Ladies, how much does your weigh fluctuate before that TOM?

Options
I've been on this WLJ for 25 days. I started logging & weighing right after my last period. I'm due to start my period any day now & my weight is creeping up. Do other ladies fluctuate the week before that TOM & if so, how much? Am I worried for no reason?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    A LOT of women experience this. I'd venture to say the majority, even. It's super common and will most likely go back down within a few days of the start of your period.

For me, my weight doesn't actually increase, but does stall completely - not even 0.2lb loss - for about 6 days every month pretty predictably (my period is fairly irregular but if I get the same weight 3 days in a row then I know to expect my period in 1-2 days).
  • 1974lynnette
    1974lynnette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was worried that I was doing something wrong.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    About 7 days before, I stall. Then, 2-3 days before, I can gain anywhere from 2-5 pounds. I don't weigh myself during this time. I use an app called My Days so I can track this. That way I don't unwittingly get on the scale, see I'm up 2 pounds when I've done everything right, have a complete and total meltdown, and eat an entire chocolate cake. But yeah. That water retention is a B**TCH.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is normal and mine could go up as high as 5 lbs. Don’t worry about it because it will go away.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have had a hysterectomy but STILL go through the hormonal cycles and I dont really show a weight loss until my no longer cycle comes and goes. I hold upwards of 5-7 lbs of water retention ( pretty gnarly leg edema with it :/ can leave thumb prints in my shins ) Then boom notice the weight loss afterwards.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I went up about five pounds this most recent tom, but it went back to normal in two or three days. Not to worry.
  • 1974lynnette
    1974lynnette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use an app to track my cycle also. Thanks for the replies. It makes me feel a lot better & maybe I should stay away from the scale for a few days.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    2-4 lbs everytime, the scale is good and bad, at first I got on the scale daily and I would see these weight fluctuations and it would make me feel like I was failing so in that since it was bad, very bad, but after about 3 or four months of weighing everyday I say a pattern. Weight loss is not linear! it will go up and down daily weekly and monthly, but I found out the more times I saw the scale rise got discouraged, kept going and see that the scale would go back down after a few days the scale doesnt bother me anymore. now I kinda enjoy seeing where I am at almost daily. If you are going to focus on what the scale says you must understand that weight is not stable and not the only indicator of what is going on inside
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't fluctuate at all. I weigh in once a week and I see no noticeable difference on period week compared to the other weeks. However, plenty of women do experience water retention during their period. It's normal.

Am I the only one that's sick of all this 'TOM' crap? It's called a period, a menstrual cycle, bleeding from your vagina - these aren't bad words, so there's no need to hide behind initials.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    4-6lbs for me. It drives me nuts.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It's so reassuring to hear everyone's experience. I'm only 2 weeks into meticulous food logging and my "real" weight loss/healthy life change. I track my cycles, too, so I know I've just entered post ovulation. I've been struggling to eat enough calories (recovering from a "feast or famine" self harm lifestyle of yo-yo eating), so now I know not to "freak out" when/if I find it easier to hit my 1,450 net kcal, vs. the "OMG, I'm totally 'cramming' in food to reach just 1400 or so total--I'm so stuffed".
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I log my weight every day and no, I can't see any trends around TOM. Weekends are the time I stall and bloat if I drink.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just had mine, and I paid attention to see if it did but surprisingly it actually didn't seem to have any effect on it. I suppose it's different for everyone. I don't seem to ever have any bloating or anything with mine, just the mood, pains, extra junk food cravings/decreased self control.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Not very much. My TOM'S are pretty light. Maybe a quarter of a pound? OK, they're not real TOM'S... they're BOB'S from Skechers.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My weight doesn't really fluctuate. I jest get major chocolate cravings so I risk overeating :grumble:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't fluctuate at all. I weigh in once a week and I see no noticeable difference on period week compared to the other weeks. However, plenty of women do experience water retention during their period. It's normal.

Am I the only one that's sick of all this 'TOM' crap? It's called a period, a menstrual cycle, bleeding from your vagina - these aren't bad words, so there's no need to hide behind initials.
    It's also been called "that time of the month" (a period of time, a periodical....) for generations. What's the issue with that? A period (of time) or a time of the month. meh. Sounds the same to me.
    fwiw, I don't consider using initials "hiding", just as calling my husband DH from time to time isn't hiding. Nor is the use of DOMS and so many other abbreviations...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My weight loss would stall, then the scale would go up 2-5 pounds. (Also happened during ovulation.)
    Stop weighing if it helps your stress level, but for me, daily weighing helped me see patterns.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Weigh naturally will fluctuate during your period as well as ovulation. How much depends from person to person, some don't at all.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Usually about 6 pounds - starts to creep up 2-3 pounds in the two or three days before, is 5-6 up for the five days I'm actually menstruating, and it all vanishes two days after I finish.
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personally I can gain as much as 10 lbs during ToM & then be back to normal by the 2nd-3rd day afterwards. I have stopped weighing myself around that time just to be safe haha.