French Diet - Does it work?

Options
Hi guys,

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about the "French diet" the portion control lifestyle where you don't have to count calories. The basics are as follows:

Eat high-quality food in small portions.
Prize quality over quantity in the foods you choose.
Savor each bite you take.
Walk for exercise and do weight training.
Eat three meals a day at regular times.

Now, I have heard a lot from work colleagues that about diets, they say that including things like real butter, whole fat milk and fresh bread is better than buying the diet brands because if you eat small portions of rich food it stops your body craving more food because you are not denying it. I have also lived with a French man, and he always had full fat creme fraiche, cheese and butter in his fridge. He and his girlfriend, who made a fantastic pear tarte au tatin, were both not obese and quite slim.

So guys what's the verdict? I am currently on 1300 calories a day, and I am aiming to exercise with couch to 5k podcasts 3 times a week with strength training. Do you think portion control and moderation is the way forward?

Thanks!

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I was hoping it involved eating obscene amounts of French fries, crepes, crullers, eclairs, Madeleines, and macaroons. I could stand behind this, but not behind an "eat magical foods on a schedule and don't count the calories" thing. It don't work like that.

Oh, and "bonjour"
    LAOul7Y.jpg
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something you will do and then wonder why you're not losing any weight. It doesn't matter what you eat - if you go over a certain amount of calories, you will gain. Stay under a certain amount and you'll lose. Besides, without tracking calories, guessing at portion sizes is impossible for me. It's hard for me to understand what a "small" portion is, and on the other hand, how will you know if it's enough? It just sounds way too messy to consider a good weight loss plan, and not really sustainable afterward either.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why is that French?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of the basic concepts except the certain # of meals - that's just bunk.

My other major issue is there's no limits regarding portion control. I'm sure that couple you lived with was great about eating reasonable portions and being active so those rich foods fit nicely into their calorie balance without them having to keep track of everthing (I know a few people like this). The problem with most of us who are overweight, and especially Americans who are served huge portions of things, we have no earthly concept of what a normal portion of food is.

So that's why calorie counting can be a vital tool Eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your calorie goal. And be active for your health (and to earn more calories). How about try the diet but still log the foods so you're sure you're not over eating.

Unsolicited advice: you may want to change your goal to 1 or 1.5 pounds per week. 1300 seems like an awfully low calorie goal for you at this point (going by your ticker).

Good luck, however you decide to proceed.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I know some foods that are quality that a small portion would blow up half my days calories. Js
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I read a book about this - 'why french women don't get fat' I think. It was quite a good read, for a 'diet' book.

Her main idea, as I remember it, was that France's very strong food culture prevents people getting fat. Food is very highly regarded - hence far fewer junk food outlets that you find in the USA. French people have strong traditions about when, and what, to eat, and French women are happy to indulge in feasts and family dinners but make up for it afterwards by eating less, instead enjoying the memory of the lovely dinner. I think she also mentioned how snacking is just not part of French culture, it would be seen as strange to keep needing to eat between meals. And, as you say, she claimed Fench people would rather have one tiny delicious elegant petit four, than a massive stodgy frosted doughnut. Quality over quantity.

I don't know where you are from - US? UK? - but I think food culture is quite a powerful tool to use in losing weight. Think back to your grandparents and great grandparents - were they overweight? WHat kinds of food would they have eaten, and what would have been the cultural and social norms about when, how, and where to eat? You could try to adompt a French food culture if you want, but perhaps drawing strength and inspiration from the food traditions you 'own' would be even more useful.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I read a book about this - 'why french women don't get fat' I think. It was quite a good read, for a 'diet' book.

Her main idea, as I remember it, was that France's very strong food culture prevents people getting fat. Food is very highly regarded - hence far fewer junk food outlets that you find in the USA. French people have strong traditions about when, and what, to eat, and French women are happy to indulge in feasts and family dinners but make up for it afterwards by eating less, instead enjoying the memory of the lovely dinner. I think she also mentioned how snacking is just not part of French culture, it would be seen as strange to keep needing to eat between meals. And, as you say, she claimed Fench people would rather have one tiny delicious elegant petit four, than a massive stodgy frosted doughnut. Quality over quantity.

I don't know where you are from - US? UK? - but I think food culture is quite a powerful tool to use in losing weight. Think back to your grandparents and great grandparents - were they overweight? WHat kinds of food would they have eaten, and what would have been the cultural and social norms about when, how, and where to eat? You could try to adompt a French food culture if you want, but perhaps drawing strength and inspiration from the food traditions you 'own' would be even more useful.

I have read in multiple places about the fact that the French generally don't snack - even the children. It drives me crazy that I have to send a snack to school with my tweens every day. Really? They do NOT need to snack constantly. I snack, but it really is out of habit not necessity. If I cut out my snacks, I would be eating FAR less each day - probably 400+ calories on most days!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Have you actually been to France? There are fat and Obese people there quite a lot actually. This idea that the French or the Italians are all fit slim and healthy is just a Myth. They have similar problems to the rest of the western world I'm afraid
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It'll work if it allows you to stay under your maintenance calories. If it doesn't, it won't.

For me, I'm betting I could easily overeat on quality foods.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    The google search didn't help me find a study quoted by a registered dietician. The RD made a comment about French people eating at a much slower rate per meal then Americans. She was equating it to your mind sensing when you 'feel satiated' and the timing of the feeling. I think the timing was something like the average American eats a meal in 14 minutes and the average Frenchmen(sorry grammatical folks if this is wrong) was around 32 minutes. The French eat slower, converse longer, and 'savor' the food. So #3 is probably accurate. Do they weigh less on average, no idea. Ironically, I was sitting beside a friend who was morbidly obese; she is French.

So TL;DR #3 probably accurate; length(time) of meal effects intake(probably).
  • Tardytriathlete
    Tardytriathlete Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was hoping it involved eating obscene amounts of French fries, crepes, crullers, eclairs, Madeleines, and macaroons. I could stand behind this, but not behind an "eat magical foods on a schedule and don't count the calories" thing. It don't work like that.

Haha not so much! I wasn't tempted by the high calorie crepes and French fries so much as the idea that I should not be afraid of things like butter and cheese. I still want to calorie count with exercise but I want to have an healthy attitude towards food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Haha not so much! I wasn't tempted by the high calorie crepes and French fries so much as the idea that I should not be afraid of things like butter and cheese. I still want to calorie count with exercise but I want to have an healthy attitude towards food.

It's true that there's no reason to be afraid of butter and cheese. Just weigh out your portion and work it into your calorie/macro goals.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    Yes, I live in the UK and have been to France lots of times, and Italy twice. The book I read suggested that rising obesity in France was due to the spread of an new food culture (specifically, an American food culture) and that this was undermining the traditions which historically kept French women (and she is talking specifically about women) slim despite their rich national diet. I reserve judgement on whether the author was correct in this assertion - I have not looked into the obesity statistics of France recently.

You see fat people everywhere - theories based on society and culture refer to general trends and patterns, rather than individual experiences. I've met skinny Americans, but that does not mean the USA does not have an obesity problem.

EDIT - in response to 'Have you actually been to France?...'
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    this sounds like common sense.

Which isn't just french.
  • Tardytriathlete
    Options
    I like a lot of the basic concepts except the certain # of meals - that's just bunk.

My other major issue is there's no limits regarding portion control. I'm sure that couple you lived with was great about eating reasonable portions and being active so those rich foods fit nicely into their calorie balance without them having to keep track of everthing (I know a few people like this). The problem with most of us who are overweight, and especially Americans who are served huge portions of things, we have no earthly concept of what a normal portion of food is.

So that's why calorie counting can be a vital tool Eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your calorie goal. And be active for your health (and to earn more calories). How about try the diet but still log the foods so you're sure you're not over eating.

Unsolicited advice: you may want to change your goal to 1 or 1.5 pounds per week. 1300 seems like an awfully low calorie goal for you at this point (going by your ticker).

Good luck, however you decide to proceed.

Thank you for the advice :) I haven't weighed myself yet, and I am not calorie starved. I have done MFP before and found losing 1.5 pound a week was utterly satisfying, I guess it's more of an experiment on my part to see if I can get my snacking right down! (I am a snacker as I work late evenings!)

I just don't want to be afraid of what I eat, calorie counting is one thing but I have heard so many people tell me "oh my goodness that is soooo bad for you it has 5g of carbohydrates in it" and I don't want to be that person. So the French philosophy, if you can call it that, may be the way to go if I want to keep on friendly terms with good food without being miserable about what I can and can not eat.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options

I just don't want to be afraid of what I eat, calorie counting is one thing but I have heard so many people tell me "oh my goodness that is soooo bad for you it has 5g of carbohydrates in it" and I don't want to be that person. So the French philosophy, if you can call it that, may be the way to go if I want to keep on friendly terms with good food without being miserable about what I can and can not eat.

I agree, one of the attractive things about any way of eating based on traditional cuisines instead of micronutrients is that it celebrates delicious food and avoids some of the anxiety I think calorie counting can induce in some (many?) people.
  • Tardytriathlete
    Options

I am UK born and my great grandparents and grandparents were not overweight but my parents are overweight and diabetic. My father is loves rich foods like beer, cheese, meat etc and my mother is a yo yo dieter who doesn't exercise. I was brought up with big portions of comfort food and a snacking mentality. My grandparents seem to eat the same food but less snacking and more walking and same with my great grandparents. We always say that in the UK our grandparents could eat more pies, potatoes and white bread with real butter and lard because they had more active lifestyles. My great grandmother for example lived on a farm and was up at 5am and would not go to bed until work and school was finished at 11pm as she worked on a farm. The social change is fascinating, as she put a lot more stress in her body and was still relatively healthy and lived well into her nineties. We are a lazy and convenience driven generation, and it has been difficult to find the right balance of what's right and what's wrong when it comes to food.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Which isn't just french.

Exactly. Just eat quality food, in moderation.

The moderation bit is what gets me every time though! :laugh:
  • Tardytriathlete
    Options

Which isn't just french.

Good point well made. :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Eat high-quality food in small portions.
    Prize quality over quantity in the foods you choose.
    Savor each bite you take.
    Walk for exercise and do weight training.
    Eat three meals a day at regular times.

Last night I had a rich smoked gouda with very thin crackers, so as to better savor the cheese. It was high quality, I savored it. I went for a jog and I did Stronglifts 5X5 all yesterday. I'm losing weight because I weighed the cheese and counted the calories. The problem with this "diet" is that there is no indication of what a small portion is. How do you know, unless you've baselined it.

I've lost 50 lbs at a time in the past. The reason I never kept it off was that I was probably only netting about 800 calories a day. Since I wasn't counting calories, I was under eating and over exercising. The weight fell right off, but then I got burnt out, tired all the time, and gained it back. Every time I gained it back.