Doctor's office scale vs. mine

Options
2»

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    "Weight" is a pretty arbitrary value, what matters is the trend not the number itself. I wouldn't worry about it and just go with what the scale you will be measuring yourself on says.

Because the number will go up and down to a large degree .. this is totally the right approach. The number is really not important .. but the trend of upwards or down that is important.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It is 1.7 pounds different.

Use the one at home.
  • ichigomaybridge
    ichigomaybridge Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree consistency is key, use your own scale and weigh yourself under the same conditions (time of day, clothing, etc) to get the best accuracy. I wouldn't bother with additions/subtractions. When I went to the doctor last week I was 4 lbs heavier on their scale, but I was also fully dressed and hydrated in the afternoon (I weigh myself in the morning, naked, after peeing). Even then my weight will go up and down pound or two day to day.

I had the same a few weeks ago - except weighed myself just before I left, ate/drank nothing, walked a mile to the doctor's office... and gained 8lb by their scales by the time I got there! I tried to argue but they said it had been calibrated the day before and was 'really accurate'. Was a real downer, but I decided to ignore it and just go by my scale at home anyway.
    I only record a weight if it's below my former lowest weight.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I go by my own. Since my doctor uses the manual one where you pull the numbers over(and not a digital one), I feel it's not entirely accurate. Theirs recently said I was about 5lbs over what my scale at home logged just a few hours previous. I can gain an extra few lbs of water weight during the day...but never 5, and especially not within a few hours. I've noticed more luck with the accuracy of my digital scale (CVS, less than $20), than the manual ones at the doctor and at the gym.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    "Weight" is a pretty arbitrary value, what matters is the trend not the number itself. I wouldn't worry about it and just go with what the scale you will be measuring yourself on says.

Because the number will go up and down to a large degree .. this is totally the right approach. The number is really not important .. but the trend of upwards or down that is important.

TREND is the key word there as well. I try not to let the little ups / downs bother me or even just the repeat numbers.

You won't be weighing at the doctors every day... so I'd just use my own scale... or just consistently the same scale... same time of day... same state. I always weight after I get outta bed, pee, weigh, log it, shower, etc. Because after that it will change.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Every scale is a little different. Stick to one scale. Also remember that the scale is not a true test of fitness after a certain point. I would recommend getting a pair of body fat calipers (they are pretty cheap) and track your progress with that and girth measurements instead. far more accurate.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Does not matter. Use one scale as reference and follow that :) Thats what i do
  • minusalatte
    minusalatte Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So I need some feedback... I went to the doctor about a month ago and before I went I weighed myself on my home scale. My home scale said I was 1.7 pounds heavier than the one at the doctor's office. Since then I have been subtracting 1.7 pounds from my morning weight on my home scale... is this right or wrong? What should I do? If I go by the weight on my scale then I need to re-enter my weights on MFP.
    Did you bring your scale to the doctor's office, or did you wear the same thing home and then weigh yourself without eating, drinking, peeing, or sweating between those weigh-ins?

i weighed myself on my scale right before i left for the doc office. Same clothes and everything. Did not have anything to drink. My scale was higher than the doc office scale
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    OP what in your opinion is the definition of your "correct" weight?
  • minusalatte
    Options
    Weighed myself again at the doc and my scale is off by 1.7 so I am going to keep subtracting 1.7. I will try to see if putting new batteries in it fixes the problem. Thank you for your responses!
  • minusalatte
    Options

i would rather be seeing more of a weight loss than less. It is more motivation
  • Diamond1014
    Diamond1014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What time of day do you weigh? Have you eaten/drank before the Dr appointment? Weight can fluctuate even throughout your day. I weigh naked, after using the bathroom once a week first thing in the morning, I know I don't go to the Dr's naked at 5:45am on a Friday.... I would go by the one at home personally, since you can track that easier than a Dr's appt periodically :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

But you didn't lose more. You lost the exact same amount. Your starting point would have been off 1.7 pounds, too.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

But you didn't lose more. You lost the exact same amount. You starting point would have been off 1.7 pounds, too.

Right. The trend will be the same regardless of what scale you use or what the number on the scale is...so you may as well just use your home scale and not bother adjusting it to some arbitrary value on the assumption that one scale is more "correct" than the other. In the end it won't matter.