.....1) less liquid calories 2) more food so not as hungry 3) not impaired so I make better judgments (rather than eat the whole bowl of chips that is on the table).
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I cut it completely while I was trying to lose weight (6 months). I now drink maybe once every two months. If that. The body doesn't metabolize the alcohol like it does other food. It converts it almost directly to fat, and since I'm trying to lower my bf I try to avoid it.

The body converts it to fat? Do you have a link I could read?

It is NOT converted into fat - but alcohol is very calorific, and is used as a fuel by the body preferentially, so stopping you burning fat.

Alcohol cannot be converted into fat for storage. As the previous poster said, the body uses alcohol preferentially because there is NO storage form for it. This halts the metabolism of other nutrients (particularly carbs and fats) and the excess carbs will be converted to and stored as fat. The amount of excess carb converted and stored depends entirely on how much you drink, how quickly, what you drink, and how fast you metabolize the alcohol. YAY science!

That said, when I'm trying to lose weight I choose to cut alcohol out completely. For me, it's just wasted calories since chocolate is my vice :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It's harder to balance things with my alcohol intake right now, since my exercise options are limited.

What limits your exercise options? Are you injured?
  • annasensei
    annasensei Posts: 39
    Options
    I cut back during the week. No drinking Monday-Thursday. And then as the weekend rolls around i just make sure to log in what I drink. It can certainly make me think twice when I know that I've had 4 beers and I have to add in 500-600 calories, but I know I make it up during the week, or I make sure I have a nice long workout before I go out. And sometimes, that ice cold beer or beautifully made cocktail is just worth it!
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I dont drink because when I do it's atleast 12 drinks...and then all my hard work for 2-4 weeks turns pointless in 1 night of fun:sad:
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine several nights a week but within my calories, and like some others have suggested I will do a little more exercise on days when I know I'm going to have a drink to ensure it will fit. I tend to have it after my dinner though - so I know I have the calories left.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I cut it completely while I was trying to lose weight (6 months). I now drink maybe once every two months. If that. The body doesn't metabolize the alcohol like it does other food. It converts it almost directly to fat, and since I'm trying to lower my bf I try to avoid it.

It is NOT converted into fat - but alcohol is very calorific, and is used as a fuel by the body preferentially, so stopping you burning fat.

Alcohol cannot be converted into fat for storage. As the previous poster said, the body uses alcohol preferentially because there is NO storage form for it. This halts the metabolism of other nutrients (particularly carbs and fats) and the excess carbs will be converted to and stored as fat.

Carbs are rarely stored as fat.
  • pjarellano
    pjarellano Posts: 18
    Options
    I have heard both sides. But what I do know is it effects my level of exercise the following day. Even just one low calorie Margarita can make me sluggish the next day. So if I am going to have that one Margarita with friends. I commit to extra exercise time the day of. I always do the work before the treat. I know I won't do it after. I also eat less calories the day of. Life is about balance. So should weight loss be about balance and control
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Alcohol turns into Sugar( that's why Diabetics are not suppose to drink also)If you dont use/burn that energy like anything else extra in the body then turns to fat.

Alcohol cannot be converted into fat for storage. As the previous poster said, the body uses alcohol preferentially because there is NO storage form for it. This halts the metabolism of other nutrients (particularly carbs and fats) and the excess carbs will be converted to and stored as fat. The amount of excess carb converted and stored depends entirely on how much you drink, how quickly, what you drink, and how fast you metabolize the alcohol. YAY science!

That said, when I'm trying to lose weight I choose to cut alcohol out completely. For me, it's just wasted calories since chocolate is my vice :)
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's harder to balance things with my alcohol intake right now, since my exercise options are limited.

What limits your exercise options? Are you injured?

Yes, I broke my foot a while back. I won't be ready to run until the end of August. I do plan on walking excessively, once I'm allowed to wear two shoes and it doesn't hurt to walk longer distances.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Stopped drinking Alcohol and most other drinks with calories (except for protein supplementation), I'd rather eat my calories.

Keep in mind, my buddies gave me the name 'Siphon' over a decade ago for my ability to empty insane amounts of beer into my system. In the last 3 years I average a bottle a year just to try a new flavor.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I stopped because I would rather eat and be able to get a full night's sleep
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I drink a little (within my calorie limit) every once in a while. But no matter how careful I am about the calories I gain significant water weight the next day. I jsut prefer to skip alcohol now.
  • rae_rae330
    rae_rae330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I switched to Michelob Ultra, 95 cal/2.6 carbs. There's also MGD 64, 64 cal/2.4 carbs, Bud Select, 99 cal/3.1 carbs, and Bud Select 55, 55 cal/1.9 carbs.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options

It won't stop you from burning fat if your overall calorie intake is less than your calorie expenditures.

... but I think that it slows you down until those alcohol kcals are burned...

seeking a good answer on this one.