Stomach shrinkage?

I've heard that your stomach shrinks and your appetite slowly diminishes as you restrict portion size and eat sensibly. Is this true based on your experiences?

Replies

• ABS are made in the kitchen!! Yes clean eating and portion size will help you. About a year ago i stopped eating out and dont eat anything that i dont cook along with that and daily exercise i have lost about 30 lbs. Including my beer belly!!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    I don't know if my stomach has shrunk or not, but I do know it takes a lot less to make me full. That could be that I'm better at paying attention to my body's cues rather than actual physiological changes though. But in my experience a better understanding of portions and a healthier relationship with food definitely equates to a decreased need to "fill up."
  • Yes it is true! Over time you get used to eating smaller portions and will feel full sooner :)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I've heard that your stomach shrinks and your appetite slowly diminishes as you restrict portion size and eat sensibly. Is this true based on your experiences?

Yes, it's certainly true. Problem is, so many don't do it long enough to really see or enjoy the change, or else quickly stretch their stomach back out.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    You mean, does it take less food to reach 'do not give the man a thin mint' stage? Yes. Dunno that it literally shrinks, though.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    You mean, does it take less food to reach 'do not give the man a thin mint' stage? Yes. Dunno that it literally shrinks, though.

Surely a wafer thin mint would be okay?
  • laurie7075
    laurie7075 Posts: 33 Member
    I have noticed that in just a month of really watching what I'm eating, trying to go organic as much as possible that my appetite has decreased somewhat. It is my understanding that certain foods keep you full longer so I try to get my protein and healthy fats in. When I feel like I need something quick and filling I like to grab a handful or two of nuts. It really fills the void :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    ABS are made in the kitchen!! Yes clean eating and portion size will help you. About a year ago i stopped eating out and dont eat anything that i dont cook along with that and daily exercise i have lost about 30 lbs. Including my beer belly!!

I think she means the literal stomach, the one under your skin, just above your intestines, below your liver, close to your heart :heart:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6MndYqoN-tOhXkEuegsgwTLtTSsvGn6B3hMmcDbxmE6sxjKBN
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    No, it doesn't shrink.

Appetite is a more complicated issue, and it's controlled to some extent by your hormones.. A lot of people find that their appetite diminishes after a long period of undereating, only to return with a vengeance when they eat more. You will also probably find that you can learn to control your appetite better with eating different types of foods, and playing around with meal sizes/timing. For example, fibre and protein will keep you fuller. Some people feel better consuming lots of small meals a day; others feel better not eating much at all through the day and having one large meal later one. Experiment and find what works for you.

These are some good tips for dealing with hunger while trying to lose weight: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html
  • MsLaToya30
    MsLaToya30 Posts: 29
    ABS are made in the kitchen!! Yes clean eating and portion size will help you. About a year ago i stopped eating out and dont eat anything that i dont cook along with that and daily exercise i have lost about 30 lbs. Including my beer belly!!

I totally agree. I stop eating out, drinking lots of water, and I am see much improvement in my stomach area.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    I am not sure of the science behind it, or the psychology, but I just cannot eat the portions I used to consume. Eating well means you are likely eating more protein and more fiber, which helps fill you up more than empty calories and refined carbs.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member

I totally agree. I stop eating out, drinking lots of water, and I am see much improvement in my stomach area.

Weird. I didn't cut anything. Did a moderate calorie deficit, heavy lifting, good amount of protein and my stomach looks great now and I lost 53 lbs. Abs are made in the kitchen is a phrase speaking mainly of eating a balanced diet and calorie deficit for fat loss. It doesn't mean become overly restrictive.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    I used to down 3 gigantic costco pizza slices with a side salad during pizza parties at my workplace (while my co-workers sit in awe with their mouths open). My boss even asked me if I wanted to join an eating contest with him before. Lol... Since I've been trying to get back to normal portion sizes, I find that I am no longer able to eat more than one slice of pizza. So to me, yes, my appetite is now more curbed and I no longer look like I'm pregnant after I eat. :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Competitve eaters, of which most of the good ones are suprisingly thin, do things to stretch their stomachs so I would think you can srhink yours!

I have been fasting 3 days a week for 10 weeks now.
    I am to the point that much, much less food makes me full nowadays. I even took a week off of it and only ate when I was hungry an dlost weight because of it shrinking I believe