Eating out

Options
In the restaurant we are going to, it has a section for meals under 700cals.
On here, I calculated the meal as about 430calories.
So which number would I go with, I'm not exactly sure what sort of oils etc they use, should I round it to 500 and leave it at that or use the 700?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So which number would I go with, I'm not exactly sure what sort of oils etc they use, should I round it to 500 and leave it at that or use the 700?

Um why would you take the phrase under 700 cals to mean 700 cals esp considering you calculated it as 430ish (which you prob left out a few things in your calculation)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I always round up.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    430 is under 700 so there's no particular reason to think your calculation is wrong.

If you're concerned about underestimating then bump it a bit. But ideally your daily diet should be flexible enough to accommodate a 200 or so calorie variation.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    im confused, does the section say UNDER 700 cals, or 700 cals?
    how did you calculate the calories without exact ingredients?

alot of restaurants have nutritional information on their webpage, but if its a small restaurant then you'll probably have to estimate those calories
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I always round up.

Rounding from 430 to 700 isnt rounding up. That is tacking on an additional 50%+.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant says the meal is 700 calories, I'd log it as 700 calories. As you said, you have no idea what exactly they're using to prep, what amount of ingredients, etc.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Most of those restaurants give the actual calorie count of each item.....or they are available on-line. If you can not find it I would use 700 to be safe.
  • Short_n_Plump
    Options
    If the restaurant says the meal is 700 calories, I'd log it as 700 calories. As you said, you have no idea what exactly they're using to prep, what amount of ingredients, etc.
    The restaurant says 700 calories and under..
    Its chicken, grilled(sorry), with a jacket potato alongside some sides (will calculate seperately)
    Would I go with something like 500/ 600 as I'm unsure of the exact brands etc
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I always round up.

Rounding from 430 to 700 isnt rounding up. That is tacking on an additional 50%+.
    Ha.
    True.
    What I actually meant is when I see two diff numbers for a same product I go with the higher number.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Go online and find the nutritional value for the items. That's what I always do. Sometimes I round up a bit to keep me inline with my goals for the day.

We don't eat out that much anymore and when I do, I go online before we even go and decide what I'm having.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I always round up.

Ha.
    True.
    What I actually meant is when I see two diff numbers for a same product I go with the higher number.

When the category says UNDER 700 cals, each individual meal usually has the individual calorie estimate listed beside each title of the dish. That's the way it's been for me at 90% of the places I've eaten at.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    If you go to the resturants website it should give you the calories for the indivual meal. If it doesnt go somewhere else.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    In
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Usually the actual calorie count will be on the company's website. In which case, you should go by that. Others have the calorie count on the menu itself at the resturant. I always round up or go half way between my estimation and the max estimation if I can't be sure. Just so I have a buffer zone.
  • bioya40
    bioya40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Unless it is local place I look on the internet for nutrition information for places that we are going to. That is the information that I would use.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you go to the resturants website it should give you the calories for the indivual meal. If it doesnt go somewhere else.

Worst answer ever. Usually the restaurants that do list cals for each meal are pretty crappy compared to those that don't
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Log it as what the restaurant says. In some states legally they have to post the calories. They would not risk getting it wrong from a legal standpoint.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Worst answer ever. Usually the restaurants that do list cals for each meal are pretty crappy compared to those that don't

Yeah, a small family owned restaurant is not going to have the calories on the menu or website UNLESS they state they are in requires it. Also, it's easy to forget that Chili's, Applebees, Olive Garden are still all technically classified as fast food (they are not actually cooking from scratch just heating things in plastic bags and doing prep).
  • Short_n_Plump
    Options
    Log it as what the restaurant says. In some states legally they have to post the calories. They would not risk getting it wrong from a legal standpoint.
    I'm not in US, i'm in Uk, they don't post the calories next to the meal where I am going