Today's my 1st day...

Options
stacyosoyoos
stacyosoyoos Posts: 41 Member
Recently I had my weight checked at the doctor's office; when the result was shared with me I was in shock. I dropped the "F-bomb" then immediately apologized. I knew I had gained weight but wasn't prepared to hear the number read back to me. It was in that moment that I decided I needed to make some changes.... that was 3 day's ago. Since then I have recorded everything I put into my mouth, I count calories and keep track of my exercise activities. I've started my journey to weight loss... along the way I hope to add a few friends and decrease the pounds.

Feel free to send a friend request, I hope to log in daily to track my progress and read how others are doing as well.

Cheers :)

Replies

• Lanie2012
    Lanie2012 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You'll do great! You'll get the hang of it. Just don't give up. You're worth the effort. I like to watch Extreme Weight Loss on ABC to keep motivated, or shows like Biggest Loser. Read, read, read. Make getting healthy your new addiction. I wish someone had told me these things when I first started. Good on ya for reaching out.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    One thing that will help is to post your weight and goal on a banner. Then it shows up on every post. It really helps me be mindful of what I'm doing and why.
  • K_M_O_C_K
    K_M_O_C_K Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm back at it myself today. I too can sympathize with a doctors visit being a rude awakening. I have been putting off getting back in the swing of things for WAY too long. Today is my 39th birthday and I decided to commit myself to "fit before 40" and give it a year to get in the shape I want (ideally need to lose 40 pounds).
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats stacy on your first step :) ive been up and down with weight and im at my heaviest, it sucks lol But this place is great for support and good kick in butt, there are few trolls but for most part its great, good luck!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Just remember, this is a lifestyle, not a diet. It's forever. You will slip and fall. We all have. Get back up when that happens and just get on with it. Eat clean. Drink water. Drink more water. Give up sugar and all soda. Measure and weigh your food. Log everyday. Get moving. Have a cheat treat or meal once in while. Never give up. You can do it.
  • handbagfan
    handbagfan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Welcome. :flowerforyou:
    Hello, please feel free to add me .:happy: I'm a newbie on here, I think this is such a fantastic site. Lots of support and make new friends to share the hi's and low's. - although not too many lows. XX:tongue:
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    same with me at the doctor! she said "oh you've put on weight, i can see it in your face". when i left, at first i was really mad and how dare she say that to me! BUT then i calmed down and was glad someone was honest with me. I had put on 20 pounds in one year and had mentioned in to a couple of friends and they kep saying 'no don't be silly you're fine!' which doesn't help. its nice to be given a reality check, although harsh at first
  • AndyMcMahan
    AndyMcMahan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yea, I think the most successful folks are probably those that had a very harsh "reality check" all at once. That's what happened to me (with a set of photos.)

I find that the "success stories" (especially those with photos) here on the forums are the best motivation. There are just WAY too many on here to simply say it's a fluke or some sort of marketing scam (as you might think if you saw them on TV.)
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The only thing more alarming than the weight my doctor read back to me was the number she gave me for my blood pressure.

There are unlimited ways to get this done. Glad you made your way here.
  • Macyfiinks
    Macyfiinks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm also new here, too. What I have found to be motivational is to look through all of the success stories. Seeing other people's progress helps me stay on track with myself. I always think, "I want to be one of those success stories!" It's good to see other people starting out on their journey, as well. That's also very motivating. :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Be active on here. Post your photos. Be friendly and involved.

This will help encourage you to keep logging in and keep logging your foods. It is a support system!

Everyone here wants everyone else to succeed!
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!! You'll do well, just log every day and stay positive! Plan ahead and make sure you have lower calorie options around the home/work/school ect. :) And we're all here to support, offer advice or generally have a giggle if needed!
  • stacyosoyoos
    Options
    Thanks so much!
    I love those shows too, but have decided to not install cable for the summer months and focus on outdoor activities for now. I might have to log on through the internet and have a peek every once in awhile, I can see how they would help motivate a person :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

I had a rude awakening too, due to longtime fear of the scale. I knew I had gained a lot (clothes not fitting that I'd worn at my heaviest should have been a tip off) but figured I was in the 180s (my prior high, before losing a bunch of weight in my early 30s), and was shocked and horrified and so down for a couple of days after I got up the courage to weigh myself that it almost derailed me. And then it just made me more motivated. And also motivated to get over my dumb fear of weighing myself. Allowing myself to be in denial for so long was not good.

IME so far, making shorter term goals really helps with sustaining motivation.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Good luck. Remember, it's not a race; whatever number the doctor's office scale spat out didn't arrive over the course of one week, or one meal. Give yourself time to reach your maintenance weight. You can do it.
  • stacyosoyoos
    Options
    Thank you so much Mark,
    As soon as I figure out how to use this site a little better I will certainly do that.
  • Gabillysmommy
    Options
    It was a Drs visit for me as well. I've been at since April 22, 2014 and I've lost about 22 lbs. Since joining mfp I've lost 10. I love reading the blogs and getting the supports of some peers fighting the same daily challenges. Good luck!! Your a fighter!! Let us hear you roar!!!!
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I have been here a short few weeks now and have to say it is a great place!! You will find many like minded people who are willing to give you honest, positive support!... One day at a time and you will be where you want to be in no time at all!!... Feel free to add me and good luck on your journey!!
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    goodluck on your journey :)
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    Welcome! Stay positive and when the going gets tough, don't look more than one hour ahead. I have to do this myself to prevent the entire journey from seeming overwhelming. I started at 362 pounds and I'm on my last 67 to go. If I can do this, you can do it! :smile: