Yay or nay: Lunchbreak powerwalk/jog group at the office

Options
Thinking about starting a lunchbreak workout group at the office. Has anyone done this successfully? There's a small park literally steps away from my job. We have no shower stations or in-house gym, but I'm thinking a walk or run could be good and might help the busybodies, myself included find more time in the day to be active and hold each other accountable. My employer's culture is very health and wellness positive.

Other questions:
How long should it be? Assuming we have a 1 hr break, whether we use all that time or not (most probably don't)

Would a powerwalk, say 30 minutes be intense enough to make a difference, since we probably can't freshen up much to sweat out a run? There are also many older folks and/or overweight people including myself who I'd like to encourage to join even if they don't think they can keep up.

Is organizing this worth it or would I be better off trying it on my own and on my own schedule?

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    One of my old bosses successfully set up a running club in the office and managed to get a pretty good turnout. Ours was after work though - I seriously doubt it would've went as well if everyone had to go back to work without a shower.... Its a nice idea though - it cant hurt to try.
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I jog over my lunch hour with coworkers. I get a 1 hour lunch and we do a 2 mile loop most days, which allows plenty of time to change and get cleaned up. I have access to a shower now but when I didn't I'd use baby wipes and dry shampoo. Better than not getting it done at all and some days that's just all I can fit in.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I run up to 6 miles at lunch sometimes - I bird bath with a wet towel and soap -
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Little steps chip away at big goals. I say DO IT!! But I'd walk, not run just for the sake of not being sweaty and stinky.

Also, make a group if you want but don't let anyone hold you back. if you want to go at noon sharp and others are late or less dedicated just don't let that be something that impacts your commitment to getting active over your lunch.

Great idea!!
  • libia518
    libia518 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks all! Sounds like it's worth a shot. Hope I can get some interest sparked! Worst that could happen is it doesn't work out and it's up to me to get active with a good routine, whatever that may be.I have no problem with weekends but weekdays can certainly be rough - timing and energy wise.