I've hit a plateau!

Options
2»

Replies

• IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've got it from a qualified successful "dieter that she's lost close to 70 pounds by eating lthe number of calories suggested by my fitness plan every day - varying the foods from all those listed in the dt abase …. Most important is to eat ONLY and I MEAN ONLY natural food - no prepared or packaged - fresh veggies, whole cleans, raw fruit, whole grain everything - ice, cereal etc and some protein with each meal. Stick with the full caloric count from the data base - no more, no less - the actual calories consumed are just as important as those denied … remember ALAWAYS NATUR4AL AND UNPROCESSEDO

Entirely unrealistic advice for a lot of people with real lives and families etc to attend to. What happens when you go out for a meal for instance and don't know the origin or preparation of the food on the menu? I know your friend means well but I've lost 113 following MFP, eating all my calories plus my exercise calories and eating clean when I can but also processed when I want to. If a diet is too prescriptive you're more likely to be doomed to fail I think.

Agreed. In an ideal world, everyone would be eating whole foods and non-GMO and all that, but it's freaking expensive! If I switched my groceries for all organic non GMO products, I'd have about 2 days worth of food for the price of one week. I try to eat non GMO, and organic when I can, but I'm the only one in the family on a diet and I can't ask my parents to buy a completely seperate grocery list for me. I understand the benefits of eating that way, and it's not a matter of whether I think it's worth it to spend the extra money or not, it's that I literally do not have the extra money.

I am able buy a week of all natural / organic food for myself and my boyfriend for about $60. Not sure how this compares to non-organic / all natural food because I haven't shopped that way in years. I made the decision a long time ago that it is worth the investment.
  • steephx0x
    steephx0x Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The science is there - if you truly are eating only 700 cal a day you should be losing weight. So I'm guessing you are not weighing your food and/or logging everything you eat OR drink each day.

You lack of motivation comes from the fact you are probably eating too low causing you to be tired, cranky , lethargic.

These two points are correct.

I am logging correctly. I've always eaten this way, I ised to have more energy but it's lacking now
  • steephx0x
    Options
    I've got it from a qualified successful "dieter that she's lost close to 70 pounds by eating lthe number of calories suggested by my fitness plan every day - varying the foods from all those listed in the dt abase …. Most important is to eat ONLY and I MEAN ONLY natural food - no prepared or packaged - fresh veggies, whole cleans, raw fruit, whole grain everything - ice, cereal etc and some protein with each meal. Stick with the full caloric count from the data base - no more, no less - the actual calories consumed are just as important as those denied … remember ALAWAYS NATUR4AL AND UNPROCESSEDO

Entirely unrealistic advice for a lot of people with real lives and families etc to attend to. What happens when you go out for a meal for instance and don't know the origin or preparation of the food on the menu? I know your friend means well but I've lost 113 following MFP, eating all my calories plus my exercise calories and eating clean when I can but also processed when I want to. If a diet is too prescriptive you're more likely to be doomed to fail I think.

Agreed. In an ideal world, everyone would be eating whole foods and non-GMO and all that, but it's freaking expensive! If I switched my groceries for all organic non GMO products, I'd have about 2 days worth of food for the price of one week. I try to eat non GMO, and organic when I can, but I'm the only one in the family on a diet and I can't ask my parents to buy a completely seperate grocery list for me. I understand the benefits of eating that way, and it's not a matter of whether I think it's worth it to spend the extra money or not, it's that I literally do not have the extra money.

I am able buy a week of all natural / organic food for myself and my boyfriend for about $60. Not sure how this compares to non-organic / all natural food because I haven't shopped that way in years. I made the decision a long time ago that it is worth the investment.

It also depends on where you live and what type of sales your grocery store offers.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 pounds from my goal, more unhappy with my body than ever, and have lost motivation to go to the gym and even during runs I just want to give up. Help! What should I do!
    Your logging is not consistent because if you were really eating under 1000 calories you would be losing weight.

You should get your logging under control and ensure you are weighing all food and making correct entries. You log all you eat.

Also, if you count your exercise calories and you use MPG or gym machines for estimations, keep in mind they are both WAY overestimated. For example, my 4 mile 42 minute run this morning: the gym machine said I burned over 600 calories, my HRM said 320. BIG difference.

Finally, you won't lose the last ten pounds very fast because you are already close to a healthy weight.

This isn't always the case, depends on the gym machine and whether you've put in your weight and age etc. We have Precor machines at my gym and my gym sessions by machine estimations come out at within just a few calories (less than 10 on some occasions!) of what FitBit gives me for the same period of time.
    Not true in my experience. Precor gym machines are no more accurate than any other, though I will admit their numbers are lower than other machine.I always input my data into the machines (even Precor), and my Heart Rate Monitor (Polar FT7) consistently gives much lower calories than the treadmills at the gym. Not one single time have the gym machines given me a reading close to my HRM, and I've lost 42 pounds either using the treadmill numbers and not eating all my exercise calories back to account for error (about the first 6 months) and my heart rate monitor, where I usually eat most of my exercise calories back (last 6 months). I have been successfully maintaining for the last three months or so as well.

However, perhaps your gym has different or better Precor gym machines than my gym and are more accurate, cause I see you've lost quite a bit of weight. Congrats on such a wonderful accomplishment. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Your fitness plan? I think it's against the terms of service to advertise.

No, you don't have to eat "clean" in order to lose weight, you just have to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    The science is there - if you truly are eating only 700 cal a day you should be losing weight. So I'm guessing you are not weighing your food and/or logging everything you eat OR drink each day.

You lack of motivation comes from the fact you are probably eating too low causing you to be tired, cranky , lethargic.

These two points are correct.

I am logging correctly. I've always eaten this way, I ised to have more energy but it's lacking now
    Have you been the doctor to get your thyroid checked?

Have you set your calorie goals in MFP with each ten pounds you lose?

Do you weigh all your food?
  • steephx0x
    Options
    I was considering getting my thyroid checked, I've had tests done before but not specifically looking for a thyroid problem.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

I'd like to chime in and say that is not unrealistic.. I always eat all natural and minimally processed foods.. maybe some times I will eat processed foods if they are all natural or organic. My diet is almost all organic. Also, I rarely eat at places that aren't serving all natural or organic food

I think you may have missed the "for a lot of people" part of my message. Good for you if you find it easy to keep to but for people relying on others supplying their food for example or who travel a lot with work it's not so straight forward.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 pounds from my goal, more unhappy with my body than ever, and have lost motivation to go to the gym and even during runs I just want to give up. Help! What should I do!
    Your logging is not consistent because if you were really eating under 1000 calories you would be losing weight.

You should get your logging under control and ensure you are weighing all food and making correct entries. You log all you eat.

Also, if you count your exercise calories and you use MPG or gym machines for estimations, keep in mind they are both WAY overestimated. For example, my 4 mile 42 minute run this morning: the gym machine said I burned over 600 calories, my HRM said 320. BIG difference.

Finally, you won't lose the last ten pounds very fast because you are already close to a healthy weight.

This isn't always the case, depends on the gym machine and whether you've put in your weight and age etc. We have Precor machines at my gym and my gym sessions by machine estimations come out at within just a few calories (less than 10 on some occasions!) of what FitBit gives me for the same period of time.
    Not true in my experience. Precor gym machines are no more accurate than any other, though I will admit their numbers are lower than other machine.I always input my data into the machines (even Precor), and my Heart Rate Monitor (Polar FT7) consistently gives much lower calories than the treadmills at the gym. Not one single time have the gym machines given me a reading close to my HRM, and I've lost 42 pounds either using the treadmill numbers and not eating all my exercise calories back to account for error (about the first 6 months) and my heart rate monitor, where I usually eat most of my exercise calories back (last 6 months). I have been successfully maintaining for the last three months or so as well.

However, perhaps your gym has different or better Precor gym machines than my gym and are more accurate, cause I see you've lost quite a bit of weight. Congrats on such a wonderful accomplishment. :smile:

Thank you :-) They are all set to algorithms which I guess will be more accurate for some people than others - not that we'll ever know our burn rates for sure! The problem is so are Heart Rate Monitors and although they are obtaining a more consistent reading of your exertion the calorie calculators are still just an estimate based on a program. It's best just to get on with it and not get too bogged down.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1000 calories per day? Seriously?

To make you feel better, eat more. To make you look better, lift.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary. There's your problem. Eat. Eat. Eat. Are you lacking motovation or energy? Bet your tired. Lethargic. I dont know your weight or height but 1000 cals and under is not a sustainable diet for any woman. Best of luck. Eat.

Exactly.

How can you even make it out of bed each day with only 700 calories in you? You're on the right path to putting back all the weight and then some. Eat more. Be healthy and fit. Then watch those pounds come off.

I don't know what to eat! I'm kinda picky, no pork or pretty much any kind of red meat. I only drink skim milk and I don't like rice or fish (except when in sushi).
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi everyone! Here is the list (everyone has provbably seen) of the "Dirty Dozen" Fruits and veggies to buy orgamnically grown. There is also a "Clean 15" list of friuts and veggies safe to buy non-organic. I read some talking about buying Natural/Organic vs non foods.

BUY ORGANIC:
    .•celery
    •peaches
    •strawberries
    •apples
    •domestic blueberries
    •nectarines
    •sweet bell peppers
    •spinach, kale and collard greens
    •cherries
    •potatoes
    •imported grapes
    •lettuce

I adhere to this list whenever I can, otherwise, I buy local fruits and veggies. Sometimes frozen. Make sure your soy products are organic. Soy is the biggest GMO crop!

Good luck to you Steep! I struggle with my last 10-12 pounds too. I also have thyroid issues, so get yours checked when you can!
    Peace!
  • steephx0x
    Options

This is an improvement!! I was at 600-700 before. I'm working on it. But I'm so full and I'm not feeling any better
  • SLLRunner
    Options

This is an improvement!! I was at 600-700 before. I'm working on it. But I'm so full and I'm not feeling any better
    Then I suggest you pay a visit to your doctor because this is not a healthy eating pattern. We are just a bunch of caring internet people and can provide moral support, but it's time for you to seek professional help.