Exercise at home?

Options
endermako
endermako Posts: 785 Member
I just started up MFP again today after a couple of months of eating way too much junk. I am recently separated and have moved into my own apartment so money is tight. Can anyone offer any workouts at home? I have a 5 year old son that I could lift and do squats and sit ups. But I'm at a loss at to what else I can do. Please help?

Replies

• SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you have internet there is a ton of stuff on youtube for free. That is if you aren't on the second floor with sensitive neighbors under you. Youtube Zumba, yoga, walking, and Jillian Michaels get me through days that I can't get out.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This a good site with free workout videos... http://hasfit.com/
  • eherte
    eherte Posts: 9
    Options
    I just Google what kind of exercise I want that day and pick one i like.
  • Wrapeisha_ItWorksDistributor
    Options
    IF YOU HAVE A DESKTOP COMPUTER AND SOME AREA IN FRONT OF IT. YOUTUBE HAVE A LOT OF EXERCISE VIDEOS. ALL OF JILLIAN MICHAELS VIDS ARE ON THERE. TAEBO, EVERYTHING. FREE!!! THATS WHAT I DO AND YOU WILL FEEL AND SEE THE RESULTS. I TRY TO MIX IT UP AND GET TO THE PARK SOMETIMES BECAUSE I GET BURNED OUT QUICKLY WITH WORKING OUT INSIDE BUT IT DOES WORK.
  • Wrapeisha_ItWorksDistributor
    Options
    ALSO GET ON PINTEREST AND START A BOARD WITH WORKOUTS. THERE ARE SO MANY WORKOUTS ON THERE FOR STRENGTH TRAINING. JUST THROW ON SOME MUSIC AND DO ONE OF THOSE.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm an app junkie and love the NTC app. (Nike Training Club). completely free and tons of workouts on it
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There are tons of great videos you can find online for free! Just google something along the lines of, "body weight exercises".

There are also a lot of great circuit programs out there! For example, even if you're not interested in doing Tough Mudder, they've got some great circuit plans posted on their website. Here are some more... http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

Look for exercise on pinterest and you'll find more short circuits to inspire you.

For recovery, I can't recommend doyogawithme.com enough. Love it, love it, love it. And you can't beat free!

Until you've got the cash for some free-weights at home, use water bottles! They're not as ergonomic, but they're totally what I used for dumbbells through college. Adds some light resistance for free :)

Good luck!
  • GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just cancelled my gym membership because I have to cut back (and I never went).

I have an Amazon Prime account (I'm a college student), and they have *tons* of different work out DVDs.

If you know someone with a DVD burner, go to the library and check out DVDs then make copies of the ones you like.

Also, I'm looking into buying a kettlebell. There's so many things you can do with them and it helps to build muscle and endurance.
  • rainynight3L33
    rainynight3L33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop. A lot. Gives me a small waist :smile:
  • EJOY1988
    EJOY1988 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying there is youtube if you have the internet. They have tons of videos (Jillian Michaels, Denise Austin, Mari WInsor, etc...) and what I've done is I have a desktop comp. which I've hooked up to my tv and use it for workout videos. The webiste I use is Lionsgate BeFit, at least it's what I prefer. They also have a youtube channel as well.

https://www.facebook.com/LionsgateBeFit

http://www.pinterest.com/lionsgatebefit/befit-go-exercise-workouts-on-the-go/

https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I just started up MFP again today after a couple of months of eating way too much junk. I am recently separated and have moved into my own apartment so money is tight. Can anyone offer any workouts at home? I have a 5 year old son that I could lift and do squats and sit ups. But I'm at a loss at to what else I can do. Please help?

Youtube has lot's of free workouts - Jessica Smith, Jillian Michaels, Leslie Sansone, Denise Austin, Fitness Blender, Exercise TV, Sean Vigue Fitness....the list goes on and on!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    you are your own gym (library book to borrow) and a $2 app.
    7 minute workout (free app)
  • mikedahle
    mikedahle Posts: 4
    Options
    My main exercise is walking laps around my apartment complex. If you have a smart phone then there is an app called MapMyFitness that is great and it will add all the walking/running calories right to your MFP.
  • lake4life
    lake4life Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do workouts at home too. I love Fitness Blender. There are tons of free workouts on there. I also go on YouTube and find tons of workouts! good luck!
  • emklsu
    emklsu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom, as well, and it's hard to squeeze exercise in! Sometimes, now that it's light out for awhile, I take my son on walks- we don't go super fast, or too far, but it is moving and burning calories! Also, when I watch him play, instead of just sitting or standing there, I do things like jumping jacks, running in place, squats, and when we are outside, I'll even do sprints across the yard. People look at me like I'm crazy, but I don't really care! I also have a hula hoop I use ($5 at the store). Cans or water bottles can sub as weights. You can do lots of ab workouts at home, too.

Also, try your local library to check out workout DVDs. Check Goodwill, yard sales, etc. for cheap weights, yoga mats, etc.
  • cnickolem
    cnickolem Posts: 15
    Options
    I also exercise at home and youtube is my best friend. I do fitness blender, jillian michaels, moms into fitness, really just any that will help me achieve my goals. I mix them up every day too so I don't get tired of them and I can focus on more of my body and what parts I want to work on. I also have AT&T uverse TV which has an interactive workout app.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I second You Are Your Own Gym and using youtube for yoga, zumba, 30 day shred, etc.

I also bought several sets on dumbbells and googled various dumbbell lifts and put together a routine for myself. If you're short on time check out things like Turkish Getup, Thrusters, Snatch, Clean and press, Romanian Deadlift, squats (I love bulgarian split squats) and floor press. Oh, and renegade rows!
  • budobo
    budobo Posts: 38
    Options
    When I'm at home I only do weights and stretches. I use one 3lbm 1 5lb, and two 8lb dumbells and one of those stretchy rope cord string things.

What I do at home is all about feeling good and getting some blood flow going. I do the real weight lifting and cardio in the gym.

I spend about 45 minutes in total. Most of this is about stretching, making my body feel good after a day of work in static positions, and targeting muscle groups in my arms, core, and butt.

I lay on my side for all of it (floor, bed, couch) usually while watching Lord of the Rings or The Princess Bride. I use the 3lb weight to stretch out my shoulders/arm/neck by bracing it against gravity with whatever motions feel good. I use the 5lb weight to do some tricep / chest, and the stretchy rope to stretch after that. The 8lbs are for bicep curls.

After, I lay on my back and massage my calves, then stretch out my legs. The elastic band is great for that. After that, I work my butt by tying the band in a loop, putting it around my ankles, and holding my leg away my body (on the side and behind).

I get slightly out of breath, feel like I breathe better, feel limber, and am slightly sore the next day!
  • brieskie
    brieskie Posts: 33
    Options
    Hey there- great effort for getting into exercises at home. I have a gym member ship, but wanted to mix it up a bit so started the insanity challenge. My favourite part about exercising at home is that you don't need to get all gym geared up!
    The best thing you might want to do at the beginning is to watch work outs on youtube or to download an ap. Nike fitness had some good workouts. Once you get a few exercises under your belt you can write up a routine.
    I bought myself a diary when I first started writing out and set up some work outs. I would do the same workout about 20 times and then mix it up a bit.

They went something along the lines of:

15 x Squats (normal)
    15 x Narrow Squats (closed legs)
    15 x Lunges
    15 x V Sit
    15 x V Crunch
    10 x Push ups (knees if needed)
    10 x Leg lowers (each leg sep. or together if you can)

1 Minute Plank

Repeat 3 times.

You can do everything you need to at home- it's just harder to get motivated sometimes. Good luck!
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I really like the bodyweight routines at Nerd Fitness or StartBodyweight. Both are completely free, but they have some paid stuff I haven't bothered buying.

Start Bodyweight's Beginner Routine: http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html

Host of Nerd Fitness Workouts (many can be done at home): http://www.nerdfitness.com/workouts/

Personally, I'm not much a fan of work out videos or things like that. They tend to make me feel silly - with these, I can dial up the intensity my own way and not be tied to a screen while doing so. Plus, the muscle development I've seen with these (I use StartBodyweight exclusively now) is amazing.