Frustratingly slow weight loss, why?

Options
kroonha
kroonha Posts: 102 Member
Hi all, here are the details: Female, 21, counting calories & exercising for 9 months now, 1600cal intake, watching my macros - calorie intake and macros calculated through different online calculators.
SW: 75 kg or 209 lbs, now 77 kg 169 lbs

I'm not expecting lose 5 a month, but on average, for the past few months I've lost 1 or 2 . I count my calories strictly, with one day a week where I'm allowed to go over but even then I don't binge like crazy, mostly it is maybe 100/200 calories over my daily budget. I wanted to approach weight loss in a healthy manner but even doing so, I would never have thought my progress would be so slow.

My breakfast is usually greek yoghurt with muesli and some sort of fruit ~350 calories, lunch is whatever I feel like from what's in the kitchen, anywhere 200-500~ and dinner is usually no more than ~500. The rest of the spare calories I fill with fruit/something sweet/drinks.

Dinner always includes protein & lots of veggies.

I exercise at least 3 times a week, but aim to have 5 sessions. I do 30 minutes of cardio at least twice a week and then the other days I do both cardio and weight lifting.

Why on earth is my weight loss so slow? I've had my hormones & thyroid checked so it's not that. I use a scale to weigh my food and once a month I take measurements with a tape measure but even those don't change much, if I've lost a month.
For instance I first weighed 77 at the beginning of May, now we are at the end and although a few times I was at 76.5 or so, this morning I weighed at 77 again. Now it will probably take another week before I see 76.5 again.

I just don't understand and it is so frustrating. I wouldn't mind if I saw visual improvements in my body, but really nothing is changing. I'm not going to lower my calories because my BMR is at 1,550.

Any one have any encouraging words or had a similar experience?

TL;DR - Working out, eating right, losing 1 kg if I'm lucky for the past 4-5 months. What gives?

Replies

• sjd1974
    sjd1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you revisited your diet "profile" on MFP? I am 5'7", 160lbs and my daily calorie intake is 1200 calories. Granted, this increases with the exercise I complete every day. It may be that 1600 calories was great at 209lbs, but now that you have lost a good deal, you might want to adjust. Congrats on 40lbs down!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lower my calories because my BMR is at 1,550.
    There's your problem. Ignore that BS.
    The rest of the spare calories I fill with fruit/something sweet/drinks.

That should inhibit fat loss nicely. Have an omelette or bacon and egg for breakfast.
  • kroonha
    Options

That should inhibit fat loss nicely. Have an omelette or bacon and egg for breakfast.
    [/quote]

I'm sorry but I highly doubt that eating an apple as a snack will slow down weight loss. Even a cookie won't do it if it's in my calories, especially in my carb and sugar limitations.

Thanks, but I doubt this is the problem.

As for where breakfast is concerned, why would eating an omelette or bacon be any different to eating my usual breakfast? It fills me until lunch time & there's a balance of nutrients.
  • kroonha
    Options
    When was the last time you revisited your diet "profile" on MFP? I am 5'7", and my daily calorie intake is 1200 calories. Granted, this increases with the exercise I complete every day. It may be that 1600 calories was great at , but now that you have lost a good deal, you might want to adjust. Congrats on down!

I've calculated my calorie intake through taking 20% off my TDEE. Which puts me at 1,600 calories.
    I also ate at 1, 200 when I started my journey, but I was always hungry.

Either way, I've looked at all the calculators and even if I lower my calories to 1,200, if I were to add my exercise calories, that would go back to 1,500-1,600.

I don't know where the problem is, but last time I attempted to lower my calories, I was always tired and hungry & had no fuel for my work outs...
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but I highly doubt that eating an apple as a snack will slow down weight loss. Even a cookie won't do it if it's in my calories, especially in my carb and sugar limitations.

Thanks, but I doubt this is the problem.

As for where breakfast is concerned, why would eating an omelette or bacon be any different to eating my usual breakfast? It fills me until lunch time & there's a balance of nutrients.
    [/quote]

If you are over your calories for the day, it will/can be the problem. It doesn't matter if it's an apple or a cookie, over your calories is over...
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    have you experimented with dropping down 10% from where you are now, as far as caloric intake? Maybe you have a different metabolic rate than what's been calculated, and actually need a little less. I know you mentioned that you tried going all the way down to 1200, but maybe your sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, like 1350-1450? You could always try that for like 3 weeks, and see how you respond.

Congrats on the big loss so far!
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Looking at all the info the only thing I can think of is inaccurate logging.
    The maths isn't adding up :(
    This could be from food logging, or exercise.

Have you thought about reducing your calories by 100 a day for a couple of weeks? see if anything changes?
    How are you measuring your exercise calories?
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    with one day a week where I'm allowed to go over but even then I don't binge like crazy, mostly it is maybe 100/200 calories over my daily budget.

And we have a winner. Log your calories accurately when you go over.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Since you are losing, albeit slowly, I think a good place to start researching is with your food. Here is great link to help you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • seabirdie12
    seabirdie12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking everything meticulously? Not just estimating, but really tracking and recording everything? Even on your treat day? If you're just guesstimating the 100-200 over, you could be eating more than you think you are. No one likes to admit that the problem is with their recording, but a lot of times it is.

If you're 100% sure that you're recording every thing you put in your mouth, and recording it accurately, have you thought about increasing your calories for a bit? Maybe up to 1700 or 1800? You said that you've had everything tested, so you're not a scientific anomaly. I don't believe in the "starvation mode" thing, but maybe eating a little bit more will give your body a break and kind of reset things? I don't know, some people say it works for them. I've also heard people suggest calorie cycling. So keep your 1500, but 2 days a week bump it up to 1700, and 2 days a week down 1300 on the days you don't workout. Use one of the higher calorie days for your treat day, that way you'll stay within your calorie goal for the week.

Just some suggestions. :) Good luck!
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm having somewhat the same problem. Losing and gaining the same 3-4 lbs over 3-4 weeks even though I've not changed anything and was losing 1 - 1.5 lbs per week before that. The only things I have come up with are:

your food scales are way off
    the nutritional info on the food you are using is way off - its a fact that it can be but then that won't have suddenly changed
    the scales you use to weigh yourself are off (try changing the batteries or buying new ones)
    It's water retention (due to changes in your monthly cycle, or sleep pattern or stress levels)

I think you should try doing what some others have suggested and drop your calories by 100 or so a day to see if that makes a difference over the next month. If it does then problem solved. That's what I'm going to try.
  • JennEason1
    JennEason1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    what are you doing in terms of exercise? If you are lifting weights perhaps you are gaining muscle but losing fat. Do you feel different? Are your clothes fitting differently? Of course weigh yourself here and there but perhaps you should stay away from the scale and not obsess about the number you see. Instead focus on your training, lift weight and the fat will melt away. A girl can weigh 120lbs but be squishy all over while the next girl is 130lbs with abs of steel and biceps to drool over. My point is, although the scale is a good tool, use the way you feel and look as a gauge of your progress. I think your calorie intake is good. Maybe up your protein and add another workout to your week. See where that gets you. Good luck!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food on a digital food scale? Do you log everything? Do you eat any exercise calories back, or is it a flat 1600?
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've calculated my calorie intake through taking 20% off my TDEE. Which puts me at 1,600 calories.
    I also ate at 1, 200 when I started my journey, but I was always hungry.

Either way, I've looked at all the calculators and even if I lower my calories to 1,200, if I were to add my exercise calories, that would go back to 1,500-1,600.

I don't know where the problem is, but last time I attempted to lower my calories, I was always tired and hungry & had no fuel for my work outs...

Maybe you over estimated your TDEE or maybe you over estimated your calorie burn from exercise.

Don't make this more complicated than it has to be. Your problem likely is one of these things:

Problem: Inaccurate logging
    Solution: Re-evaluate food entries, make sure everything you eat is logged, ensure portions are correct (measure with a scale)

Problem: Calorie goal too high
    Solution: Lower by 100 calories per day, eat at this level for 2 weeks, re-evaluate rate of weight loss

Problem: TDEE estimate too high
    Solution: Reduce calories as noted above, add in additional workouts, or re-run calculator with lower activity modifier to establish new calorie goal

Hope some of this helps - good luck.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    40lbs in 9mos? That is not slow. That is fantastic!!! What are you expecting 10lbs per month??? 1lb a week is great and you are over that at times.

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks are going to be higher, some are lower. You are 21.....relax! I know you want your weight to be gone right this minute but it's not going to happen. It takes time and you are doing fantastic. You are losing at a sustainable rate. Dropping weight too fast by slashing calories is not healthy and in the end you will gain back weight because you have deprived your body of needed fuel.

Anyone telling you that you are not losing weight at a good rate is unrealistic and not one to pay attention to!

Keep up the good work and just realize that losing weight is not instantaeous and is a journey.

Keep doing what your doing!!
  • kroonha
    Options
    If you are over your calories for the day, it will/can be the problem. It doesn't matter if it's an apple or a cookie, over your calories is over...

I said my spare calories! Of course I'm not going to snack if I've filled up my daily calories, on the other hand if I've got 200 to spare at the end of the day, I will have a little something.
  • kroonha
    Options
    Looking at all the info the only thing I can think of is inaccurate logging.
    The maths isn't adding up :(
    This could be from food logging, or exercise.

Have you thought about reducing your calories by 100 a day for a couple of weeks? see if anything changes?
    How are you measuring your exercise calories?

Yeah, I think I will go to 1400-1500 for June and see if that improves anything.

I log my cardio calories with my HRM, but my daily intake has been calculated with exercise in mind, so I don't eat back exercise calories :)

I don't think it is inaccurate logging, I weigh everything & check the nutrition labels according to what's in the database here.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale. I was on a 4 month plateau but when I started really weighing my food I started losing again.

Best of Luck,
    Joanna
  • kroonha
    Options
    with one day a week where I'm allowed to go over but even then I don't binge like crazy, mostly it is maybe 100/200 calories over my daily budget.

And we have a winner. Log your calories accurately when you go over.

I do log those calories that go over.
  • kroonha
    Options
    Invest in a food scale. I was on a 4 month plateau but when I started really weighing my food I started losing again.

Best of Luck,
    Joanna

Thanks, but as I stated I already weight all my food with a food scale.