Being "Over" on Protein?

Options
When I log my food for the day I'm almost always over on my "allowed" protein points. Is this a bad thing? I'm within range on the rest of the categories...

Replies

• KDHW
    KDHW Posts: 2
    Options
    same thing is happening to me
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not bad. Think of protien as a goal to hit, not something to stay under. Same with fiber. :)
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too, but I'm on a lower carb diet, so I expect it. I just make sure I get my protein in. If I'm a little over, well, that's just how it is. :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Nope not bad unless you're going over by hundreds of mgs. you know? too much of ANYTHING is bad (even apples, bananas, fruits etc) but over by a few, nah....no biggie. Protein is good :)
  • emjprincess
    Options
    Same here! Personally, I don't think it matters. Protein keeps you fuller for longer and is what builds muscle...which in turn burns energy by merely 'being' a muscle! If you don't exercise then the extra protein will be converted to energy, so will slow down weightloss. But if you use the extra protein by building muscle/toning, I don't think it'll be much of a problem. Before I joined Myfitnesspal, I had followed lower carb, high protein diets to lose weight. Always with sucess. I'm no expert but that's my opinion on the matter! :) xx
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    MFP's original protein recommendations are REALLY low (I think they're set based on USDA recommendations?). You can change your macronutrient percentages by going to "my home" "goals" "custom" "change goals."

MFP sets you up at 15% protein. I feel much better when I eat eat 25%-30% protien (which generally puts me over 100g/day).
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over on protein & fiber and that's when I lose fat & built muscle & alleviate all the aches & pains I put myself in from my workouts :tongue:
    When I'm over on carbs, sodium or sugar, that's where I notice I suffer!
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    Maybe you all should change your protein ratios for calorie intake...so instead of being 30% of your daily intake, the goal would be 35% and thus would lower your fat or carb intake goals. Just a thought.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice here. Definitely change your goals so your protein reflects what you want it to. I like the advice given about trying to at least eat as much protein as it says you should have, and not to worry about going over. I too follow a low carb diet, so I changed my parameters to reflect this.
  • emjprincess
    Options
    Maybe you all should change your protein ratios for calorie intake...so instead of being 30% of your daily intake, the goal would be 35% and thus would lower your fat or carb intake goals. Just a thought.

Good idea!!! I'm gonna do that! Thanks :) xx
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I tried that when I first started: If I up protein, I lower carbs & I can't go any lower than I'm at now or I pass out (we've tried it & it is not a good thing!). It just means that that little red# for protein or fiber makes me smile as long as the rest stay green :wink:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Protein is a GOOD thing the same as Fiber is a GOOD thing. You WANT to go over the protein levels because that is the MINIMUM. Protein helps you build and maintain strong muscles. It has no bad function.
  • bengabbin
    Options
    I learned through a nutrion class that you actually want an average of 70-100 grams of protein a day to maintain muscle and it keeps your appetite under control and makes your brain think you are full longer. Not a bad thing to have. If you get over the 100 grams, your body starts to discard it and you can deal with plugging up issues so balance with high fiber foods too:)
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    No it's not a bad thing :) Protein is something that keeps you fuller for longer so the more you can cram in to a day the better! I was told by my doc to try for at least 90g/day so don't worry about it! :)