im officialy starting my diet. will this work?

Options
I'm a 19 year old girl. I'm 5'5 and I weigh 194 pounds. Currently I eat the most horrible things. Mostly fast food, microwaving meals, pop tarts etc. And I NEVER workout. Heres what I'm going to start doing... As far as eating goes, I'm only going to eat when I'm hungry and my stomach growls. Which only happens once or twice a day. I'm cutting out all bad carbs and will only eat good ones. So basically just meat and vegtables. As far as exercise, I'm going to start that "couch to 5k" plan. If you havn't heard of it, it eases you into jogging 3 times a week. Once I get a little used to jogging, I'll work some strength training in. And once I finish the couch to 5k plan, I'll probably start jogging more than just 3 days a week. ...Do you think this will work? Will I loose weight this way? I think it's a pretty perfect plan but I know theres so many facters that go into loosing weight and little surprises here and there. Also I'd like to add that I don't get much sleep, I smoke a lot of cigaurets and I drink tons of diet soda.

Replies

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The number one thing you have to remember here is never let your net calories go below 1200 if you can help it. It's fine to be there for a little while, just try not to keep it lower than that if you can. Your body needs calories and energy to function properly. It sounds like you have a really unhealthy lifestyle and if you don't change that you won't ever be able to maintain a healthy weight. Losing weight and being healthy is about a lot more than just exercise like running. Diet soda is even worse for you than regular soda first off. Like it or not health includes sacrifice, if you want to be healthy you have to act and eat healthy. Running can not solve all your problems.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are determined to make a change which is good. I'd take things a little slower though or you might quickly get fed up and go back to old ways.

Rather than waiting until you're hungry (tummy rumbling etc.) before you eat why not plan 3-4 regular meals that way you are less likely to over eat at each meal. On the subject of diet soda...although it may not have many calories it keeps you wanting sweet things, so I'd gradually cut it down and replace with water. No need to cut it out completely if you enjoy it but get it under control.

Good luck and well done for getting this far :smile:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest tracking your calories (we are on a calorie-counting website after all) and setting your weight loss goal to something moderate, like 1lb per week. You don't want to get burned out! Think of this as a permanent change, as lifestyle rather than as a temporary diet.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm a 19 year old girl. I'm 5'5 and I weigh 194 pounds. Currently I eat the most horrible things. Mostly fast food, microwaving meals, pop tarts etc. And I NEVER workout. Heres what I'm going to start doing... As far as eating goes, I'm only going to eat when I'm hungry and my stomach growls. Which only happens once or twice a day. I'm cutting out all bad carbs and will only eat good ones. So basically just meat and vegtables. As far as exercise, I'm going to start that "couch to 5k" plan. If you havn't heard of it, it eases you into jogging 3 times a week. Once I get a little used to jogging, I'll work some strength training in. And once I finish the couch to 5k plan, I'll probably start jogging more than just 3 days a week. ...Do you think this will work? Will I loose weight this way? I think it's a pretty perfect plan but I know theres so many facters that go into loosing weight and little surprises here and there. Also I'd like to add that I don't get much sleep, I smoke a lot of cigaurets and I drink tons of diet soda.
    No offense but I see a lot of people do this. Suddenly want to lose weight and get fit so then decide on some plan that changes everything in their life. In my experience and just from observations this normally leads to failure.

I would recommend starting with small changes. Follow the sexy pants link someone kindly posted earlier. Set a reasonable calorie deficit and stick to it. You do not need to starve or eat strange foods. Then once your comfortable introduce some exercise. Find something your going to like so you'll keep up. C25K works well for some people but remember you need to be able to walk briskly for 30 minutes 3 times a week before you start it. Walking is a great exercise and a great start to anything. Also remember exercise is for fitness and diet is for weightloss.

As I said don't try and change everything at once as that rarely works. Good luck
  • randomusername5
    randomusername5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Getting enough sleep is very important to maintaining healthy body weight.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're really motivated to make a change which is great. But try not to be too aggressive in your approach. Make small changes over time, rather than go at it full force straight away, as someone mentioned before it may lead to failure.

Most people here will tell you never to eliminate food groups - e.g. carbohydrates. If you plan on completing C25K you will need carbs for energy. By all means limit them but don't cut them out completely. There is also no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' carbs. Some will have more nutritional value than others, e.g. eating brown rice rather than white rice, but doesn't make white rice 'bad' - IIFYM you can eat what you want - yes, even ice cream if you have the calories/fat/sugar, etc.

Whatever plan you decide to follow you need to consider whether it is sustainable - can you live this way for the rest of your life? If your goal is to lose X amount of weight for a wedding/holiday/birthday etc, and don't really care about afterwards, then fine. But if you plan on losing weight and becoming healthier for good you need to make sure you are able to stick to it.

ETA: make sure you drink water. I recently read somewhere you should "drink like it's your job"