1200 calories to low for a woman?

Options
13»

Replies

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Even when I wasn't exercising I was fine on 1500 and lost 2 pounds a week. I was gone here for a while but now I'm back and I keep my net calories above 1200 and workout a lot. I am losing 2 lbs a week.

The truth is that 2 months ago I weighed 204. My progress on here might show that I was at a stand still for a long time but I just didn't want to add the weight I gained back I so I waited until I hit below 191 which is where I was last time I updated last year. I hit 189 a couple of days ago and so I've started updating my weight again.

I go to Golds Gym every other day. Since I workout a lot more I of course go well above 1500, but even on the days I don't workout I still am fine. I never eat below 1375.
  • clairetomkinson84
    clairetomkinson84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's just a base. If you exercise you will find you can eat more calories. What you exercise off you earn back in calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How many calories are woman in their 30's using? I am 5'4 and 226lbs and myfitness suggests 1200 calories daily. I feel like maybe that isn't enough.

You mean you can't control your eating down to that level ? or something else....

If you were to lose most of your excess weight over a year you would average 890 cals/day from your fat reserves. If you're looking to spend a lot longer you can use the reserves at a slower rate and eat more.
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0", weigh around 107.5 lbs and I eat 1,200 calories just to maintain that. When I have gone up even a little, I start gaining weight back. I feel pretty healthy, and I don’t look underweight.
  • ForeverSunshine23
    Options
    It depends on how active you are throughout the day. I'm 5'4 120lbs and I eat an average of 2000 calories daily. I stay really active throughout the day though.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    How many calories are woman in their 30's using? I am 5'4 and 226lbs and myfitness suggests 1200 calories daily. I feel like maybe that isn't enough.

Lacey

I went to webmd.com to check out what they (Doctors had to recommend for my weight lose based on age, 60, current weight, 195, and amount of exercise. There recommendations were very close to MFP. It said for me to eat 1262 calories a day, exercise 150 minutes a week and to add 2 days of core strength work outs. I have followed this plan and have lost from 237 to 195 since January with no bad side effects. Now, saying this...............you are only in your 30's so you may need more since as we age our metabolism slows, we lose muscle, etc. so I would double check.

BTW...............I might be 60 and have slower metabalism, less muscle and all that crap but its not stopping me, I am getting stronger, leaner, and much more energetic so I can get to my bucket list faster:bigsmile:
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If the advice works on this page = AWESOME! I listened to the popular opinion to raise my calories. I did not loose. I actually gained by raising it to 1500. I then lowered it to 1200 for a few weeks. I maintained. Now I am loosing. I am at 1000-1100 plus any extra exercise above normal [which is usually construction work]. As a certified nutritionist I was very annoyed. My dietitian, endocrinologist and oncologists monitor my diet. They made it very clear diet is not general. It is personalized. My regular doctor had me test my resting metabolic rate. It is 1348. I would highly suggest having your personal resting metabolic rate tested if you feel you are not reacting as the masses do. Some will need more than what is "norm" or less as I do. My body simply does not need the calories. It will not even use them. I am 43. I ate about 1200 most my life and never gained. Then I married. He thought it was an eating disorder. I ate more with him and gained 70 in a year! I don't eat with him anymore :). Seven years later it is coming off slowly. Also keep in mind you might want to get blood work before you start. My husband and I have two absolutely different diets because of our blood work results. If you are low on D, iron, or high on your cholesterol, those few calories will be very important to use them wisely. I decided to prepare us three different meals each day to match our personal needs and likes. Best wishes.
  • jessicacahill4
    Options
    Just for the record, I did take into account OP's height and weight as posted, she is a petite gal (at 5'4) that hasn't been very active...

As another poster said, 1,200 CAN feel restrictive and make room for a doughnut (gulp)...1,600 has much less wiggle room to fudge your food intake. If you plan correctly, and log BEFORE you eat, sticking to a goal of 1,200 can be a healthy way to lose. Of course, you can add back in your workout calories (for me, that can be up to 8-900 on a double workout day) and there is nothing restrictive or hungry about 2,000 calories (I have only gone as high as 1,650 on my worst cheat day).

May we all find the magic formula that is our "sweet spot" to success!