HRM, Fitbit, Jawbone, Garmin? Help!

Options
Katleskin
Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
I'm fairly new to 'proper' exercise. I've lost 34lbs so far this year from using MFP, walking, swimming (my main cardio), weights and the odd fitness DVD if I can bear it. I'm feeling more confident with my fitness abilities and really want to carry on and take it further (baby steps are the key for me so I don't get overwhelmed and demotivated).

I'm wanting to get something that will monitor my calorie burns as accurately as possible but I'm a bit confused as to which device would be best. I already have a 'Poolmate' for counting my laps/times/stroke rate for swimming but would like something that would work for the rest of my fitness endeavours. Ideally one that syncs easily/is compatible with MFP. I have an Android smartphone which I tend to use for logging stuff (MFP/Runkeeper) so compatibility with that is fairly important too. One that could also be used in the pool would be great too but not essential (I notice Fitbits are 'water resistant' to 1m - does that mean they're safe for swimming?)..

Any recommendations, opinions, experiences?

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    FitBit is great for step counting and activity monitoring, and reasonable for calorie burn (great for walking/running, not so accurate for weight lifting).
    I have the One clipped to my bra, and I heard it's a bit more accurate in step counting than the bracelets. It's not waterproof though.
    It syncs easy to MFP.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Don't get a jawbone - they break and are terrible at syncing. I think most people on here get a Fitbit for tracking steps and a HRM for calorie burn estimates.
  • zoefruitcake
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Flex, it makes me want to achieve my goals and syncs with MFP
  • Jennilyn79
    Jennilyn79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you really want accurate calorie burn then you need a HRM with a chest strap. There is new beginning technology that monitors HR through the wrist but they're expensive and don't sync. I think within the next few years we'll start to se the likes of fitbit with these capabilities. I use a polar HRM that has a watch and cheat strap. But if you also want to track steps then you'll need something like the fitbit, which seems to before popular than jawbone or the nike fuel
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't really think there is a perfect answer to this. I looked and could not get 1 device that does everything. I have a Garmin Forerunner GPS/HRM and I love everything that it does. However it does not hook into MFP. So I still need my phone and runkeeper. Runkeeper will accept a HRM but it needs to be a bluetooth HRM, mine is a ANT+ which is supported by my phone (Galaxy S4) and there are a couple of apps that do support ANT+ HRM but I have not played with them much,
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMediaFit, which gives you your steps, calories burned and sleep (quantity and quality). It easily syncs with MFP but isn't waterproof : ( I've been wearing it for almost a year and love it.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a Fitbit Flex and I love it. It's great to track any step activities (walking, jogging, running,etc). It also monitors your sleep patterns! As it is, in effect, a fancy pedometer, it doesn't track non-step activities, such as cycling, weight lifting, exercise classes, etc - I log these activities. It is sweat proof and you can wear it in the shower but you can't submerge it in water so you won't be able to wear it swimming. I also have an Android and predominantly use the Fitbit and MFP apps and it syncs very well.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for all the info everyone. I think I will go for a Fitbit this month (because they seem fun/interesting) then get a heart rate monitor when I return to the gym after the summer.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For accurate calorie burn info a HRM with a chest strap is best. I use an older Garmin (FR60) and while it does not sync with MFP I input the info. into my exercise diary through my laptop. I already know the distance of most runs as I have used Runkeeper to measure the distances of various routes that I use often.
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at the new nike fuel bands here while on holidays anyone have that one?