Spicy food vs Metabolism? Also Apple Cider Vinegar.

Options
Hi guys!

first time poster here! I haven't come across anything so far that has answered this question for me..

I have read on the internet somewhere that spicy/hot food can help to speed up metabolism. Is this true or just another instance of "don't trust everything you read on the internet"? I don't eat a lot of spicy food, but I just had some jalapeno's in a salad, which reminded me of the thing I read..

Also, does anyone else use Apple Cider Vinegar for anything? I have heard it aids in weight loss, leveling the boy's pH, making hair shiny, clearing skin, detoxing the liver etc.. has anyone had any results of this? I add a bit to my water everyday, and I have noticed that my skin is less oily, but that could also be because I am eating a LOT better than I used to.. and exercising a lot too (bootcamp - crossfit/boxfit 5 days a week).

Just curious about these things! Any advice/experience with them would be great to hear about!

Thanks!!

TJ

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I can't say about any metabolism boost, but I love spicy food. The endorphins make me come back for more, and salsa it's a great way to eat veggies. I put it on everything! Then I get thirsty, and drink all the water I'm supposed to!

Win-win. Win.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Spicy food can cause a slight increase in metabolism (look up capsaicin), but the result is pretty negligible. You could do 10 jumping jacks before your meal and get more effect. In the overall scheme of things, you are better off eating what you enjoy rather than chasing that elusive 1% benefit.

As for the apple cider vinegar, I'm a bit sceptical but anecdotally some people swear by it. It may have some merit or it may be a placebo effect. Ether way if you enjoy it or think it is doing you some good there is absolutely no harm continuing to have it. Like anything else though, don't expect any miraculous results, it will have no effect on your fat loss.
  • localised
    localised Posts: 25
    Options
    studies have shown that spices do serve as a mild metabolism booster & appetite suppressant. (a source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110425173902.htm)

that said, i'm asian and eat spicy food every day... pretty sure i've built immunity to any miraculous weight-loss effects of spicy food. :P
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Dunno but might be true. I am very short around 4'11" and very little lean body mass. I weigh 50 kgs (110 lbs) . Last month I ate over 2500 calories everyday though I was pretty sure my TDEE is around 1700-1900. I didnt even work out.

I am an Indian and i went home during last month so I was eating my moms traditional spicy food.

And I didnt even gain a pound!!!

That is actually making me think and when I saw ur post I was like yeah, that might be the case! :P Also it was very hot there!
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Almost everything I eat is spicy and I use a LOT of Apple Cider Vinegar.

I put hot pepper in almost all my veg dishes and use hot sauce on EVERYTHING. Does it help to speed things up...well, not sure, but most of it is very low cal, so it's a great replacement to other high cal condiments. However, be aware that many (most?) hot sauces are high in sodium so it could cause one to retain water.

APV same thing, low cal and great to help make dishes tangy.

I'd say both fall under the 80% of things that probably don't matter much...but sometimes its what they don't do that counts, and both of these are low calorie and high in flavor. What's not to love about that?

Enjoy!
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Mmm....spicy foods.

Not sure about it actually speeding metabolism up...but it does speed other, er, things up. Which might help with weight loss! :laugh:
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar does nothing to your body's pH (your lungs and kidneys maintain that on a second-by-second basis), and your liver doesn't need "detoxing."