Almased

Options

Replies

• dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

surprise, a government agency bought and paid for by big pharma doesn't want us stupid people to be able to read information and make determinations on our own. Anyone depending solely on the FDA for their information about nutrition has been duped
    Amen Sister.
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    Never heard of it until today.

The FDA says their claims make it a drug and they need to either apply through the FDA process or reword their statements. Most likely they reworded their statements so they don't make drug claims.

Now that that's settled, what exactly is Almased? It's a fermented soy protein powder. Is there any reason why a protein powder needs to be fermented soy to be beneficial for diabetics? Not that I'm aware of.

So then we have nutritional value to look at:

Fermented soy based (soy can, in some instances, cause issues, particularly with men and their testostorone)
    Calories: 180
    Protein: 27g (6.7 calories per gram)
    Carbs: 15g (12 calories per gram)
    Fiber: 0.5g (360 calories per gram)
    Sugars: 12g (15 calories per gram)

Compare it to Trutein Cinnabon (a combination of whey isolate, casein and egg proteins)
    Calories: 115
    Protein: 24g (4.8 calories per gram) Better
    Carbs: 5g (23 calories per gram) Better
    Fiber: 3g (38 calories per gram) Better
    Sugars: 1g (115 calories per gram) Better

Mathematically, I'd go with the Trutein. It's better in every category for diabetics, unless there's something I don't understand about diabetes.

NOTE: I chose Trutein because I know the math on it is spectacular. I could have easily replaced it with about half a dozen different protein powders and gotten similar results, albeit less spectacularly.
    Optimum Nutrition
    Pure Protein
    Six Star
    Body Fortress
    IsoPure
    EAS
    And many, many more!
    Good point.
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    Now, I'm not yay or nay of Almased. But that FDA warning -- really! The same FDA that deems so many other toxins "in small quantities is safe" for human consumption. Give me a break. The FDA's word is not gold to me. We all have choices and there are so many ways to check them out. Some true, many not true but it is up to YOU not Almased, or the FDA or others to decide whether something you put in your body is good for you or even safe. Do your research and YOU decide if the benefits outweigh the risk. IJS.
  • Rob0118
    Rob0118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started using this product one week ago tomorrow. I have lost 7.6 pounds since Monday (6 days) I use it with the
    Vanilla unsweet almond milk and it tastes great. I have also mixed some fruit with in once in a while. I did the 3 days with
    the shake morning lunch and dinner and eat a piece of fruit for snack in the morning and afternoon. I do feel much better and I do have the increased energy. I am plannin on staying on the shake two a day then eat a sensible dinner. My goal is 75 lbs so only
    67.5 more to go!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic would it not be more beneficial to track your foods and eat a regular healthy diet? something you can maintain for a lifetime? Diabetes will always be there - you need to learn how and what to eat to keep it under control.
  • cmconnelly67
    Options
    I just started Almased today.. Not to bad . Let you know how my wieght goes
  • meme221
    meme221 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm going to try the Almased, I bought 1 can to see how I do. I'll try it with the unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon, & flaxeed oil or coconut oil. I figure if I can get past the gritty taste with the other protein drinks, I can get past this one. Thanks for posting!!
  • cakebarn
    cakebarn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for my Almased to come! I am so excited to get going with this. Anyone have success with this? What were your special recipes to make it taste better? I can usually eat anything.. (yeah.. apparently).. so I don't think that it will be to big of an issue for me to drink it down. Going on vacation in June, and I just don't want to feel uncomfortable with pictures.. etc. I weighed myself this morning at 227 lbs. Sooo here we go.
    Please friend request me if you want to follow my journey, or want to do this with me. But please.. no nay sayers.
    :wink:
  • Briannholland
    Options
    I love the fact that a couple of people call this a fad diet. The company introduced the product in 1985. That's 28 years. One heck of a fad. Same type of people that would have said "Oh Tommy Edison that's silly . Everyone loves candles and open flame".
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    Any success stories yet? Let me know how you're doing!
  • sns4e05
    sns4e05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Cakebarn,

How are you progressing with Almased? I had tried it briefly in 2013 (worked great by the way!), but managed to undo all my hard work when I started school again. I completely threw out all of the lessons I learned about portion control and nutrition needs for about 16 weeks and gained back 10 of the 20 pounds I had lost before.

Now, I've just started the program again, and plan to stay on it for three months. To put things in perspective, I was able to lose 20 pounds and nearly two dress sizes the first time around, and I was only on the Almased program for two months. My doctor was very impressed with how healthy I was throughout the whole process.

Hope to hear from you and others soon!

Best,

Sns4e05
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just wanna chime in and say I have tried it......I was given a container of it from a friend who could no longer use it......(they switched to the Metabolic Research Center diet plan.......) and the taste is WONDERFUL.....and yes, It did make me more alert lol. It's got a bunch of stuff in the ingredients......I have no idea where she got it.....I wanna say a health foods store.....judging by the price tag on it.......LOL....I will say, the shake does taste dangerously good :P Appartently it's supposed to be taken in phases......the first phase is a shake at each meal and I think 2 allowed cups of tea......no solids at all......

The getcha of this "fad diet" though is yes, the price tag! She paid 39.95 for the 17.6 oz tub of it.....and it's only 10 servings at 8 tbsp per "serving" - now it did have a pamphlet.......but I dont need another "fad diet" in my life! LOL......so I didn't read it good.....but something leads me to believe on the "diet" you're supposed to "work up to" the 8 tbsp gradually.......but Im just using it in place of my post workout protein powder.....lol. Since it was free......and contains 27g in those 8 tbsp.......
  • chylo1
    chylo1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • haphealthywise2
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this site. My name is Terri. I am a wife and mom of two. I started on Almased on Tuesday 5/28. I started at 203 lbs. and now I am at 187 lbs. All the time I have been on it, I have had energy and haven't been hungry. I just want to be healthy, get off my medications and be around for my family. Since I have been doing it, I didn't take my metformin because it helps the blood sugars. They have been normal and blood pressure great! My goal when I visit my doctor in July, is to be at 180 or lower and to be taken off some of my meds. I may have to do my thyroid med, but I want off the others. I'm eating healthy meals and planning to do some green smoothies. I've prayed for the Lord to help me through this and He has delivered. Amen!
  • haleygusgirl
    haleygusgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to throw my experience out there for anyone who might be considering amassed. I'm 19 years old, 5'3, and 148 lbs. I started this program hoping to lose the Freshmen 15 I gained this past year, my first year of college. I started this program one week ago today and already I've lost 8 lbs (down to 140 lbs)! Given my height, I feel a big difference with these 8 lbs, my clothes fit better already and I feel better. The first 2 days drinking this shake I felt like were torture, it took me around an hour to choke down the oatmeal like shakes, however I stuck with it and after messing around with the recipe I've found the perfect mix. I do 6oz almond milk, 6oz mineral water, 6 tbsp amassed (use 8 tbsp if over 5"6), then 2 tsp canola oil, a shake of cinnamon, and lots of ice! I actually enjoy drinking my almased shakes now, I feel a lot healthier, they fill me up, and I'm more energized! I'm extending the reduction phase a couple days just until I get down to 135lbs, but then I think I'll continue to have at least a shake a day, I just feel great! My cravings for fast food have also gone down, so I'm a new Almased lover! Definitely recommend! :)
  • puppyface
    puppyface Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So I started Almased today. I used 11 oz coconut almond milk, 6 tablespoons power and 2 teaspoons of walnut oil. The oil is over powering. It has taken me all day to drink the shake. I keep adding more milk into it (another 11 ozs). I haven't been hungry but I am a little nauseated. It tastes much better when it is really cold. I did have a few bites of steamed broccoli to help with the nausea.

I guess I will try a different combo tomorrow to see if it gets any better because all I taste is the walnut oil.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I add Almased to 20 oz. of water and a packet of Crystal Lite, then mix it in a shaker bottle. I've lost 9 pounds in the 2 weeks prior to joining MFP by starting my day off with Almased for breakfast, then eating sensibly the rest of the day. I'm gluten intolerant, so that means no bread or pasta. I also drink at least 10 glasses of water a day.
  • Bumblebee8484
    Options
    I am on day 3 of the '3 shakes a day' Almased. After the first day I lost 2lbs, after the second day I lost 2lbs and I'm hoping to see the same result tomorrow morning. I will go onto 2 shakes per day from tomorrow. I mixed it with water and a teaspoon of olive oil. Yes, it tasted disgusting (for the first few shakes - after that, I got used to the taste and stopped pulling a face) but I 'necked it down' and tbh, I figure that 30 seconds of discomfort, 3 times a day is a small price to pay for losing weight and feeling healthy. This has been a huge motivation to continue. I've also drunk a lot of water and herbal tea which helps me to stay full. I've tried Slimfast but that left me hungry inbetween shakes. I'm not interested in Almased's other claims (see previous posts or Google: FDA/Almased) as I'm using it to lose weight without feeling hungry. It has done that so far and I'm happy.
  • jujubeebop
    Options
    I'm an Almased convert, and I consider myself a particularly savvy nutritional/supplements consumer. In fact, I've never tried, or even considered, a meal-replacement supplement my entire life until now. Organic protein/greens shakes, yes, but not a shake for dieting or cleansing. Unfortunately, however, the recent addition of a medication that radically changes my food cravings and has seemingly altered the way my body deals with carbs has caused me to gain weight and just feel generally bloated and icky. So I decided to work harder at changing my metabolism in general. (And yes, the medicine I'm taking is an important and necessary one, so I'm willing to put up with the side effects and change my lifestyle instead. I say this to preempt any overly-easy responses from folks who would advise to just stop taking it. Or at least some of the comments in this thread so far have that kind of knee-jerk quality about them.)

To those for whom Almased has worked, yay! For those of you who haven't had the best experience, that sucks. But as we know, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for anyone. I hope you've found something that does work. And to those who see questions about Almased and simply go look it up in Google and/or on their website and make determinations based solely on 10 minutes of reading (rather than experience or in-depth—and I mean in-depth—research), and then come back here and make a whitewashed answer like: "poppycock!" or "marketing fluff" or naysaying comments like: "how can it be GMO when 90% of soy in America is GMO?!" or "Look at this FDA letter!" (and since when was the FDA all about consumer interests anyway, people... c'mon, give me a break), I would suggest doing your homework before throwing out an ill-informed opinion. Just sayin'.

So why am I an Almased convert? Let me list the reasons so far:

1) The soy in Almased is a fermented soy rather than just straight soy, so that's one thing that makes a difference. It's like comparing tofu with tempeh... they are two entirely different things. Yes, they both originate from soybeans, but the fermentation process changes the protein chains in soy so that the amino acids are far more digestible and much more readily absorbable for humans. However, if you’re allergic or sensitive to soy, I’d say this isn’t your product.

2) When the vast majority of people report good things about a product (even on sprouty, healthy sites who vet their products before selling them or at least whose customers tend to have high expectations for purity and proper sourcing (I'm thinking iHerb.com, for instance), that means something. The claims about not being hungry until the next shake are true. I'm personally amazed by that. My body would be telling me otherwise if there were something drastically lacking.

3) Sad as it is to say, I'm much more likely to trust a company that originated in Germany over an American one any day. Any of us who study food laws know that Europe is generally far stricter when it comes to standards for ingredients and additives (I could go on and on as far as that list goes, but just food coloring alone is one example... the fact that the FDA allows for color additives that have been shown to cause ADD-like effects, among others, in sensitive people while Europe has banned them {and consequently Kellogg's and Mars changed their European recipes for Fruit Loops and M&Ms, but not the American formulation... nope... we still get the crap stuff). And yes, Almased USA is an American company, but as long they adhere to the German standards, I'm ok with that.

4) And then there's the research. (Almased has a brochure that makes the research easy to read, but of course, that’s what the company publishes so that’s not exciting at all.) So I looked up some of the research myself. And much of what I read bodes well. Not all of it no. But one surprising discovery from the research was that Almased can reduce migraines in people with chronic migraine headaches. (I haven't had a migraine since starting the Almased, but it's only been a week. Still... I'm looking forward to success with that. We'll see.) To look up the harder core research yourself, go to http://scholar.google.com to find the citations.

4) Finally, personal experience says everything. All the claims about having more energy, feeling better mood-wise, sleeping better, and not feeling hungry are absolutely true. And I would add the fact of just simply feeling 'cleaner' in my body, though that isn't something I can quantify. But it's a nice feeling. And that's huge for someone who has struggled with my relationship with food and has a hard time restricting food to just 3 shakes a day. I'm a carb-addict (though a picky one), and I'm frankly quite surprised at my nearly complete lack of craving for chips or cookies, which is particularly telling since this medication increases those cravings. Oh, and I also have thyroid issues, and I'm not having any issues with symptoms since using Almased.

If you do go for it, be sure to follow the directions for drinking a LOT of water as fat gets burned and toxins are released. HUGELY IMPORTANT. Do add some kind of oil, whether olive, coconut, or flax seed (as I do for the lignans... Barlean's, the best!) to make sure you're getting enough essential fatty acids. Also, Almased's suggestion to make your own nutritious, low-sodium vegetable broth for snacks bears repeating. Make your own broth, so it's fresh and yummy, rather than buying ready-made broth. But as they say, if you must get store-bought, at least find (and be willing to pay for) the highest quality organic brand with the lowest sodium content. Also, use whatever additions you need to make the shake taste good. I find a lot of cinnamon and vanilla helps (and cardamom, but that's my favorite spice), and once a day I add raw cacao and Barlean's Chocolate Essential Woman Swirl to make a chocolate shake. It's my fave. Like most people, I find that an unsweetened almond milk base makes the best and easiest-to-drink shake.

And last but not least, make sure you aren't allergic to any of the ingredients, of course, and keep track of any side effects. I saw one research article that talked about birch pollen allergy and cross-reactivity to the ingredients in Almased (citation listed below). I also read a review from a women who found that the isoflavones in the soy in Almased, even though fermented, messed with her menstrual cycle too much for comfort. As always, pay attention to your body and do what feels right for you.

I'll come back in a couple months and see how things have panned out, but I simply wanted to extend my support to folks who are game for trying it or for whom it has worked well so far. May the force be with you. :)

*394 Local and systemic anaphylactic reactions to a soy containing dietary product (almased) in birch pollen allergic subjects: IgE mediated crossreactivity to Bet v 1 and a stress-induced 17-kD soy protein / J Klein-Tebbe, S Franke, A Jahreis, M Rytter, U.-F Haustein, D Haustein, S Vieths / The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 1 January 2000 (volume 105 issue 1 Page S132 DOI: 10.1016/S0091-6749(00)90823-6)

*Klein-Tebbe, J., et al. "394 Local and sytemic anaphylactic reactions to a soy containing dietary product (almased) in birch pollen allergic subjects: IgE mediated crossreactivity to Bet v 1 and a stress-induced 17-kD soy protein." Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 105.1 (2000): S132.
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    I'm just checking back in to read the new posts and post my update :flowerforyou:

3 weeks ago I did the Almased fast for 3 days. I mix it with either Unsweetened Almond Breeze Coconut Almond Milk, or Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, 1 Tbls olive oil and a tsp of almond extract...makes it taste like a Good Humor Toasted Almond ice cream bar! I also throw in a spoonful of chia seeds and a couple of ice cubes and mix it in my Nutri Bullet. I use 6 Tblsp of the Almased since I'm only 5'4". Day one was incredibly easy...I wasn't hungry at all. Day 2 was the toughest for some reason, I wasn't hungry but I was pretty grumpy, lol! Day 3 was again easy. I was very surprised at how I wasn't hungry. It also helped me to realize and think about whether I was really hungry or just bored. For snacks I kept veggie broth, green tea and low sodium V-8 juice on hand. During these 3 days I lost 2 lbs a day.

After the 3rd day I went ahead and started having the Almased for breakfast and lunch, then eat a healthy dinner. Now I'm just having Almased for breakfast and eating a normal lunch and dinner, mainly because I haven't had the $$ to buy another can or 2. Thankfully I haven't gained any weight back, but haven't lost either.

Personally, Almased really works for me and I plan on going back in order to lose more weight!