Trim down then add muscle? Or combo of both?

Options
Hello,

I have been following a low calorie diet in an attempt to lose about 10 lbs (back to pre baby weight). I also have a goal to get toned and build some muscle definition. I have been doing some cardio (running 2-3 miles at 10 minute pace, and walking in the evening pushing my stroller with 2 girls) and also have been lifting pretty heavily (4x a week), thus far I have been fluctuating up 2 lbs from start weight and back down to start weight but haven't lost anything. I realize it has only been a week of totally following the plan but I feel I have been decently eating for a while now.

My question is should I focus on just losing the 10 lbs first and then add weight training in to get toned and build muscle mass or can I do this all at once?

*Side note I also just finished weaning my 9 month old this week so maybe hormones have a play in all this?

Thank you so much for your help.

Replies

• KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit, but you can preserve the muscle you already have.

The answer is do both. Cardio and a progressive loading program such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 will get you "toned."

Good luck.

ETA: your nutrition is key though. you don't lose if that part isn't right. I do more lifting than cardio and have still lost inches.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It's been a week.

Are you eating at a deficit? Are you logging your food?
  • Mpulczinski
    Options
    Yes, just officially started logging my food this week eating 1200-1400 calories a day. I just want to make sure that strength training and cardio together is a good idea for overall weight loss and toning/building muscle, or if I need to just do cardio and LIGHT strength training. I realize that sounds silly but I feel like after I lift heavily I weight MORE the next few days and it isn't seeming to budge the scales (maybe in time it will be different).

Thanks for any insight.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy is generally agreed as the best option for fat loss as well as muscle gain (not at the same time though)

which one you do first (fat loss or muscle gain) will depend mainly on your primary goals. based on what you've said i would recommend building muscle first, then cutting down fat.