Cheat Day

Options
2»

Replies

• NZGeekGirl
    Options
    I normally have one once a week or fortnight as well. I will sometimes allow myself to eat that meal that will take me into a whole new calorie range and I don't beat myself up for it.

There is one theory as someone has already said, that to have one is good as it keeps your metabolism going and doesn't let you body get "used" to same calorie level. If you're eating right the rest of the time it's not going to make a huge difference to your weight loss. I find another benefit is that it gives you a chance to enjoy something you normally don't have and can curb a massive binge then you quitting because you feel you've failed.

Before kids when I had my first big weight loss and I had a cheat day once a week. The funny thing is that the longer I went the "healthier" my cheat day got! I went from scoffing KFC or greasy takeaways and a ton of chocolate to have a Turkish kebab with cheese.

I say, if a cheat day or a cheat meal is what you need then go for it.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I hate cheat days... for me it was an excuse for bad eating habits to creep back in. I do allow myself foods that I do enjoy but I always calculate them into my calories. If I go over my calories by a 100 or 2 I don't usually fret, any more than that I try to do something to help burn some of it off.

It works for me, but you need to decide what will work best for you. You know you better than anyone! Hope that helps!
  • NZGeekGirl
    Options
    It works for me, but you need to decide what will work best for you. You know you better than anyone! Hope that helps!

Totally agree with this! Having a cheat day isn't necessarily for everyone I think. At one point I did cut them out because one day would turn into a week. These days I'm at a stage where I'm better to have a cheat day or meal because it means that I won't end up just binging and falling right off the wagon.
  • Ruslana2
    Options
    I don't trust myself to go a day cheating, but if i'm feeling strong i might choose a small indulgence, like a caesar salad on the side. I'm trying to get away from using food as a reward..so I try to do other things that make me feel good, go shopping, take the time to read, knit, talk to a friend, take a nice drive..
  • shaunadroddy
    Options
    i am sorry that is what i meant, a cheat meal, not a cheat day, lol! the reason i was asking was because i "cheated' on a chinesse buffet!!!!!!!! it was so not worth it. i only ate a portion of what i would have ate before starting my new healthy lifestyle! i think i only went over my calorie goal by a few hundred and i exercised a little more than i normaly would have that evening, thanks for all the responses!