So friggin tired..

Options
I am in a slump..I used to wake up energized and ready to attack my video..and lately, I am simply exhausted. Granted, I have been busy outside working..but its terriably frustrating for me. my husband says I dont need to go 6 days a week..that 2-3 are OK..but I find myself very antsy on my food for the day if I dont get a workout in.

My diary is open..could this be nutrition related? I have low potassium..which is why I eat a bananna every morning.

Im also up in weight..but considering the past few days have included some not so wonderful foods..Ill acept it may be temporary.

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? Drinking enough water each day? Do you take any kind of multivitamin with iron and B-vitamins?

All of the above have helped my energy levels. Also you might just need a break to completely rest your body for a few days.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    When I started feeling really fatigued, my nutritionist looked at my diet and discovered I wasn't getting enough potassium and iron. Maybe upping those or taking a supplement could help. Since I've increased both of those and started taking a B-12 supplement, I haven't felt nearly as run down.
  • chaemd
    chaemd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? Drinking enough water each day? Do you take any kind of multivitamin with iron and B-vitamins?

All of the above have helped my energy levels. Also you might just need a break to completely rest your body for a few days.
    All very good points. Also, stress can drain you. Something that plagues those of us fighting the weight-loss battle - stressing about our stresses, which keeps us from sleeping well and getting what we need out of our workouts. Finally, it might not hurt to see a doctor and get a physical. I would first take MamaHannick's advice and if that doesn't work, go see the doctor.
  • asiantaye
    asiantaye Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi, I have this issue from time to time. I get upset at myself when I do. Im no expert , but when I get to feeling like this. I get some type of detox tea.(Yogi or Celestrial seasonings are the two I use). I increase my greens(kale, spinach ect) and green tea. I will take a day off from working out. it normally helps me when I got back to working out the next day. You are not alone. I have the same issue.
  • bluffnmuffn318
    bluffnmuffn318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ugghh that's how I feel today. Potassium will help if your not getting enough
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    thanks
    I do not take a multi vitamin..and its something Ive considered. Any suggestions? preferably gummies..I have a HARD time swallowing the big pills. I was choking down a womens one a day for awhile, but I just cant do those pills anymore

I do do alot..and I may not be getting enough sleep..my hubby sleeps in til 6:15, while I am up at 4:45. he goes to be after 11PM and I usually will sit up with him.

I do drink about 8 bottles of water a day..I just forget to log it..:)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Could you be pregnant ?? Sorry, first thing I think of .......

You say you work outside, so give yourself some slack ...... try to get plenty of rest ......

Feel better soon :drinker:
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You should give your body a rest from exercise! I know how you feel...I work out six days a week and I really have to force myself to do a rest day. I have read that you should have at least (!) one rest day a week and every couple of weeks you should take up to a whole week of. Not sure I can ever do the last thing though...

Also enough water and sleep are important!

Lastly, perhaps make yourself a vegetable smoothie in the morning to get all your micro nutrients in your body. If you use spinach, it will take care of your iron levels. Add some protein powder, fruits (preferably a handful of berries), almond milk (vanilla), a spoon of peanut butter, chia seeds and flax seeds and you have everything your body needs.

And...did I say rest ;)

Best of luck
    Stef.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    thanks
    I do not take a multi vitamin..and its something Ive considered. Any suggestions? preferably gummies..I have a HARD time swallowing the big pills. I was choking down a womens one a day for awhile, but I just cant do those pills anymore

I do do alot..and I may not be getting enough sleep..my hubby sleeps in til 6:15, while I am up at 4:45. he goes to be after 11PM and I usually will sit up with him.

I do drink about 8 bottles of water a day..I just forget to log it..:)

For the gummies, they're mostly pretty similar as far as reported content. Gummies have a more limited range of vitamins and minerals because there are so many that they can't make taste decent. I'd go with a company that follows GMP and is certified. I just bought some NatureMade multis for this reason, but there are plenty of other options. SmartyPants makes a gummy that additionally includes fiber and Omega-3s, if that interests you. I'd already bought other Omega-3 caplets or I'd have tried those.

If you want to try a more comprehensive vitamin, do some research on liquid vitamins. I thought about trying those, but the gummies are so convenient and actually taste good that I hate to switch at this point :)
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    I work inside..but then at home, go and work outside taking care of critters,ect,ect.

Id love to give smoothies a try..Im just scared, if that makes sense, of accurate logging. I usually have a protein shake mid morning and a bananna. my husband says Im cutting out to many carbs..carbs are my waterloo..simply whites dont interact well with me...I was going to try a bananna smoothies this morning, but got scared with the accurate logging thing.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    COFFEE. :D

I'm sorry for not being more helpful.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You're maintaining on 1400 calories a day and workout 6 times a week? How did you calculate your calories? They seem pretty low, which could easily explain why you are feeling fatigued. Also, check for symptoms of overtraining as well.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Options
    Actually. Yes coffee. Or if you can't drink a pot in the morning before your workout, then you should work out in the afternoon.

Also, Bananas are not really all that high in potassium. 8 a day will get you there, but that's too much for me personally.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You're pretty low on carbs, and the carbs you're getting seem to be high-glycemic (even bananas and Grape Nuts are fairly high in GI score: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm). My guess is your fatigue is from low blood sugar during the day.

Carbs don't have to be your Waterloo. Try getting some more lower-glycemic index carbs like beans, apples, brown rice, regular oatmeal, and vegetables, and try to include them in every meal, if you can. They will be absorbed more slowly and you won't have blood-sugar swings.

If you're going to do low-carb, then my suggestion is to do it all the way (following a program like Atkins). You need to get your body to make the metabolic shift to ketosis so that your body uses fat more efficiently for energy, but you won't go into ketosis while you're eating some of the stuff you have in your diary. You'll just be stuck in low-energy limbo.

Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're maintaining on 1400 calories a day and workout 6 times a week? How did you calculate your calories? They seem pretty low, which could easily explain why you are feeling fatigued. Also, check for symptoms of overtraining as well.

Agreed
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    SLEEP! I'm going to get a little sleep-evangelical here, but sleep is so often overlooked.You are almost certainly not getting enough sleep if you are going to bed at 11 and getting up before 5.

It's really, really hard for most people to prioritize sleep and make the time, but sleep is a big contributor to healing, immunity, hormonal balance, mental function, energy, mood... pretty much everything. Do some reading on the benefits of sleep and really consider if it's worth shorting yourself. You're tired. Tired people are usually not enjoying life that much.

Don't skrimp on sleep to work out every day. Find a way to rearrange your schedule. Cut something out.

I've been trying to prioritize sleep this year, and I really notice a difference in my energy and appetite. I manage to get in about 7.5 hours every night, feel better with 8.5, and I feel even better if I also sleep in on the weekends and get 9 hours. It used to feel like a waste of time, but I eat less and enjoy everything so much more when I'm rested.
  • Moggsey17
    Moggsey17 Posts: 2
    Options
    just throwing this out there: have you checked to make sure you don't have hypothyroidism?
  • Chris_Pierce
    Options
    Yep. Sleep is huge. Coffee is not a replacement. It's okay though, sometimes you just have to make due with the sleep you get. I only got 4 hours last night due to a sick little girl :(
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    SLEEP! I'm going to get a little sleep-evangelical here, but sleep is so often overlooked.You are almost certainly not getting enough sleep if you are going to bed at 11 and getting up before 5.

It's really, really hard for most people to prioritize sleep and make the time, but sleep is a big contributor to healing, immunity, hormonal balance, mental function, energy, mood... pretty much everything. Do some reading on the benefits of sleep and really consider if it's worth shorting yourself. You're tired. Tired people are usually not enjoying life that much.

Don't skrimp on sleep to work out every day. Find a way to rearrange your schedule. Cut something out.

I've been trying to prioritize sleep this year, and I really notice a difference in my energy and appetite. I manage to get in about 7.5 hours every night, feel better with 8.5, and I feel even better if I also sleep in on the weekends and get 9 hours. It used to feel like a waste of time, but I eat less and enjoy everything so much more when I'm rested.

^^^THIS^^^
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I also noticed your carb intake is low and that's our primary source of energy so that might be the problem. You can incorporate increasing your potassium at the same time by eating foods like sweet potatoes, spinach, etc.

You also tend to come in under your calorie goal every day, sometimes by a couple hundred calories. If you're not eating enough, you're not getting enough nutrition and that's definitely going to lead to making you tired. Especially since you're being more active these days. Either log your outdoor activities as exercise or increase your activity level to at least lightly active so your calorie goal reflects your current needs and try hard to meet that goal as often as you can. There's already a deficit included in that number - no need to come in under. Hell, you could even come in over by 100-200 now and then and still lose.

You also may need to try to drink a bit more water with your increase in activity.

If none of that helps, you may want to think about having your doc do a comprehensive blood test to check your iron levels, etc.